FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Questions for Skeptics II -- Paul did it for the Chicks? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Questions for Skeptics II -- Paul did it for the Chicks?
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
This one is more specifically directed at non-Christians. I'm not asking that you explain away Saul of Tarsus's conversion... I'd just like to hear a few theories as to why he did it. Did he just go insane? Do you think he might have had something to gain? Just what do you think... I won't be arguing... just listening. I've never heard any skeptic's ideas of what happened on the road to Damascus and I would enjoy reading a few.

Some people here doubt that Jesus was a historical figure, but there is little doubt that Paul was... and also little doubt that if he hadn't gone so nutso for Christianity and become such a news item in Rome, that Christianity might have died off quickly-- fading off into the Gnostic Stoicism of communities like the ones that produced the Dead Sea Scrolls.

I'm supposing us all to be familiar with the story... if anyone isn't, let me know and I'll give a synopsis.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Synopsis, if you please. Haven't heard/read the story in years.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krankykat
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for Krankykat           Edit/Delete Post 
"Some people here doubt that Jesus was a historical figure, but there is little doubt that Paul was..."

Seems like an incongruous statement to me.

Posts: 1221 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually wrote a 20-some page paper on approximately this topic in college. I won't go into all the details, but basically, I argued that Paul was on a power trip, and made himself the sole authority figure for all these churches he started.

He had told them what to do, how to believe. He put himself in the position of being their only authority on the teachings of Jesus.

His letters are very interesting reading, especially if you read between the lines and try to figure out what might have been going on in the various different churches, which prompted each letter.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Basically, Saul of Tarsus was an influential Jew and a Roman citizen. He oversaw the early persecution of Christians, including the execution of the first Christian martyr, Stephen.

In the midst of this persecution, while traveling to Damascus, Saul is blinded by a vision of the Risen Jesus. Saul is the only one who hears Him and the only one who is blinded for any extended time. In Damascus, he goes to visit a Christian who "cures" Saul's blindness. Saul takes the name Paul and becomes the foremost proponent of Christianity in the Mediterranian, travelling all over the place preaching. He is arrested for doing so at several points, and eventually uses his Roman citizenship to appeal to Caesar and gets taken to Rome, where he is, presumably, martyred after bringing the message of Christianity to the capital of, well, basically, the western world for the next couple of centuries.

So my question is, on the presumption that he was wrong, why did he do all that?

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by Krankykat:
Seems like an incongruous statement to me.

Why? I've heard the historicity of Jesus questioned repeatedly. I've never heard anyone maintain that Paul never existed...
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul was incredibly ambitious. He was making a name for himself as a leading figure against the Christ followers prior to his conversion. He was also very smart. Perhaps he saw an opportunity to moev beyond being a middle wheel in the Jewish world and become one of the main guys in a region spanning movement.

Alternatively, let's say he was a true believer who lost his faith. A fast, dramatic conversion to the thing he was strongly against actually fits pretty well with that.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
And not to be inflammatory, but there is the possibility that Saul/Paul was...well...I don't want to say "insane". But if he was the only person to witness this vision, it is completely possible it was something that happened in his brain alone. Maybe he had a seisure, or a stroke, or a hallucination.

Which doesn't mean he wasn't necessarily sincere in his beliefs.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Saul was like a modern day televangelists... he saw an opportunity to make a name for himself by appealing to the need of people to believe, and he stepped up to refine their beliefs into something that would leave them dependent upon his guidance.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I don't find that inflammatory, Javert. And again, my intent here is to listen to what you have to say... not to contend with any of you.
Krankykat
Member # 2410

Jim-Me:

The whole notion that Christianity exists and came to exist without Christ is rather silly.

Posts: 1221 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Could you explain why kranky?
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jim-Me:

The whole notion that Christianity exists and came to exist without Christ is rather silly.

No more silly than the fact that the world Tolkien created exists without real orcs or dragons. Lots of stories have main characters who were fictional, or were exaggerated in the telling.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krankykat
Member # 2410

Squick:
Besides the Bible, volumes have already been written on the subject starting about 2000 years ago with Flavius Josephus.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Kkat, whether there is historcial evidence for Jesus or not, there does remain dispute over His historicity.

There is little to no dispute over Paul, who is the focus of my question.

Krankykat
Member # 2410

Yup Cow, I have heard that argument before.

So do you maintain the existence of Moses, Buddha, Confucius, Mohammed are merely fictitious too?

[ March 26, 2007, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Krankykat ]

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
You seem to be suggesting that he has to maintain those things in order to be consistent, which isn't true.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

There is significantly more evidence of the latter two.

Look... I don't think anyone has argued that Jesus never existed in this thread. I have seen it argued before that He didn't, most often by Lisa. Again, the point is, Jesus's existence *is* disputed by some, Paul's isn't. The existence of Paul doesn't imply the existence of Jesus.

Can you accept that, please? Because I want to hear more of what they have to say about Paul, rather than getting into a debate about whose historical documents carry how much weight.

Krankykat
Member # 2410

I know that there remains dispute, Jim. The evidence is overwhelming that Jesus did exist.

Without Jesus there would not have been Paul's ministry.

Like I said: "The whole notion that Christianity exists and came to exist without Christ is rather silly."

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
I don't think that this is a tenable statement. There are plenty of reasonable explanations for Paul's ministry absent Jesus's existance.

edit: Expanded from: I don't think that this is a reasonable statement.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I do, however, think it is a true statement.

Edit: This was in response to something similar to the following which was later edited:

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
quote:
I don't think that's a reasonable statement.
I am reciting from memory.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Dag,
Are you saying that Paul's ministry could not have existed without Jesus existing?

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
Dag,
Are you saying that Paul's ministry could not have existed without Jesus existing?

No - as I indicated in my edit, I was responding to a different post.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I don't see how my edit changes the meaning of my statement. And the statement that you were asserting is true did not change.

I initially said I didn't think it was reasonable to say that Paul's ministry could not exist without Jesus. I only changed it to tenable when I decidesd to expand it with a reason for saying this and didn't want to say reasonable twice.

This is the statement you said was true:
quote:
How is asserting that this is true not saying that Paul's ministry couldn't exist without Jesus existing?
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Not being an orthodox Christian doesn't make you a "skeptic." I dismiss orthodox Christianity for entirely philosophical reasons, not historical ones.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:
This one is more specifically directed at non-Christians. I'm not asking that you explain away Saul of Tarsus's conversion... I'd just like to hear a few theories as to why he did it. Did he just go insane? Do you think he might have had something to gain? Just what do you think... I won't be arguing... just listening. I've never heard any skeptic's ideas of what happened on the road to Damascus and I would enjoy reading a few.

Insufficient data. But assuming the story is a true one, it may have been guilt. Or he may have had a seizure, and interpreted it as a sign. Or some combination of the two.

quote:
Some people here doubt that Jesus was a historical figure, but there is little doubt that Paul was... and also little doubt that if he hadn't gone so nutso for Christianity and become such a news item in Rome, that Christianity might have died off quickly-- fading off into the Gnostic Stoicism of communities like the ones that produced the Dead Sea Scrolls.

<dreamy sigh> That would have been lovely.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I initially said I didn't think it was reasonable to say that Paul's ministry could not exist without Jesus.
Not true. You initially said that you didn't think it was reasonable to say that Paul's ministry would not exist without Jesus. A very different statement.

quote:
quote:

How is asserting that this is true not saying that Paul's ministry couldn't exist without Jesus existing?

It's saying that Jesus did exist, that his visitation to Paul on the road to Damascus is what caused Paul to begin his ministry, and that without the power of the Holy Spirit the ministry would not have succeeded.

I'm making a statement about what happened: Paul was motivated by words he received directly from Christ. Without those words, he would not have begun his ministry. Could someone of Paul's ability have done this without the visit and without the Holy Spirit? Possibly. Therefore it "could" have happened, but it wouldn't have.

twinky
Member # 693

As to the thread's actual subject, it's entirely possible that Saul/Paul did have a vision of some kind, and so his conversion was genuine; it's also entirely possible that he didn't, and MrSquicky/David Bowles' views are more accurate. I don't think having had a vision necessarily makes him insane; the human brain is capable of all sorts of interesting things under the right conditions.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Basically, Saul of Tarsus was an influential Jew and a Roman citizen.

Where do you get that he was an influential Jew? Before his little trip to Damascus, he seems to have been a lot like radical college students in the 60s who were willing to commit or aid in violence for the sake of their extreme views. And who were used by others because they were so... well, usable.

As a Roman citizen, he probably was above average in wealth. Which fits again with the image of the spoiled kid going off to be a radical.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:

Why? Does the existence of Scientology imply that Xenu was real? That the story of JC exists is incontrovertable (or we wouldn't be talking about it). That it's historically true is something else entirely.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Squick:
Besides the Bible, volumes have already been written on the subject starting about 2000 years ago with Flavius Josephus.

It's unlikely that Josephus ever mentioned JC.
Krankykat
Member # 2410

That's what I am saying, Squick.

Jim:

Discussing Paul w/o acknowledging Jesus is like trying to discuss a scientific theory w/o the acknowledging the scientist who developed the theory, the religion w/o acknowledging
the founder of it, a philosophy w/o the acknowledging philosopher etc.

I will bail so the thread can discuss Paul w/o Jesus.

Doubting Lisa:

Josephus did mention Jesus.

"The following passage appears in the Greek version of Antiquities of the Jews xviii 3.3, in the translation of William Whiston:

Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man; for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews and many of the Gentiles. He was [the] Christ. And when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him; for he appeared to them alive again the third day; as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him. And the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day."

Source: Wikipedia

[ March 26, 2007, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Krankykat ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Kranky, what do you think that last paragraph proves?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by Foust:
Not being an orthodox Christian doesn't make you a "skeptic." I dismiss orthodox Christianity for entirely philosophical reasons, not historical ones.

Granted... I was generalizing trying to catch many different people under one term to attract them to the discussion, not to convey anything pejorative.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
As to the thread's actual subject, it's entirely possible that Saul/Paul did have a vision of some kind, and so his conversion was genuine; it's also entirely possible that he didn't, and MrSquicky/David Bowles' views are more accurate. I don't think having had a vision necessarily makes him insane; the human brain is capable of all sorts of interesting things under the right conditions.

So it was the mushrooms on the veal marsala from the night before? [Wink]

Summarizing... so far we have, essentially:
Paul saw a means to expand his personal power, influence, and "legacy".

and

Paul was seeing things (for whatever reason) and had an internally consistent, but mistaken, conversion experience.

is that a fair summation?

Oh... left out Squicky': he was deeply Jewish, suffered a crisis of conscience of some sort, and latched onto what he saw as the opposite course.

Thanks for all the contributuions. Keep 'em coming.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Where do you get that he was an influential Jew? Before his little trip to Damascus, he seems to have been a lot like radical college students in the 60s who were willing to commit or aid in violence for the sake of their extreme views. And who were used by others because they were so... well, usable.

As a Roman citizen, he probably was above average in wealth. Which fits again with the image of the spoiled kid going off to be a radical.

Fair enough. I took it as granted that Roman citizenship implied that he was at least from an influential family.
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
If non-Christians either don't believe Jesus was more then a mortal man, or don't believe he existed at all, I'm not sure why we would even have opinions on Paul?
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Because Christianity has, for good or ill, been a gigantic part of Western History and without Paul it probably wouldn't have?
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Squick:

It's unlikely that Josephus ever mentioned JC.
Well, he didn't call him by name. He mentioned the incident with Pilate, though. As for the rest you've said about insufficient evidence, I've heard from some that there could easily have been more than one person who was amalgamated into the single character. There was no shortage of people around that time who did the whole preaching-in-the-streets-about-messianic-prophecy in that region, right?
Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
What was Joseph Smith seeing, that made him willing to go to jail for it? Power, prestige, and yes, chicks. Paul has had the advantage that we basically only know him through his own writings, so we see him in a more flattering light than a recent character like Smith. If other people had written anything about Paul that survived to the present day, we might know about his five concubines.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Paul has had the advantage that we basically only know him through his own writings

That and the author of Acts (was that usually credited to Barnabas or Luke? anyone remember?)
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by twinky:

So it was the mushrooms on the veal marsala from the night before? [Wink]

Summarizing... so far we have, essentially:
Paul saw a means to expand his personal power, influence, and "legacy".

and

Paul was seeing things (for whatever reason) and had an internally consistent, but mistaken, conversion experience.

is that a fair summation?

Oh... left out Squicky': he was deeply Jewish, suffered a crisis of conscience of some sort, and latched onto what he saw as the opposite course.

Thanks for all the contributuions. Keep 'em coming.

It could also have been a combination of any two of those, or all three. Actually, I think Squick's crisis of conscience could quite possibly have triggered the kind of "vision" we're talking about, even without the mushrooms. [Razz]
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Chaim Potok actually has an interesting version of that as a possibility for Moses's vision of the burning bush in Wanderings.
twinky
Member # 693

Mushrooms?
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Yeah. Apparently, Moses was crazy for those freaky fungi.

---

Actually, it was a crisis conscience/nagging question latent from when he (an Egyptian prince) slayed the Egyptian overseer to save a Hebrew slave.

[ March 26, 2007, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Doubting Lisa:

Josephus did mention Jesus.

No, I don't think so.

The Jesus Forgery: Josephus Untangled. That's just the first site I happened upon at the moment. But scholars have dismissed that particular forgery for years.

Lisa
Member # 8384

Note that Chaim Potok was a Conservative rabbi. A member of a movement which denies the authenticity of the Torah.
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
on the presumption that he was wrong, why did he do all that?
I think that for all prophets/ religious founders/ etc. there are a great many reasons for why they believed as they did. It's my own opinion that the vast majority were sincere in their beliefs. That's not really based on anything, but I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt. I think though that all of them have an incredibly high ability to deceive themselves and live in cognitive dissonance. They can say something that feels somewhat true and then they become utterly convinced of its truth. Then they can easily find rationalizations that make everything still feel consistant. I don't think this is a rare trait. In fact, I think that many, many people do it to an alarmingly large extent. I don't know what happend on the road to Damascus, but I would assume the story was greatly exaggerated and I would not be suprised if Paul believed that the greatly exaggerated story happened verbatim.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Jim-Me: I've usually heard Acts attributed to Luke.

This thread made me think of something interesting (sorry Jim-Me, it's a little off topic) - Do people who don't believe the existence of Jesus but accept Paul point to Paul as the person who made Jesus up? Kind of like people who don't believe Mormonism or Scientology point to Joseph Smith and L. Ron Hubbard (I think I got the Scientology guys name right). Just kind of a random thought that this thread created.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I don't mind a little drift... I just didn't want to get sidetracked onto a discussion of whose sources were more correct.

Edit to add: The Josephus above was quoted by Eusebius. The accuracy of this quote has been disputed by multiple scholars, citing that Early Christians familiar with Josephus seemed not to be aware of the particular quote (notably Origen and Clement). Nonetheless, they do seem to be aware of another, less dramatic quote regarding Jesus. So it's a case of my authority is bigger/better than your authority, which, IMO, threatened to bog down the whole thread... and which, for the moment, I'd like to continue to leave behind.

I think there's very few who would say that Paul made the whole thing up, but I could be wrong. It's not something I've heard alleged before (of Paul).

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.