FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I need a computer game recommendation.

Author Topic: I need a computer game recommendation.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting burned out on the games I own and I need a recommendation. I like:

RPGs (both in the vein of Neverwinter and Elder Scrolls)
RTS games (has anyone played Supreme Commander? any good?)
...and MMOs. sigh.

Anyone got something they've played recently that they absolutely MUST recommend?

Recently I've played and either disliked or am done with:

WoW
Vampire: Bloodlines
Medieval II
Any and all free MMOs
Rise of Legends

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Do they necessarily have to be new?

I'm thinking about Fallout/Fallout 2 if you missed those, The Knights of the Old Republic, the remake of Star Control 2 (called the Ur-Quan Masters), The Freedom Force games, and I know my roommate really likes Company of Heroes.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Do they necessarily have to be new?

I'm thinking about Fallout/Fallout 2 if you missed those, The Knights of the Old Republic, the remake of Star Control 2 (called the Ur-Quan Masters), The Freedom Force games, and I know my roommate really likes Company of Heroes.

Played them all 'cept company of heroes.

I may be the only RP gamer in history that thought the fallout games were "meh."

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I have enjoyed the Mechwarrior series.

Resident Evil 4 was not too terrible.

Thief 1 and 2 were nice. I haven't played Thief 3.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
No real suggestions, but I know where you're coming from. I'm waiting on some freeware mods and TCs to finish up right now. Sometimes a return to the classics (or the bargain bin) can help.

If you're willing to wait, Empire Earth III's due out this fall, which may or may not be good for you depending on whether or not you liked its predecessors.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
I may be the only RP gamer in history that thought the fallout games were "meh."

Bizarre, but to each his or her own.
As for Mechwarrior, I only really liked the first two (and the expansion pack).

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second Company of Heroes.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Company of Heroes = Best Strategy Game Ever Made
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Is it an FPS? It looks like an FPS.

I don't really like FPS war games. [Frown]

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

Company of Heroes is an tactical RTS by Relic. I'm told it has near-FPS-levels of graphical and animated detail.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by James Tiberius Kirk:
Company of Heroes is an tactical RTS by Relic. I'm told it has near-FPS-levels of graphical and animated detail.

--j_k

...reHEAlly.

<browses more>

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Homeworld I & II are always fun.
Battle for Middle-Earth I and II are awesome as well.
[Smile]
For some turn based games try Master of Orion and Age of Wonders.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

And while you're at the store, you might want to pick up whatever version of Sudden Strike you find too. If you like WWII strategy, you'll love the game(s).
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Oblivion
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, if you've played and enjoyed RPGs before and played and enjoyed the Elder Scrolls games, I can say with nearly total certainty you'll love Oblivion.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely Oblivion and Neverwinter Nights 2.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for CivIV and Guild Wars.

CivIV is my favorite strategy and Guild Wars takes the best parts of Diablo 2 and MMORPG and combines them together--plus there is no subscription.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Galactic Civilizations 2 is a really fun turn based strategy game, and the new expansion has gotten pretty good reviews, so those might be worth checking out.

On the RPG end, I'll second the Oblivion recommendation. Also, have you played the Baldur's Gate games yet? Both of them are among the best RPGs ever made, although I personally consider the second to be by far the better of the two. Even if you played them in the past, there is (was?) a pretty decent mod community around them, so it might be worth looking into some of the mods and replaying the games.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by James Tiberius Kirk:

--j_k

...reHEAlly.

<browses more>

<grin> I'm told.

--j_k

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't call its graphics near-FPS. They're the best RTS graphics I've ever seen, especially the effects, but the models and textures are still basic by FPS standards. It really is a great game, though.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Yeah, if you've played and enjoyed RPGs before and played and enjoyed the Elder Scrolls games, I can say with nearly total certainty you'll love Oblivion.

I think I'm one of the rare people that contradict this statement. I loved Morrowwind. However, between the bad leveling system, the rather bland world, and the repetitive Oblivion gates, I really didn't like Oblivion.
The one saving grace is that I recently got a new video card so Oblivion looks *oh* so incredibly nice. I still ended up finishing the game, but meh.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
The most recent Age of Empires.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here are the games I've been having fun with lately:

Civilization IV. Play it, love it, live it.

Half-Life & Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike. Eh, I got em all in a bundle. Fun games, and my first FPS games ever. Decent enough.

Homeworld 2 is really fun. And if yuo like Battlestar Galactica, they're making a really neat total conversion for BSG, the highest quality I've ever seen for that kinda thing.

Company of Heroes has amazing graphics, at least better than PS2 Medal of Honor games, and it's a very realistic RTS. My WW2 enthusiast friend's only complaints were "it takes less rockets than THAT to kill a Panther!" and "those guys are stupid, running out in the open like that!" Those abovementioned guys promptly got cut up by machine gun fire, so... you be the judge.

Oblivion is a wonderful, amazing game.

If yuo have a PS2, play Final Fantasy XII. Wow.

An awesome game, Sins of a Solar Empire, which is a combination 4X (like Civ) and RTS game, a merger between the two, is coming in August. It should be the greatest space game ever, I hear.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Second Battle For Middle Earth I and II.

What did you think of Medieval II? I was looking at getting it, but was waiting for the price to drop, or to get a used copy with the CD Key. Is it worth it? I missed the last two, this one and Rome, so I don't know what changes they have made since Shogun and Medieval I.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I keep wanting to check out Second Life. It looks interesting.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Space Rangers 2 was really quite impressive. It pretty successfully melded together a number of genres. Oblivion is a definite need to play game.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I downloaded the mods for Oblivion, so it took care of the leveling problems and some other problems as well.

It is a great game, IMO.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Company of Heroes is a great game, with good unit/squad AI. You can let units alone to do their own fighting for a bit without them getting completely destroyed (usually). It's a lot of fun, but I'm not good at it at all.

The graphics are very enjoyable at least [Big Grin]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
For Fantasy RPGs, you HAVE to play Planescape: Torment. One of the best RPGs out there. It's maybe 10 years old, but it still holds up. Good voice work, awesome story, fun game progression, and it's one of the RPGs where your choices make a big difference in what happens. Lots of fun.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! I entered the the thread to recommend VtM: Bloodlines, which has left me fat and happy (and still digesting, it's strange when music I don't normally like haunts me when used effectively... that ending theme..), but it seems you beat me to it.
I hesitate to give my own recommendation if you didn't like that (did you?) or the frist two Fallouts, but I'll have to strongly second Planescape.

A question for Mucus:
I've been wanting to play Star Control 2 since I read how much Tim Cain digs it, is the re-make just a graphic update or a new game?

Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing beats Hover...nothing.

Except maybe Chip's Challenge...

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm playing Pirate King Online right now, it is a free MMO, so I'm not recommending it, just mentioning it. Very cute little game.

Have you played Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura? Looking on Amazon, I see that it is now incredibly expensive (more than it was originally released for, even for a used copy). It has a combat system either Fallout-style or real-time (players choice). It's sort of like fallout in a unique medieval fantasy/industrial revolution setting with much more deeply developed towns, NPC's and story line than Fallout, along with a completely different character building system..... okay, so it's not that much like fallout, but there are similarities. It's very focused on atmosphere and mood, along with presenting interesting, real-world puzzles.

When RPG's start presenting me with annoying puzzles that have only one possible solution and aren't the least bit realistic, well, I get bored fast.

Neverwinter Nights 2 held my interest about to the end of the first chapter, where I became incurably bored with it. At the point where they had me running around in a library reading books and answering questions, I said, "This is ridiculous, unbelievable, absolutely required, and not the least bit fun."

I realized that no matter what your character build, you will always have to do this puzzle, and it will always be the same running around and reading books and answering questions. Sure, they throw some enemies at you here and there to try to convince you that it's fun, but it just isn't. And it will always be the same, no matter who you are. And that realization made me want to vomit, so I stopped playing the game, forever. Basically, the only variety in the game comes from choosing how you will look and how you will be killing things. There just wasn't much freedom.

Arcanum will present you with plenty of real-world puzzles that can be solved with persuasion, technical skill, brute force, stealth, magic, or any combination therein + whatever you can think of/ use to your advantage. They will almost never (I use the word "almost" just to be safe) force you into obtaining a goal in a certain way, even up to the very end of the game, which has either 7 or 9 (can't recall off the top of my head) possible endings.

The beauty of Fallout II is that the game changes dramatically based on who you are. If you want to be a pacifist, you can beat the game without ever dealing damage. Not many other RPG's give you that much freedom. Arcanum comes close.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Originally posted by The Flying Dracula Hair:

A question for Mucus:
I've been wanting to play Star Control 2 since I read how much Tim Cain digs it, is the re-make just a graphic update or a new game?

The game is in fact a total update of Star Control II. They actually had access to the original PC code and the 3DO version, took the best elements from both, and then updated, pretty much everything but the story and gameplay.
I highly recommend it for people who did play it "in the day". I have no idea how a new player would react, it probably depends on how much you've adapted to modern graphics/gameplay/etc.

calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
Galactic Civilizations II is pretty smooth if you are into turn based games like CivIV.

Supreme Commander is amazing, especially if you remember the Cave Dog classic, Total Annihilation. Consider this though, just like its predecessor, Supreme Commander will own any computer that isn't shiny and new. I bought it, installed it, played the first mission and shelved it until I can justify an upgrade for the purpose of experiencing the game at something other than 2 frames per second.

(Burning Crusade might have somthing to do with shelfing it too [Wink] )

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I second Supreme Commander (Calaban wanna play a game some time whats your msn/icq) and I also suggest strongly playing games by paradox interactive, Hearts of Iron 2 Doomsday is the best RTS grand strategy game ever made.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Also Anno 1701 is pretty cool, its addictive.
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Check this out, it's more addictive than crack*:

Killing things with turrets - for want of a better name

* Not impirically proven.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
I dont think these have been mentioned yet, so I'll throw them out there:

Fallout: Tactics (maybe not for eros, but I thought it was quite enjoyable similar to the other Fallout games but with more control of the group and more focus on combat)

Old School:
Colonization
X-Com (1&2, I never got into armageddon)

and there was an old game a lot like civ, but with a fantasy/magic theme whos name I can't recall at the moment.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Wow, I go away for a day and the responses pile up!

I've played a lot of what's been recommended here already (especially the older stuff, e.g. Planescape, the Half Lifes, etc.)

I've played Oblivion and enjoyed it for a while, but never finished it because I lost interest.

Lyrhawn, if you liked the previous installments of Medieval, you'll like Total War. The entire series is a bit too nebulously tactical for me, so I could only play it periodically before I ran out of patience. There was a review of it on Gamespot, I believe, that summed up my thoughts on it pretty well.

Much to the horror of most of my friends, I have never been able to get into the Civ games. I think I lack the patience (and usually lack the instruction manuals as well, hooray for used games) to really get into it.

quote:
Supreme Commander is amazing, especially if you remember the Cave Dog classic, Total Annihilation. Consider this though, just like its predecessor, Supreme Commander will own any computer that isn't shiny and new. I bought it, installed it, played the first mission and shelved it until I can justify an upgrade for the purpose of experiencing the game at something other than 2 frames per second.
I loved Total Annihilation, which is why I got really excited when I saw who Supreme Commander was made by. How exacting are the tech requirements, though? My computer's not bleeding edge, but it's not too terribly dated:

GeForce 7900GS 256 meg vid card
Pentium D 930
2 gigs DDR2667 RAM

Apologies if I missed anyone's post, I'll scan through the thread again later when work becomes less busy!

Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Jade Empire has been getting good reviews. I haven't played it, but I like Bioware's style, and I covet it.

There were things I liked a lot in Oblivion, and things that absolutely rubbed me the wrong way. That I kept getting knocked about while blocking with a modified dexterity of over 100, for example. Or that at least two missions have characters sneering at your foolish actions... When you did exactly, and the only thing that would have allowed for successful mission progression. Grr!

And there's another Command & Conquer game coming out. PC Gamer liked it, though they said it was kind of on the "old school" side, so if you aren't into protecting your resource-harvesting units and the like, skip it.

I know people who swear by Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and X-Men Legends 2: Rise of Apocalypse, if those aren't too console-y for your taste.

Oh, and in old-timers, the original Deus Ex is excellent if you don't mind FPS dipped in your RPG and you have the patience to get past a slow start. One of the most flexible and evocative games I've ever played.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

your comp will run supcmdr just fine. i have 1 gig of ram, also if you have a video card with the cpability use 2 screens, you can get the strategic map on one screen and the tactical cmd your units map on the other.
gsim1337
Member # 10168

- posted      Profile for gsim1337   Email gsim1337         Edit/Delete Post 
Guild Wars: Prophecies

Hands down the most playable of the three campaigns, and it has the slowest learning curve. It is also the oldest, so you can get it for cheap.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathematician
Member # 9586

- posted      Profile for Mathematician           Edit/Delete Post 
Not that it's out yet - but I'm anticipating Spore (www.spore.com) more than anything else out there.

The only thing is, I'm not sure when it's coming out.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I recently got Jade Empire, and I enjoy it a lot. It's more action-oriented than straight RPG, similar to the Oblivion style, where you do the fighting yourself.

Good story, nice graphics, very good voice acting. Well done in every way so far.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

I got Supreme Commander and am loving it. The complexity of the micromanagement is either ignorable or taxing, which I'm a big fan of. I need to turn my graphical settings down a bit, though, as I experience some pretty serious slowdown when over ~200 units are in combat, particularly if there's a shield generator involved.

I'll check Jade Empire out, too, most likely.

Between my friends and I, we've played Ultimate Alliance on three different platforms (PS2, XBox, Wii) and all three failed to hold our interest. That game type really just doesn't do it for me. If I'm going to be doing party RP, I'd rather do it BG/NWN style.

I absorbed Deus Ex when it first came out, but haven't played it since...if I can find my install disks, I may pick it up again.

gsim, Guild Wars kind of missed my interest in the MMO realm, for a lot of reasons, but if I can ever find a bargain basement copy of it, I may give it a try.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Get a Frozen Throne cd key and you could play DOTA, a user-made game that I consider to be legitimately more entertaining than most products on the market today!
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
If any of you slip into the Guild Wars franchise, let me know and I will play with you. It gets the airmanfour seal of approval.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
3 games (franchises) have held my interest over the last decade. Second Sight, System Shock 2, and the Civilization games.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
Get a Frozen Throne cd key and you could play DOTA, a user-made game that I consider to be legitimately more entertaining than most products on the market today!

wuts ur name on FT [Smile] I wanna add you.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

quote:

I've played Oblivion and enjoyed it for a while, but never finished it because I lost interest.

Same with me. One of my main requirements for an RPG is that it makes exploration enjoyable, and Oblivion definitely didn't do that.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.