FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What has the Internet done for you? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What has the Internet done for you?
Griffin
Member # 7166

- posted      Profile for Griffin   Email Griffin         Edit/Delete Post 
The Internet has:
Made me realize how little we all are.
Connected me to people outside of my "league".
Cost me a lot of money.
Filled up 30+gbs of music on my computer [smile]
Introduced me to Card outside of Novels.
Taught me how to pwn n00bs.
Caused fights over who's "turn" it is.
Has helped my friends who will not speak about problems type them.
Entertained me educationally at wikipedia.org
and then some...

Posts: 131 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
The internet found me a wife—and not one of the Russian mail-order kind, either!
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
don't ask what the internet has done for you, ask what YOU can do for the internet!
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in my early teens, my depression would have been much worse and I would have been even more suicidal if not for my friends on the internet (particularly my old childhood friends that I was able to connect to once again). I've made a lot of friends online, and to be honest, the internet is the only thing that keeps me sane when I'm at college. Without it, I'd be just a really depressed guy who talks to no one and does nothing but study. Not a very bright alternative, is it?
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Helped me accept myself, helped me come out, Found me more than one job, landed me a husband, got me thousands upon thousands of hours of entertainment, edumacated me up real guud.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
The internet found me my husband. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
The internet found me a wife—and not one of the Russian mail-order kind, either!

quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
The internet found me my husband. [Smile]

*waits*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
You want one, too? [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yeah, and not one of the Russian mail-order kind, either. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

What about a Sri Lankan mail order husband? [Razz]
rivka
Member # 4859

I doubt there are many Orthodox Jews is Sri Lanka.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I met my husband and most of my best friends online. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

rivka - yeah, I know. [Frown] But I tried. [Frown]
rivka
Member # 4859

*pat pat* Thanks.
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
As a rootless vagabond (well before I got married and "settled down" anyway) the Information Superhighway (remember that??) has helped me keep in touch with loads of friends with whom I would have otherwise lost contact.

It didn't find me a wife, but it did help to keep a long distance relationship alive.

I also found my house on the Interweb.

Oh, and usage and abusage of Computer Networks in general has kept me gainfully employed for over a decade now... [Wink]

Three cheers for the Internet!

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Without the internet, I doubt I could have maintained any of my high school friendships. Those are invaluable to my sanity.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
The internet has...
- kept me in contact with many old friends
- Helped me schedule and reshedule wrestling events
- It's about to earn me a 37 inch plasma tv and Xbox 360. Only two more offers away!!!

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
It is my career.
It allows for CAD work in a distributed environment.
Without it, we may still be trying to find out how Columbia went down.
It allows me to work from home.

I am so thankful to Al Gore for inventing it. [Smile]

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Griffin
Member # 7166

Sounds like a lot of people found love, money and sanity. I was hoping someone would be pissed at the Internet for ruining their life in some way, but I guess they wouldn't be online reading this thread... [Grumble]
Posts: 131 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
In a way, it got me my current (nearly 6 years now) job. I was taking a Web design program at the local community college, worked on the college's website for free, was introduced to the job by the college's (then-) webmaster.

Then there are the connections with family members - including my mom's cousins that she had lost touch with in the '60s.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Add me to the list who met a spouse (husband, in my case) online.

Met a bunch of cool people through it, too, besides him.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
The internet has...

... found me two jobs.
... found me two apartments.
... allowed me to more obviously not keep in touch with friends and family. (I'm horrible at keeping in touch with people I don't see regularly, but before the internet, nobody noticed. [Frown] )
... found tickets to a sold out Backstreet Boys concert that my lady absolutely had to go to (and so did I [Grumble] ).
... provided all of the free personal amusement that a hormonal young man could ask for.
... gotten me in excessive trouble with my parents by telling them what types of free personal amusement it has been providing me with.
... educated me on all sorts of counterculture/underground philosophies, music, ingestables and art.
... scared the crap out of me by instantly providing news from around the world.
... gotten me in at trouble at work.
... told me jokes.
... introduced me to you good people, without whom I would undoubtably be less of a human.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka: Ya know, my hubby was looking for a nice jewish girl but he seems pretty happy that he settled for this shiksa.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Do you really want to go there, Pix? We can have this conversation if you insist, but I'd really rather not.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
The internet has made me feel like an insecure, untalented, unoriginal nobody, whom there will always be 100 other people exactly like, who can do exactly what I can do and say exactly what I will say.

It has inspired me to push myself to be the best in whatever I pursue, otherwise, I will fade to the bottom of the list.

It has introduced me to quite possibly the best people I could have met with sound advice to live by, people who I consider lucky that they even know my name, and would notice me.

It has found me my wife.

Let's me feel like I'm part of a society.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Rivka: Not really. I know you're orthodox. I just don't like to see you lonely =(
rivka
Member # 4859

That's sweet. [Smile] But for me, the alternative you suggest would be worse.
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Without the internet, I wouldn't be able to watch the Daily Show. That's already enough to justify its existence. [Smile]
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
it RUINED MY TAN
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
WASTED MY TIME AND MY LIFE
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
One word--pr0n.

OK, no, really....

pr0n.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the Intertubes!
Once the brother of the former President of Nigeria returns my calls, he'll send my fat commission to a Swiss account.
I'll be rich , suckers! [Taunt]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Then you can have Chinese food delivered EVERY DAY!
steven
Member # 8099

so...much...pr0n. (/Homer Simpson voice)
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. One of my friends has a shirt that says "pr0n*" on the front.

other than that...

the internet... has saved my life on more than one occasion. The other list of things it's done for me is far too long.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I doubt there are many Orthodox Jews is Sri Lanka.
But if you DO manage to find one, woo boy! Orthodox wedding and MANGOES!
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Griffin
Member # 7166

quote:
Originally posted by T_Smith:
The internet has made me feel like an insecure, untalented, unoriginal nobody, whom there will always be 100 other people exactly like, who can do exactly what I can do and say exactly what I will say.

It has inspired me to push myself to be the best in whatever I pursue, otherwise, I will fade to the bottom of the list.

This is being added to my list of quotes
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
The two best things in my life, which I have due to the internet.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Pix, what we need to start doing is finding single Orthodox men that meet rivka's specs, do thorough background checks, and then force them to register on an online harem where she can pick the one she wants. [Evil]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
... provided all of the free personal amusement that a hormonal young man could ask for.
... gotten me in excessive trouble with my parents by telling them what types of free personal amusement it has been providing me with.

[ROFL]

-introduced me to a community of like minded people.
-allowed me to funnel my creative juices into something fun, if not entirely productive, that I can share.
-introduced me to a large community of very intelligent and very unlikeminded people.
-helped me make and keep in contact with all sorts of dear friends.
-educated me on more things than I can keep track of.
-absorbed more of my time than I like to think about.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
You know, Pix, what we need to start doing is finding single Orthodox men that meet rivka's specs, do thorough background checks, and then force them to register on an online harem where she can pick the one she wants. [Evil]

I'm surprisingly ok with this plan.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am so thankful to Al Gore for inventing it.
*snort*

Enabled me to pick up my college education because I could attend online classes while still home with my young children. I took online classes before I had the courage to go take a face-to-face class and the confidence I gained definitely helped.

Introduced me to many wonderful people

Helped me keep in touch with family

Provided many fascinating avenues of procrastination, when I should be doing homework....(ugh, I have a paper I should be writing)

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

I...........pr0n.
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Because of the internet, i found true love
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Griffin
Member # 7166

[Smile] so many great things, does anyone remember what they did before the Internet? I can't remember...
Dav
Member # 8217

- posted      Profile for Dav           Edit/Delete Post 
Before the internet, I sat around all the time hardly doing anything. Now, I sit around all the time tapping keys and moving the mouse.
Posts: 120 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hitoshi
Member # 8218

- posted      Profile for Hitoshi   Email Hitoshi         Edit/Delete Post 
-Helped me realize who I was
-Come to accept who I was
-Met many friends and formed several long friendships
-Stayed in touch with distant friends
-Kept me from giving in to near-suicidal depression
-Gave me someone I consider very important to me
-Expanded my knowledge
-Shifted my political views from far right to far left

It's been good to me. [Smile]

Posts: 208 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
"Oooh! They have the Internet on computers now!"

Well, it's definitely filled several voids: where to find cheap drugs, answerd that haunting question on the name of that Nigerian head of state that died in that plane crash, where I can get my next mortgage at nine points below prime, where I can find a decent Russian bride in case I get bored of my current wife, etc...

With all those questions unanswered I'd lose my mind!

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Griffin
Member # 7166

:laugh: www.cheaprussianbride.com is available, if anyone buys the domain name PLEASE let me know in this thread. I'll help increase the hit/day ratio.
Griffin
Member # 7166

omg, www.russianmailorderbride.com is Not available, even funnier.

wait, it gets better, Someone from the UK bought this domain 7 years ago!
What would the UK have to do with russian mail order brides? idk

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.