FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I think a spider bit me. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I think a spider bit me.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I have two or three bites...I think one happened Sunday night and another last night...maybe a third.

I've had trouble sometimes with spiders in the house. They're usually smallish grey spiders. They aren't furry or weirdly-proportioned. They're sort of stereotypically spider-shaped spiders, but small and grey. Does anyone know what kind of spider it is? I'm calling Orkin. [Frown]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.usq.edu.au/spider/find/spiders/301.htm ?
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember: With great power comes great responsibility. I'm just sayin'.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

No, their bodies weren't all round like that...and their legs were shorter in proportion to their bodies...I've been looking through spider pictures, but I haven't found anything yet..

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know what a black widow or a brown recluse look like? They don't look like what you've described, as far as I can tell, but those are the only two really poisonous spiders I know of in the US, so chances are what you have aren't life threatening. (Unless you have some rare allergy, that is.)
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

See, I haven't seen any spiders like those around Karl. Just the grey ones, or maybe little green ones. I think this one bit me in my sleep; otherwise I'm sure I'd remember a spider crawling on my hands. The one on my thumb looks infected...it swelled up yesterday and turned kinda green, and I popped it and started putting Neosporin on it often. It's still kinda puffy and red and raised. The one on my wrist could almost pass for a small paper cut, except if you look close you can see two bitey-things.

-pH

MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Was it anything like this one?
http://www.nmpest.com/images/Jsalpuged.JPG

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
The picture of the spiderlings in that first link will give me nightmares for years to come. Thanks for that Gecko.

I got three spiderbites (someone at work told me they always bite in threes, or some such, which sounds silly), in my face in November. They persisted for a month (I figured they would just go away) until eventually I popped them, and little things, which resembled small pebbles popped out of my face where the bites were. I put neosporin on them and cleaned them every day, and after a month they were reduced to three red spots on my face, and around January or Feburary they disappeared entirely.

Wasn't fun.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Oh Lord, that is one creepy-looking creature. *shudder*

Edit: Lyr, pebbles?! What were they?

-pH

orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/03/05/070305fa_fact_bilger
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I think they were the same kind of spider that we used to see in Tampa...they would be outside on the walls of the elementary school. I don't know if any Florida Hatrackers have seen spiders like that...

-pH

Perplexity'sDaughter
Member # 9668

- posted      Profile for Perplexity'sDaughter   Email Perplexity'sDaughter         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been spider-bitten a couple of times.

If the swelling doesn't go away in a few days,you should definitely go to the doctor for the bites-they'll give you a prescription for an antibiotic that will help.

They could eventually go away on their own, but they could also get infected and turn out to be big problems. Better safe than sorry, right?

Posts: 55 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Pearce -

I have no idea what it was. But when I pinched the bite, to try and get whatever was in there out, so I could properly clean it, the little thing just popped out, literally you could hear the pop (and I certainly felt it) and it was like a tiny pebble about the size of the bite, which was maybe pimple sized.

Maybe it was an egg laid in my face? Maybe puss or something that congealed together? I have no idea, I didn't save it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the fang broke off?
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It probably wasn't a spider!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Maybe it was an egg laid in my face? Maybe puss or something that congealed together? I have no idea, I didn't save it.

Oh, golly. This is how urban legends start! It was NOT an egg! (In fact, the bites were almost certainly not spider bites at all -- see my previous post.) It was almost certainly a dried accumulation of pus and related tissues.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Oh I was kidding about the egg. Spiders don't usually (that I know of) lay single eggs like that, they have nests with hundreds of eggs at at time. I've seen Charlotte's Web [Smile]

The pus thing however sounded extremely likely to me. Maybe it wasn't a spider. I don't really know, I just know we have spiders all over the house, so I assumed.

Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. This reminds me of a story. Last August, my father and I opened the door to the basement at his house. It took a while for my eyes to discern the spider on the wall. Then I noticed another one. Their shape, leg pattern, and color all matched the brown recluse brown recluse.

A quick glance around the walls above the door (and above my head...YIKES!) would have given the common arachnophobic person nightmares for a month. Seriously. Brown recluses clung to the walls around the door and numbered in the dozens.

Not. Kidding. I won't soon forget it. [Angst]

We popped a couple cans of poison down the steps and left the house.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I don't really know, I just know we have spiders all over the house, so I assumed.
As you may have seen from the first link, that is what most people assume. I have no idea why, except perpetuation of an untrue meme.

I used to think it was true too, until my kids' pediatrician set me straight. Since then I've done a bit of reading on the subject. Unfortunately, all too many doctors perpetuate the myth instead of quashing it.

pH
Member # 1350

The thing is, spiders are the only creatures I've ever had trouble with...I don't have any fur-covered pets or flies. I once got sugar ants in the kitchen when I left some Kool-aid out...

Gah. It lists staph as an infection that causes bitelike things. I had a bad staph infection four years ago. [Frown] This is the first rashy-bitey sort of thing I've really had since. I'll have Michael change the sheets when he gets home..

-pH

Perplexity'sDaughter
Member # 9668

- posted      Profile for Perplexity'sDaughter   Email Perplexity'sDaughter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tstorm:
Huh. This reminds me of a story. Last August, my father and I opened the door to the basement at his house. It took a while for my eyes to discern the spider on the wall. Then I noticed another one. Their shape, leg pattern, and color all matched the brown recluse brown recluse.

A quick glance around the walls above the door (and above my head...YIKES!) would have given the common arachnophobic person nightmares for a month. Seriously. Brown recluses clung to the walls around the door and numbered in the dozens.

Yeah, see, that'd be the moment I moved out, sans my stuff. I'd be too worried there were spiders in my clothes.
Posts: 55 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Myth: How could insects be biting me? I see only spiders in the house!

Fact: Ah, but spiders are exclusively predators. Essentially all the food a spider consumes in its lifetime is other small living creatures, mainly insects. House spiders may be more conspicuous than household insects, but they could not live there without insects to eat. And if they were not there, there'd be a lot more insects!

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Tstorm:

I went to Texas a couple times last year to visit family, and one time I got up early and my cousin asked me to go grab us some coffee (hot chocolate for me) at Starbucks, and said I could borrow her car. I said sure, went outside and on the hood of her car were four Brown Recluse spiders. I walked right back in and told her to get her own coffee, at which point she went outside, calmly flicked the spiders off her car, and went off to get coffee.

Texans weird me out.

Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Texans weird me out.
BWA HA HA!!! [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, I lived in a house where I routinely got bit by spiders (I saw one do it once, I knew they were spiders.)

They were one of the kind that can bite humans (some don't have the jaws for it) but where the bite is supposed to "completely go away in a couple of hours", as per that link. Unfortunately, I am allergic to the venom. I'd get one bite on the foot and my entire leg would swell up. I missed every field trip my 5th grade year (and a lot more school besides.) It stunk.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Oh, it does happen. Just way, way less than they get blamed. Bedbugs and other biting insects are far more often the culprits.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:
quote:
Texans weird me out.
BWA HA HA!!! [Evil Laugh]
Are you one of those Texans? Where in Texas are you located?
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
And neither the black widow nor the brown recluse live in Southern Louisiana.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

quote:
I am one of those Texans. [Big Grin] I'm in a suburb of Dallas called Plano.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And neither the black widow nor the brown recluse live in Southern Louisiana.
*thinks about moving there*
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

But JT, what are the grey spiders?

I'm taking me some Benadryl....

-pH

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
quote:
How far is Houston from Dallas? We could have a LonghornCon!
Amanecer
Member # 4068

They're about 4 hours apart. I'm totally up for the idea of LonghornCon! :-D I'd drive down to Houston, or have it here in Dallas. I know pfresh85 lives in the area and I believe vonk is in Houston. Maybe we could even intice some people from neighboring states. When would you be in Texas?
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, I am in the area. I vary between living in Richardson (suburb of Dallas) and Kingwood (suburb of Houston), what with school and all. Depending on where/when a supposed LonghornCon would be, I might be game for it.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
If you make it in Dallas, we Okies can make the trip. Tulsa is just 4 hours from Dallas.

Although, I do travel to Houston fairly often.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

My mom is going down for my cousin's graduation, and to pick up my Grandpa for the summer, in late May, and chances are good that I'll be going down then.

pfresh - Kingwood is where I'll be staying, that's where my family lives.

I don't know how likely it will be that I can get to Dallas. I'd have to borrow a car from a family member and escape for the entire day, which my family wouldn't be happy about, especially lending me a car. But if you could all make it to Kingwood, I could easily slip away for awhile to hang out. I'm sure we could find a park somewhere, maybe do a cook out?

Amanecer
Member # 4068

I could most likely make it to Kingwood on a weekend in late May. I graduate in early May and I don't know what my schedule will be like after that. I'm currently in the interviewing process and I hope to have a job and knowledge of start dates and such within the next few weeks. Two of the jobs I'm interviewing with start off with an out of town conference/ training thing that I imagine would happen in late May or early June, so I'm hesitant to say I could certainly make it. If I'm able to, I'll come. I'll let you know when I have more information. If I can, a cook out sounds fun. [Smile]

brojack17- Any idea when your next trip to Houston is?

rivka
Member # 4859

[ROFL]

Only on Hatrack could an arachnophobia thread turn into a Con thread. [Big Grin]

Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Southern House Spider
http://www.samford.edu/schools/artsci/biology/invert-03f/pages/83.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_house_spider

Very common in the south, males often mistaken for brown recluses, harmless and have grey hairs on abdomens that are brown to black to grey in color.

Incidentally, the find-a=spider guide linked to in the second post is for Australia [Razz]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, color is useless in identifying spiders, we need more detail. More description. Size, number of eyes and organization, hair, apparent weight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identifying_spiders
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiders_by_color

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I don't really understand the potency of American arachnophobia.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll say once more that it depends on when/where a con is if I can come or not. While I'll be in Kingwood after I graduate in early May, my family's going to Hawaii in late May (like the 20th or so), as that's the only time when all of us kids are free of school and other stuff. It's only for a week though, so I'll probably be back before May is over. If I can make it, it'll be cool. If not, no big deal.

And rivka, I was surprised about the turn this thread took. I wasn't particularly interested in a spider thread, but then I heard about the con stuff and so I came in. Seems an odd place for it, but I guess that's how it happens.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Euripides:
Yeah, I don't really understand the potency of American arachnophobia.

It's no stranger than Australia's odd addiction to Foster's.

We hate anything that a scary movie has been made about, which is why we kill sharks and spiders willy nilly even when it's really not wise to do so.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
And you didn't even come to DallasCon when we had it? [Grumble]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

It's no stranger than Australia's odd addiction to Foster's.

[Big Grin]
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
Was it anything like this one?
http://www.nmpest.com/images/Jsalpuged.JPG

Ooooh, bad memories. One of these chaps lived in the wall of the hut I lived in on a Moshav in Isreal, until a more arachnahobic roomie than I caught it in the open and pounded it a foot deep into the ground with a broom, during a berserker freak-out.

They also used to hide in the crates in the packing plant where I worked. [Angst]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

quote:
And you didn't even come to DallasCon when we had it?
I was out of town that week or I would have come.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Any chance it looked like this, pH?

Rivka, I have been bitten by a spider in my sleep. The evidence was both a bite consistent with that of a brown recluse, and a smooshed brown recluse body in my sheets. I agree, though, that most of the time when people think that a spider bit them in their sleep, they're wrong.

TStorm, the cans of poison probaby didn't have much impact on your brown recluse population; recluses are very hard to poison. Your best bet, when trying to control a recluse population, is to put down sticky traps, situating them so that they're directly against the walls.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
brojack17- Any idea when your next trip to Houston is?

It's supposed to be next week, but I am trying to get out of that one. The next one will be the week of May 9 (unless something somes up sooner).
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
The evidence was both a bite consistent with that of a brown recluse, and a smooshed brown recluse body in my sheets.
Motive, means, opportunity, and a body. Yeah, I'd say you've established your case. [Wink]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.