FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » video editing help

Author Topic: video editing help
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure there's a technical name for this procedure, but I can't think of what it might be. What I need to do is take a video file and create a new one with a different playback speed. For example, I would take a ten minute video file and create a new file that is only five minutes long but that plays back at twice the normal speed.

Does anyone know of any cheap (preferably free) software program, or perhaps some method that would allow me to do this?

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Most video editing programs will do this. But few of them are free.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Never used it, but a quick search for "Open Source Video Editing" came up with Jahshaka.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

Hmm, that Jahshaka looks interesting, and it works with OS X. I'm going to have to play around with that. I might just use that instead of my old version of iMovie.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
That's called Time Remapping. At least in After Effects it is. I can do it for you if you like. Just use something like Mega Upload or Yousendit.com to get me the file.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

Right now I'm just working up ideas for a little video project that I've been kind of wanting to do for a friend, but I'm not really sure how much time or resources I want to spend on this project, especially if I never get around to completing it. Thanks for the offer.
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
If you just want to take the video and speed up the playback by 2x, then use VirtualDub. It's free, open source, and quite powerful.

If you really want the goods (know-how) check out Absolute Destiny & ERMAC's Guide to All Things Audio/Video.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech/

Don't worry about the site either. [Wink] Harmless.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by camus:
Right now I'm just working up ideas for a little video project that I've been kind of wanting to do for a friend, but I'm not really sure how much time or resources I want to spend on this project, especially if I never get around to completing it. Thanks for the offer.

I wouldn't charge and it would take me less than a day to do all of it. Time Remapping is fairly simple actually. Most time would be spent on rendering and the sending/receiving of the file.

The offer stands if you want it later on.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's not the best software for video editing, and that this post will just further Bill Gates evil quest for world domination, but Windows XP has software called "Windows Movie Maker."

There's more info here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/moviemaker2.mspx

One of the options under effects is "Speed Up, Double."

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.