FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Calling writers and knowledgement management addicts: collaborative writing tools

Author Topic: Calling writers and knowledgement management addicts: collaborative writing tools
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm about to start a collaborative writing project. It's going to be a very slow, casual thing. It will involved a lot of world development, character dossiers, scene outlining (yes, it's speculative fiction), and I'd like to find an appealing easy way to manage it. The volume of data won't be huge.

We're thinking of using Kayuda (hat tip to Schlock Mercenary's Howard Tayler [a former member of this forum] for turning me on to it): http://www.kayuda.com/

But there's one hitch -- you can't keep a Kayuda workspace private *and* share it with someone else. Although that's a feature that may be worked on at some point.

Does anyone have suggestions of something else we could use?

The criteria:

Free, online, shareable tool
Some sort of visual outlining/mapping feature
The ability to easily edit and arrange the outline
The ability to associate large chunks of text with each point of the outline/map

We may just end up sharing a Kayuda log in until the sharing feature is developed, but if there's something else out there that is better, I'd love to hear about.

Heck, I'd love to hear about any knowledge management/brainstorming/project management tools that you like to use -- esp. if you can give me specific examples.

Aside: I find that I'm using Google documents less than I thought I would.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Intel
Member # 10057

- posted      Profile for Mr.Intel   Email Mr.Intel         Edit/Delete Post 
Er... how about wiki? i just set up a server and locked it down in about an hour. Granted, I'd never installed PHP or MySQL on a windows box before, so it should have gone faster, but it worked!

It seems to have all the things you're looking for and meets the 'free' qualification. You just need a place to install it and a tiny bit of technical knowledge.

If the full blown wiki is too much (or you don't have a fully configurable host to put it on), you might try a smaller wiki.

Some helpful links:

Download
Installation

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good idea, Mr.Intel. I have a server host that supports PHP, MySQL, etc.

The only issue is that it doesn't quite have the lovely interface and ease of mapping that Kayuda does. I'll think about it, though.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
MediaWiki software is free and open source. It's great for collaborative projects of all types. I haven't installed it yet but I hear it's easy to install. People are familiar with how to edit since it's the same software used by Wikipedia, and it's simple to learn for those who aren't. There are zillions of tutorials and stuff available too. Sounds like a good option.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
You could use a couple of free writeboards.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David K Storrs
Member # 10356

- posted      Profile for David K Storrs   Email David K Storrs         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zalmoxis:
So I'm about to start a collaborative writing project. [...]

We're thinking of using Kayuda (hat tip to Schlock Mercenary's Howard Tayler [a former member of this forum] for turning me on to it): http://www.kayuda.com/

But there's one hitch -- you can't keep a Kayuda workspace private *and* share it with someone else. Although that's a feature that may be worked on at some point.

Hi Zalmoxis,

I'm Dave Storrs, the Chief Evil Overlord of Wotan, the company that makes Kayuda. One of the hats that I wear is "net presence monitor", meaning that I spend a lot of time googling for anyone who's talking about Kayuda and then responding to them. (This duty is shared with the lovely and talented Jaime btw, in case she happens to read this. :>)

Sharing is going to be going in this week. You will be able to give up to three other users read/write access to each of your kayscapes. In another couple of weeks we will be introducing a subscription plan. Subscribers will get a bunch of extra features, including unlimited invites. So, as long as at least one person is willing to subscribe, any number of people can share a workspace.

If you have any questions, or any suggestions on how we could improve Kayuda, please feel free to drop me a line. My email is dstorrs at wotanllc dot com.

quote:
Originally posted by Zalmoxis:
Does anyone have suggestions of something else we could use?

The criteria:

Free, online, shareable tool
Some sort of visual outlining/mapping feature
The ability to easily edit and arrange the outline
The ability to associate large chunks of text with each point of the outline/map

We may just end up sharing a Kayuda log in until the sharing feature is developed, but if there's something else out there that is better, I'd love to hear about.

Obviously, I'd prefer for you to use Kayuda, but if you find that it doesn't suit you, you might want to look at:

Mindmeister
Bubbl.us

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. It's like forum spam, only useful. I'm impressed.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.