FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Art of Akiane

Author Topic: Art of Akiane
bluenessuno
Member # 5535

- posted      Profile for bluenessuno   Email bluenessuno         Edit/Delete Post 
She (ah-Kee-ah-nee) is a young artist that opposes my laziness and complacency. Prodigy and genius... she is pushing past failure thoughts; her awareness and persistence are almost inspiring. I have not returned to my art nor do I speak to God or attempt closeness to Him. What are her Myers-Briggs answers? I don't want to 'know' the category of her aptitude and the other clearly holds a scalpel to dissect, maybe diminish.
I am attracted to Growth, (third from last in Age 11 set) its warmth and her Rose thoughts.

http://www.artakiane.com

Posts: 61 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
She is very talented, and she must have spent a lot of time to perfect those skills.

I'm having trouble figuring out what quality in her paintings feels like a black-velvet painting to me. There is skill, but maybe not much life?

----

Edited to add: I think I like "Lonely," a drawing of hers at age 5, the best.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
What better way to celebrate young talent than by showcasing it on various TV shows!
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
my thoughts exactly, ct. i get nothing out of her artwork, but she is so young that perhaps after more experience she may add on to her skill, but also broaden her expression.

i wouldn't like any of the pieces if i chanced upon them; but she obviously has potential.

not everyone has to like everything, i guess.
i went to an art school for "gifted" kids, and there were plenty of kids with the level of technical skill, but there were also a lot of kids that posessed, in my opinion, more creativity and depth.

but to each his or her own.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. She's a very talented technician, although her work lacks any defining characteristics.

I'd love to see what she produces in 5 or 10 years. If she doesn't get diverted by being put on display and commercialized, I think her work could be earth shaking.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Does she, like, go to school? I'm afraid once she reaches the age where it's normal to have that level of understanding of painting the impression of light and shadow... she'll just be another Thomas Kinkade. She won't have had any experiences besides PAINTPAINTPAINTPAINT so there will be no opportunity for growth beyond the point at which her paintings have arrived at Photorealistic.

She kind of creeps me out.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
bluenessuno:

Devo chiedere-- sei italiano?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe how fast her learning curve is. The portraits at 4 and 5 are still asymetrical and rough. By 8 they're perfect. Who knows what she'll do with another 4 years?
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with PG and CT. While I marvel at the skill she exhibits, none of the paintings really grab me.

The people she paints look unfortunately two dimensional. It's as if someone has told her, 'This is what the emotion happiness looks like; this is what wisdom looks like; this is what pensiveness looks like,' and she's pasted descriptions of emotions on her characters. No doubt she's talented; no doubt she'll be even more talented in a few years when she's older.

CT, about the black velvet thing-- it's the hyper-dramatic backgrounds/landscape. I thought the same thing.

My favorite is the 'Dance of the Mind Inside the White.' I have no idea what the title refers to, but I like the painting.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome work for a kid. What does an 11 year old know about eternal childhood and communion with nature.

I hope she keeps developing her talent, rather than just becoming commercialized or being forced into it so that she hates it by the time she's 18.

Edit:
Maybe I'm off base, but are her quotes a cry for help?

From The Watchdog:
"...And he is very dependable. He gets more attention from strangers than anyone from our family."

From Upsided Down, Inside Out:
"...Then there are plants growing alone or dominating weaker ones. Still others are plain and peaceful. A few see life radically different while they live upside down. Other plants are used for decoration or simply being
knocked down. Some wish to be outside experiencing more changes."

From Family:
"At first glance one can not notice the baby leopard, and it is because I tried to blend him into his mother."

[ April 02, 2007, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: MightyCow ]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
This is so sad. She's being marketed and exploited, and she has no idea what that even means. (I especially dislike the way they emphasize how young she is.) Sure, she has technical skills, but like you all said, her compositions seem... flat, devoid of life, like someone has told her what to paint.

I would say that I'd love to see what she's producing in 10 years/whatever, but I doubt she'll be given the freedom to explore her medium beyond pumping out technically-okay, easy-to-market-to-Kinkade-lovers type work.

[Frown]

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Exactly what I think.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluenessuno
Member # 5535

- posted      Profile for bluenessuno   Email bluenessuno         Edit/Delete Post 
She has brought her family her faith. I disagree that she'll feel forced or a hatred for her art. Her older brothers 'run' the gallery and this is not an identity they should continue. In ten years they'll choose a life separate from sister. She may take Audrey Hepburn as a model. She's sincere, has the “affluence” to travel and help the poor.
She observes and/or prays and then translates this to an image: This Is My Life (ballet Age 11) and The Summer Snow (third in Age 9) make me believe her creativity will not become muddied by the attention; that's my wish and hope.
she shows an exuberance for hair clusters and the detail is great. Perhaps to avoid Black Velvet vibrancy she'll experiment with other mediums or even mix them. Has Thomas Kinkade ever gone beyond the landscape?
MyrddinFyre:
She and her brothers are homeschooled. Her art is her 'free' time, though she says, “all my time is free. All my time is a gift and I choose to do many things throughout a day that would be meaningful.”
And I appreciate her color associations.
quote:
Which color is your favorite?
I love all the colors. Each gives me a different feeling. For example, yellow is the color of energy. Violet is the color of visions. Green is the color of peace. Brown is the color of rest. Pink is the color of trust. Gold is the color of providence. Grey is the color of old age. Sand color is the color of waiting. Orange is the color of listening. Red is the color of love. White is the color of truth. Blue is the color of the mind.

Scott R:
I enjoy Ennio Morricone. Il Moi Nome' E Nussuno

Posts: 61 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

So you don't find the photo of her praying contrived in any way?

http://www.artakiane.com/akiane_life.htm
(Scroll down to "Akiane age 8, praying")

She sincerely dresses like that and then prays for artistic inspiration by a bronze angel statue when a camera happens to be around?

I don't argue that she has technical skill, although I tink it's a bit much for her to claim an entire art movement in her name ("Akianism - a universal blend of realism and imaginism").

If her paintings really are the result of Divine Inspiration, though, then why are they so trite? Why the emphasis on buying prints and books? Why the brag-list of TV shows she's been on? It's hard to take her seriously as a spiritually-inspired artist when her website focuses so much on making her a Christian Commodity.

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
She very clearly loves colors, and some of her paintings suffer from over-saturation. Her infatuation with vivid hues is nothing surprising; marketers have known about kids and visual stimulation for a while. That's not a big deal; in fact I'd say the area her talent is most abundant is in the use of color. Learning which parts of the composition to make bright or dull will give her work some of the visual depth others have noticed it lacking.

Her weakest areas are proportion and perspective. She tends to draw people's heads noticeably bigger than they really would be. Again, I suspect this is a function of age.

I bring up her technical weaknesses because I think they're exactly the types of things that can be hard to identify through self-teaching (I'm working under the assumption that she's self-taught since the website lists no formal education). I'd imagine her family has made a substantial amount of money through her work. They could do far worse than to spend it on some formal training somewhere down the line.

I can't say I'm very interested in her subject matter, but with someone to guide her, she could at least achieve the technical mastery she's played up as having.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, Take a chill pill. She's fantastically talented. I hope she never gets bored of painting. Maybe she'll become one of the greats of all time.

You guys sound like Salieri's father complaining that Mozart is nothing but a trained monkey.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
She IS fantastically talented and that's enough to pique my interest in subject matter I wouldn't normally look twice at. It doesn't make her a great painter (yet).

And actually, I DO hope she gets bored with painting, at least temporarily. I'd love to see what she'd do with some clay, and sculpture can teach you a lot that's applicable to 2D work.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

My issue isn't with her art per se, it's with how it has been contextualized through her website. I'll chill, though.
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

My issue is that it's become a complete novelty to see such well-painted stuff made by such a little girl... but as with Eragon... well, it's good because it's by someone so young. I think it should be glorified in such websites only after this initial talent has lead to something greater. But *shrug* I don't really mean to be as negative as I'm coming off as. Sorry.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.