FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A poll that would be helpful for my history term paper...

Author Topic: A poll that would be helpful for my history term paper...
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm doing my paper on Chernobyl and how it effected Ukrainian independence from the USSR. I hate term papers very much, but this time I've actually gotten pretty interested in the topic.

What I would like to know is what percentage of people know what Chernobyl was. Do you know anything about it? Have you heard the name, but don't know what happened? Have you never heard the name in your life? Or do you know a lot about it?

I got interested in this question when I announced my topic to my history class and no one at all had ever heard of Chernobyl (except the teacher). I think it was something horrible enough that the whole world should know about it. Gorbachev tried to cover it up when it happened -- which in the end hurt his people even more -- and I want to see how successful he was, even now that it has been exposed.

Anyway, it would be helpful to me if you answered the question, and please also include your age and location (if you want to) so I can see how that effects how much you know about it. (For example, if you weren't alive in 1986, it's reasonable that you not know about it, but if you were alive then and don't know about it, that would be more surprising).

Thanks!

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I was two in 1986 and I know about Chernobyl.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
You realize that a self-selecting poll won't provide reliable data for a term paper, right? People who don't know about it are much less likely to post than people who do.

Chernobyl today.

33, Minnesota, know quite a bit about what happened and the effects.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
You realize that a self-selecting poll won't provide reliable data for a term paper, right? People who don't know about it are much less likely to post than people who do.

Well, I'm hoping they will. I would think that if somebody told you something horrible had happened that you've never heard of, you would be interested in it.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I do.

In order fro this to work for a paper though, this is a bad idea. Hatrack has no set number fo members so it is impossible to determine what percent of people here know about it.

Also, we aren't a neutral group. We tend to be fairly intelligent, fairly well read, and sci-fi readers....all people who would have a higher chance of hearing (and remembering) about this type of event.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

I'm not looking for precise data. I don't even know how it will fit into my term paper exactly. I'm just looking to gain a sense of it.

And thanks for the link, EIJay, I'm reading it now and it looks really interesting.

jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, go ask the common people.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
How can you tell a swedish baby born after Chernobyl? Look for the Blonde eyes and Blue hair.

(for those who weren't alive in 1986, the radiation cloud blew northward all the way up to scandinavia. There was a run on iodine pills to protect against it.)

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 3 in 1986. I know what happened at Chernobyl and have done reading about how it happened and the after-effects, both in school and on my own.

But I tend to think that asking this question on Hatrack is likely to skew you toward the more educated.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 3 in 1986, and I know what Chernobyl was/is.

(Side note: kq, I'm always taken aback when I remember that we're the same age!)

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
I was not even conceived when Chernobyl melted down, and I know what happened and what the effects were (and still are).

Your history class seriously needs to read more!

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 14 in 1986, but wasn't aware of it at the time. I learned as an older teen/young adult (through reading a novel, as a matter of fact) that Chernobyl was a nuclear plant and there was some sort of accident/meltdown that was very damaging to the area. I don't know any details other than that.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when it was on the news. If you watched or read the news, you'd have to see it. I since read a book about it.
Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlt
Member # 10088

- posted      Profile for jlt   Email jlt         Edit/Delete Post 
Not alive in 1986 and have not heard of it, but this thread has sparked my interest.
Posts: 130 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Someone, a while ago posted some photos of Chernobyl, (perhaps 6-8 months ago), which was a very long slideshow of victims which was very depressing. Perhaps someone here remembers what thread I am talking about.

To answer your question:

Do you know anything about it? Yes, basic knowledge. No more than it was a nuclear disaster in a Russian town that left lots of people very ill.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 2 years old when Chernobyl happened, and I know quite a lot of it. (Though I'm not sure whether your question was directed to non-American people.)

I know that the rise in radiation levels in other European countries was first measured in Finland, but the Finnish officials were too scared of the Soviet Union to release the information, so it was not until Swedish nuclear power plant workers made those same measurements that the information was made public for the world.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I was two when Chernobyl happened (apparently a lot of Hatrackers were born in the 82-86 area).

But I know what it is. To be honest I don't know a ton about it, I'm much more interested in that mystery explosion that flattened that huge swath of forest in Siberia that no one to this day seems able to explain.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(Side note: kq, I'm always taken aback when I remember that we're the same age!)
I know, I always think you're about three years older than me.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
You're only a year older than me? I thought you were like three years older as well, which would make EL a theoretical six years older.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I was one at the time and I know what happened. It was covered in my World Geography and World History high school classes.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was born in 1987, I know that there was a problem (meltdown?) at Chernoby. I know there have been birth defects in the area as a result, but other than that I don't know much. It's never been covered in a class, so I'm not even sure how I know that much. Maybe there was an article in National Geographic once.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I was fourteen at the time, and I remember it being big news at the time. I remember it being all over the media. I wouldn't say I'm intimately acquainted with the details, but I'm more than passingly familiar.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:

Chernobyl today.

33, Minnesota, know quite a bit about what happened and the effects.

Same (both the warning and the answer), except make it "37, British Columbia [born in Indiana]."
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
35, Ohio (lived in Kansas when it happened, though), know quite a bit about what happened and the effects. I think it's be pretty hard not to be familiar with it, having been old enough to pay attention to the news when it happened.

Are people equally unfamiliar with Three Mile Island?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:

I'd have the same answer as above for this, for what it's worth.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Three Mile Island, but Chernobyl was much more real to me.

(Of course, it was much more real to everyone else, too. [Wink] )

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
I know of it and I was -2 in 1986.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife has a shirt that says "I survived Three Mile Island... I think."
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
I know, I always think you're about three years older than me.
I think that is an interesting side effect of this thread. I didn't realize you two were only 4 years older than me. (And found myself skimming back through the thread for relative ages. [Razz] )
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I am 26 and know about 3 Mile Island and Chernobyl.
kq- I expected you to be older than me. Probably cause you have kids and seem confident.

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

CT, Icarus, finally some people join the thread who weren't born in the 80's!!! I feel better.

But only a tiny bit better, because I'm really vague on Three Mile Island. [Blushing]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't born until 1987 and I know diddly-squat about it.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jenna, I was the first response in the thread and I wasn't born in the 80s. [Razz]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
27, Louisiana, and I know about Chernobyl and Three Mile Island.

I'd like to reiterate what ElJay said about this poll not giving you any 'good' data, at least as far as a term paper goes. I think it's perfectly fine to include the data so long as you preface it by, 'in an informal poll conducted online, XX% of the respondents (who had an age range of XX-XX) blah blah blah'. 'Informal' being the key word in that sentence.

If you want to really impress the teacher, you can include a sentence or two detailing why a poll like this won't give you reliable data.

The wiki article on selection bias will get you started on the answer to that question.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

Whoops, just chalk it up to senility.
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:

Weird, now that you mention it, I know a lot about Chernobyl, the event, the aftermath, the long term repercussions, etc. even though I was only four at the time.

However, I know next to nothing about Three Mile Island. Odd that.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
I was -6 in 1986 and I know what Chernobyl was. Three mile island too.
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:
It was covered in my World Geography and World History high school classes.

Wow, that's the first time I've ever heard that.

I didn't hear about Three Mile Island till recently, and I still don't really know what happened. I'ma go wiki it.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Born in 1965, 21 when Chernobyl blew up, and I remember it from the news of the day. Also, I used to work with a guy who was in the Russian army at the time, and who had radiation poisoning and subsequent health problems from his exposure at Chernobyl.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Born in 1968, Canadian (western Canada) living in Sri Lanka, and I've seen stuff about Chernobyl and Three Mile Island in newspapers, on tv news, and read a fair bit of both over however many decades. I have a hard time imagining anyone my age, or within a decade, not knowing. It was a pretty majorly huge big deal, ya know?

And from what I recall, I think it was the subject of news a year or two after the fact as more information came to light about the aftereffects. Death rates, birth defects, illnesses, etc.

But then, I also have a rather, shall we say, eclectic at times reading selection. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:

Also, I used to work with a guy who was in the Russian army at the time, and who had radiation poisoning and subsequent health problems from his exposure at Chernobyl.

They weren't serious illnesses I hope? Was he involved in the clean-up operation at all, or was he just unlucky enough to be in the general vicinity of the blast area?
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
26, Florida. My Dad's a nuclear engineer, so most of what I know about Chernobyl relates to its graphite based coolant system and why the same thing couldn't happen here in the US.

My Dad's been to Three Mile Island. They do safety conferences there or something. On the one hand, it's not as bad as most folks think. Radioactive material never left the containment building. On the other, it's a reminder to always be vigilant cause there can be serious consequences to thinking you know better than the computer. Never assume when it comes to safety.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.