FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Did you change your clock? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Did you change your clock?
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's nearing, or passed 2am for many parts of the US on this second Sunday of March.

Did you remember to change the time on your clock for Daylight Saving Time?

Spring, spring forward.
Fall, fall back.

[ March 11, 2007, 04:19 AM: Message edited by: Zevlag ]

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh. Thanks for the reminder. I'll change 'em now.

Edit: My computer changed automatically. Which explains how it suddenly got so late w/out me realizing it. [Smile]

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I wish they would do away with Daylight Savings Time on a national level. It's just plain silly.

If your job requires daylight to work, change the hours you work during that time of year, don't just arbitrarily change the clocks.

Besides, we have artificial lights now. Get with the program!

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Without Daylight Saving Time, in the summer the sun would rise as early as 4:38 a.m. That's way too early. Even 5:38 a.m. is too early for me. I know it's a hassle, but c'mon - 4:38 a.m.!
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
True. That'd be a problem for me as well. Plus, it would mean that even on days that didn't end at 9pm, it'd be after dark by the time I got home. Which would be depressing.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that explains why my forum time is now 1 1/2 hours out instead of only 1/2 hour. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. Why bother to change when it'll just have to changed back again in a few months?
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm up and awaiting my husband, who is taking a quick shower. We have to be in Huntsville at 8:30 (and it's 2.5 hours from here, so we've got to hustle) for a gymnastics meet with our daughter.

Being the quick-thinking mother that I am, I sent her on ahead with another mom yesterday, they got a hotel room and spent the night so the girls wouldn't have to wake up at "dawn thirty" in order to get there on time. But Daddy and I need to hurry to get there...and guess who's already ready to go? So ready she can log on, check email and Hatrack before she leaves while he's still getting ready?

Anyway, I'm used to getting up at six, but today that meant getting up at five...ugh. I'm just glad my friend was going up yesterday and Em didn't have to get up an hour earlier than she normally does, and then ride in the car for 2.5 hours before she competes.

Wish us luck!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
My point is, rather than change the clocks, just change your schedule. It makes more sense to me to get some thicker curtains, rather than change everyone's schedule.

Why is it horrible for the sun to rise at 4:38 instead of 5:38, but it's no biggie if it sets at 8:43 instead of 7:43?

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I set my computer ahead and then it took another hour. The only reason I knew the correct time (not knowing what my husband had or hadn't set ahead) is that I KNOW I only set my phone ahead once. [Grumble] Now I have to re-set my computer clock back so it won't be an hour fast.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that we had to download a patch for our computers to have the correct time, but I think it changed itself already.

I think... is it 9:18 eastern time?

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
About that - yup...
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I set my computer ahead and then it took another hour.
If you've applied appropriate patches, you should never have to manually change a modern (i.e. with an OS more recently written than Windows 3.1) computer's time for DST.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
My mom sent me a reminder last night, too. I told her it's the 21st century, clocks take care of that themselves. My phone and my computer both do, anyway, and they're the only clocks I use.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I live in ElJay World. [Smile] Although, come to think of it, I will have to manually update my pager. Dang.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
The only clocks I don't have to manually change are my computer and my cell phone. everything except for my daughter's alarm clock are fixed, and that only because I didn't want to try and update theirs in the dark while they slept. They're just waking up now.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reminder!
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
My computer and my phone changed the clocks automatically. I will have to change my alarm clock manually once I get back to my apartment later today. The clock in my car is actually right for once though, as I was too lazy to change it back in the fall. Hooray for laziness.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, unfortunately. I really don't like the Spring part of this whole DST thing.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Changed my alarm clock.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I have to change my watch myself, which means I have to get someone else to do it 'cause I can never seem to pull out that little knob.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
My alarm clock is designed to change itself. Obviously I can't patch it, so I guess I'll have to set it forward now and set it back three weeks from now.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
My cell and my computer adjusted themselves (I remember when my 'puter downloaded the patches a few weeks back).

Palm emailed me a link to a patch on Friday (cutting it close, guys), but I every time I tried to run it on my T5 it crashed. No biggie -- I have a utility installed that syncs my Palm clock with my computer clock every time I do a sync.

My little atomic clock hadn't adjusted either, so I told it to reset. Silly little thing doesn't check with the satellites nearly as often as it's supposed to. [Razz]

And all the other clocks got done last night, mostly by my eldest. Except for the two clocks that are mostly decorative, that never fell back . . . [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing I had to reset my iPod, but all I had to do was switch it from Eastern to Eastern DST. I don't know if it'll switch back in a few weeks though. I guess I'll find out.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
The annoying thing is that in 3 weeks, we have to remember to set a whole bunch of electronic appliances that have DST built in back an hour.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. Here in Arizona, we don't celebrate DST.

My mother also called to remind me, but that was mostly so that I could continue to call her at appropriate times. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Almost forgot! Hatrack reset itself, but all my other fora needed the time to be reset in my profile.

Done!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
We had to leave to take Bob to the airport at 5 this morning. With the hour loss that was way too early. >.<
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to turn off my cell phone and turn it back on. I didn't figure that out until this morning, so that meant I had to set my alarm an hour off because my cell phone clock was still an hour off. Picture me at 2 a.m. setting my cell clock only to watch it reset immediately. I stayed up too late playing Kingdom of Loathing.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Where are we as a society when people complain about having to press two buttons on a clock? On my own clock there is even a DST button.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
We are not complaining about having to press a few buttons on a clock. We are complaining about the government screwing with our sleep schedules!

(And when you have to be to work at 5:00, having the sun rise at 4:40 would be heavenly.)

Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
So I thought it was my imagination, the whole time change thing happening earlier this year, but from the whines in this thread ( [Smile] ) it sounds like it's not my imagination. Why did it change?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

So I could have an extra hour before Shabbos for a few weeks extra.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
I set my computer ahead and then it took another hour.
If you've applied appropriate patches, you should never have to manually change a modern (i.e. with an OS more recently written than Windows 3.1) computer's time for DST.
I like to do it early; I thought I had disabled that to keep my computer from doing it. Apparently not.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
So I thought it was my imagination, the whole time change thing happening earlier this year, but from the whines in this thread ( [Smile] ) it sounds like it's not my imagination. Why did it change?

Some weirdos in Congress want to try to save energy with it. I have never understood that; I use MORE energy during DST than the rest of the year. [Grumble]
rivka
Member # 4859

How do you figure that? It gets dark later.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah. I have a really screwed-up schedule.
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Reluctantly, I changed my alarm clock and battery-operated wall clock.

The computer and cell took care of themselves.

Now to take care of the wristwatch . . . hmmmm.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, I haven't changed my clocks and I won't! HAHAHAHAHAHA

NO DST here in Hawaii. It's great. I just have to remember that all ya'll are on a different schedule when I need to call over there.

DST does affect some television programming here, but I don't have cable anymore, so that won't affect me. NPR time also change with DST, so Morning Edition will be an hour off from last week.

I love love love not having to deal with DST. I always hated the disruption in my sleep cycle. And when I lived on the mainland, I lived far enough north that the sun didn't set until after 9 even without DST in the summer time - so all summer I put my children to bed with an hour or an hour and a half of daylight left.

DST is teh stoopid.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
the sun didn't set until after 9 even without DST in the summer time
That's a big part of my problem-- the sun setting later screws up my sleep schedule even more, and then I use even MORE electricity staying up later.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely loved having it lighter this evening.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Me too.

And I'm looking forward to this Friday. [Wink]

Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Another Arizonan here. And as I recently emigrated from California, I must say I really prefer mountain time. I'm definitely supporter of doing away with DST on a national level.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
DST...I hope you rot. I hope your rot in hell and burn away as an infinite amount of eternities pass by. That is how much I hate you.

I'll spit on your grave when you die.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I absolutely loved having it lighter this evening.

I went to put my daughter to bed, and she said, "But it isn't dark out yet!"

Boo and hiss, DST.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I want DST all year long. Maybe then, in the winter, I could have some light when I got off work instead of being depressed for 6 months. Darkness in the morning isn't a problem for me. It's dark in the morning most of the year for me, DST or not.

For the past week I woke up an hour early anyway (not by choice. It's just what my body did.) so my adjustment to DST was nothing.

What I DO mind is losing an hour of my very precious weekend. (Then again, I had a migraine yesterday so going to bed an hour early was actually a positive.)

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
I want DST all year long. Maybe then, in the winter, I could have some light when I got off work instead of being depressed for 6 months. Darkness in the morning isn't a problem for me. It's dark in the morning most of the year for me, DST or not.

For the past week I woke up an hour early anyway (not by choice. It's just what my body did.) so my adjustment to DST was nothing.

What I DO mind is losing an hour of my very precious weekend. (Then again, I had a migraine yesterday so going to bed an hour early was actually a positive.)

Agreed. I hate never seeing daylight. I work in a room with no windows, and usually stay in for lunch, so I arrive when it's dark (almost the entire year), and by the time I leave, the sun has set.

[Wall Bash]

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I want DST all year long.
Get up and go to bed an hour earlier, and you've got it!
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, I just discovered that the network server didn't change time. So I manually rolled it up till I can get IT on the horn tomorrow. Not sure why they didn't plan ahead for this...

Fortunately, the only damage we seem to have noted is appointments in our calendars being displayed at the wrong time, which was fixed by my rolling.

Oh, and I have one woman who decided that she needed to run a system restore on her workstation without talking to anyone because some icon wouldn't respond... now Outlook is demanding configuration and she's lost all of her desktop customizations. I don't know whether to [Wall Bash] , [No No] or [Laugh]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
MPH: I was doing that, then my boss told me to stay later at work.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.