FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Did you change your clock? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Did you change your clock?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I missed church because of DST, surely I can't be the only one. God wants people to go to church when they can, therefore God must disapprove of DST.

The solution to DST is to move somewhere tropical and close to the equator. It eliminates the need for such a stupid system.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care whether it's DST or not -- just pick a schedule and leave it there all year long like Arizona and Hawaii. Yesterday was a really rough day for me. I could have used that hour of sleep.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
MPH: I was doing that, then my boss told me to stay later at work.
Ah, so want the government to change when your boss tells you to leave.

Frankly, I'm surprised that you think this is something the government ought to be doing.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
MPH: Either way really. So long as they stop messing with the clocks. I'd prefer DST to Standard time.

I'm surprised at your hostility.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
So mph, Do you really think its a more practical expectation to change the standard working hours at businesses across the country than it is to change to DST year round?

For most of my life, I've had to leave for work before sunrise and by 5 pm when most people get to leave work, the sun had already set. If we had been on DST, I might have been able to get a few minutes of sunlight after work. On standard time I didn't get any either before or after work. Getting up earlier would simply have giving me more hours of darkness in the morning instead of darkness at night.

If you have the luxury of working any hours you please, you are unique.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry if I came across as hostile. It was unintentional and not reflecting reality, as I feel no hostility toward you on this subject. I apologize.

----

When I've been against DST, it's been on the liberatarian-esqe grounds that the government should keep its nose out of things as much as possible.

You are generally one of the more consistent HR posters who is in favor of the government keeping its nose out of things, so I'm surprised to see you supporting it.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
mph, If the government doesn't decide what time it is, who should? Individuals? Businesses? I just don't see how a modern society could function unless we all agree on what time it is.

Using solar time hasn't been practical since the advent of trains.

Clearly some people prefer standard time while others prefer daylight time and so we've reached a compromise in which we use standard time part of the year and daylight time party of the year. Its clear you find that compromise unsatisfactory but clearly some compromise is necessary to the smooth function of society. Imagine how difficult it would be to run a business if every employee got to decide what time it was. Imagine how hard it would be to interact with other businesses if you could rely on some sort of standard business hours. Suggesting its not a decision that should be made by government is just silly.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya, Rabbit's right. We have to have an agreed upon standard of time. Not having one would make contracts difficult to enforce. How could you fire someone for being late if they kept their own time? Dates would become meaningless because everyone would keep their own calander, though having a month called "Pixbruary" sounds really cool, it wouldn't be practical.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
mph, If the government doesn't decide what time it is, who should? Individuals? Businesses? I just don't see how a modern society could function unless we all agree on what time it is.
Yes, the government needs to set a standard time, but is it really the government's job to try to get us all to awake earlier in the day?

I say no.

[ March 12, 2007, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
though having a month called "Pixbruary" sounds really cool, it wouldn't be practical.

Everyone would pronounce it "Pix-byuary".
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Quidruary personally. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Quidtember?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
though having a month called "Pixbruary" sounds really cool, it wouldn't be practical.

Everyone would pronounce it "Pix-byuary".
Only in Sheekahgo.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Me too.

And I'm looking forward to this Friday. [Wink]

[Big Grin]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Only problem: Shabbos is out later too. No more 8 o'clock movies motzei Shabbos (not that I made it very often anyway).

But that's ok. I may actually have enough time to get a manicure this Friday! [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Ok, So we have:

Pixbruary (Pix-byooary)
Quidtember

What are the other months of the Hatrack Calander?

JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
In the summer we could have a month just named "Jen".

That ought to suit a lot of us here.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Jen is a good one!
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Maybe Novshvester?
The Rabbit
Member # 671

The year must definitely begin in the spring with the month of "Lepus".
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
If you do still happen to be running Windows 2000 or any older version, and don't want to pay the $4,000 MS is asking for the patch, a free version has been created by a third-party that works wonderfully. You can find it here
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I moved east one time zone, and started working an hour earlier on the same day that the time changed, so physiologically I lost 3 hours Monday. I'm still trying to find them. DST every spring takes me about six weeks to adjust my body to. I really hate it. I don't care which time they pick but once they pick it, I want them to leave it the heck alone. Why do they put everyone through this agony, not to mention expense (changing the dates on either end cost companies billions in IT overtime)? I think it's a horrible idea. I want to move somewhere they don't ever change the time.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe Novshvester?

I vote for Shvestember.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Claurch, please.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

OK. But I'm only giving it 28 days.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Bellgust of course.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
The Non-Adventures of Wonderella.

If you aren't reading this, go. Now. Read from the beginning. There are only 31 comics so far, but they just tickle.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Big Grin]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.