FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lord of the Rings Online: First Impressions (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Lord of the Rings Online: First Impressions
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
The public Beta opened today and I gave it a shot.

First impressions: it's very obviously a WoW clone. The interface is almost identical, the hotkeys are almost all the same, and the gameplay is similar. The class and race differentiation is different, though, so I didn't feel like I was being offered the exact same options. The game offers useful movies for each race and class to help you get a general idea of what each is supposed to specialize in.

The game is very pretty. I'm running a 256 meg Geforce 7900GS, far from bleeding edge, and I can run the game at 1680 x 1050 resolution with all graphic settings turned to high without a problem (average 20-25 fps).

The quest system is more difficult to use than WoW's is: they don't make it as brutally easy. The quest tracker is a lot more useful, though, as it displays ALL kinds of objectives, not just "0/10 butterflies killed," etc.

In terms of immersion, this game beats any other I've played, hands down. I started an elf champion (a non-sneaky, offensive melee class) and the tutorial stage was me coming to the rescue of an elven outpost under siege. I fought goblins and a rogue dwarf and was about to get brutally killed by a snow troll when Elrond saved me. I had a delicious geek-out moment.

Anyone else playing, or planning on it? I'm on the Brandywine server. If you've tried the game, what're your thoughts?

Character List - Brandywine Server

Bob the Lawyer - Kasin
Bokonon - Kitshee (captain)
Dagonee - Kalmegil (champion)
Dr. Strangelove - Kintair (hunter)
erosomniac - Kaedrin (champion), Feit (hunter)
Frisco - Fristan(captain)
Kwea - Lirinan (loremaster)
Juxtapose - Reiplinger (minstrel)
Puppy - Kwalm
Squish - Kaitlaen (hunter)
TheTick - Kelric
T_Smith - Darungo

[ April 09, 2007, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: erosomniac ]

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm excited to participate in the public Beta. I was part of the stress test a month ago, but due to the limited nature of the test and bugs I ran into, I only got a tiny taste for the game. It wasn't really enough for me to form an opinion on it.

It did remind me a lot of WoW but I'm interested in exploring the differences. An I'm really looking forward to enjoying the pretty. [Smile]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
It was still down when I tried to log in this morning, I look forward to trying it tonight.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be trying out a Human Champion tonight - I just rolled him, so I'll reroll on the Brandywine Server.

He'll be named Kalmegil (Shining Sword in Sindarin) if possible.

I can't wait to crank my 8800XTS all the way up. *evil cackle*

Oh, wait, this is LOTR.

*good cackle*

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you need a CD to play it? And pay a monthly fee?
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Downloading it now. See you at the Brandywine.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I am thinking of paying the 200 dollars to be a Foundationer (I think that is the name). If you do that, then you are a member for life with no more fees.

Altho I don't have time to play it now, it would be nice to have a good MMORPG I could play off and on over the years without a monthly fee. I already have Guild Wars, but I would like a more traditional MMORPG.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Post your character names once you've got 'em! I'll try to maintain a list here, so we can at least party up and whatnot.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:

The Beta is happening right now, and you don't need to pay for it. You have to DL the software, but that doesn't take long, assuming you have a reasonably fast broadband connection.

More here.

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I may check this out. I've heard that it's a solid, if not inspired, MMORPG.

I'm really waiting for Pirates of the Burning Sea, in June though. Pirates laugh at puny elves!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

I'm so going to roll a dwarf minstrel.

Plan of attack: get drunk and sing inappropriate songs.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I tried it out for a couple of days, and was really unimpressed. I'd agree that it's a WoW clone, but I feel that the geek factor is the only thing it has going for it. I love LOTR mythology, but the game mechanics felt weak to me, and if it's a matter of wanting to play in the LOTR universe, there are better games out there.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

OK, I got to level 5. I like the instancing/lasting effects in the world, and the art is gorgeous. I'm not used to the combat yet - I'm reserving judgment.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Downloading it now...
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how well my computer will be able to handle it (I'm betting not well), but I'm downloading it anyway to give and will give it a whirl.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm downloading it now. Is the rule that we all have to pick names beginning with K?

If so, I'll be "Kwalm".

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey hey hey, what should I be?
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

So I got my minstrel up to level 8. His name's Reiplinger.

It's probably because of over-population, but I feel like I'm running around a lot doing delivery quests and not engaging in combat very much. (Despite the insanely fast monster respawns.)

On the other hand, I like that the interface gives the user a lot more information. Simple things like showing you how much loot is worth, for example. Also, I got to see Gandalf totally pwn a cave troll.

Most annoyingly, my quest log has at times simply given me incorrect information about my quest objectives. Issues like saying the dwarf I'm supposed to find is in the East side of Thorin's Hall, when he's actually in the West have happened more than once. This won't be as big a problem once I can go double-check on 3rd party websites, but for now it's just aggravating. I hope they get it fixed.

erosomniac
Member # 6834

My champion's level 7. I'm loving it so far. More to come when I don't want to be gaming.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm now running around the game. Kasin.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
What time period does the game take place during? Or is it unspecified?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I got my Elf Hunter up to level 5, but I don't know that I enjoy being a ranged attacker. This is my first MMORPG, so I think I might try out some different things, especially now that I sort of have a feel for the game. I'll let ya'll know what character I decide on using (cant even remember my elfs name. That's what I get for staying up so late).
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
What time period does the game take place during? Or is it unspecified?
It's basically during FotR. The storyline I'm involved in is the defense of Archet from bandits working for dark riders who are looking for Bagginses.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
STOP IT, ALL OF YOU!!!!

I can't be sucked into another game, I must come out of this semester with good grades!

Why must you all have fun without me?!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

I'm going to be in as Kitshee. Don't know what Race or Class.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
where do I download the client and where do I sign up for the free trial?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
What Blayne said.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:

The Beta is happening right now, and you don't need to pay for it. You have to DL the software, but that doesn't take long, assuming you have a reasonably fast broadband connection.

More here.

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

I dunno. I'm not all that impressed by the game. The combat skills don't seem particularly weighty, it can be tough to tell when they've gone off, and I feel like my character is floating above the landscape and sliding through it, rather than really being in it. The character animation just doesn't feel quite right to me.
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried it for about 5 minutes, went back to play WoW.

(I'm about 2/3 of a level from 60 [Smile] )

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I can't get the stupid Turbine thing to work. It keeps telling me that the username and password I just made aren't valid.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

I'm a female human captain. So far, some niceties from wow, and some annoyances. Sometimes in the same thing (like the UI)

-Bok

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I'm having the same problem. Of course, when I tried to download it my computer had no idea what was going on, so I guess it's okay that I never got an account anyway.

Does this not work on a Mac?

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

That might be my problem... [Dont Know]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:

(I'm about 2/3 of a level from 60 [Smile] )

Go for it! Tiffany is half way to 56 herself, playing Burning Crusade and leveling to 70 made the game twice as fun for me [Big Grin] It was starting to be a drag being stuck at 60 for so long!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:

Well, I gave it two hours, but with the same end result.

LOTR lore is awesome, but the game is mostly, "Go take this letter to farmer Beebob, then kill 20 Angry Beavers. Hey, is that Gandalf buying a loaf of bread?" In the time I played, apart from the introductory battle, I never felt like I was in Middle Earth.

WoW's lore is entirely based on video games, so the whole place is loaded with unique monsters, battles, creatures and references. Plus, the game mechanics are better.

I had high hopes for LOTR Online, but it didn't impress me. [Dont Know]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Korondir, an Elvish Champion.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
LOTR lore is awesome, but the game is mostly, "Go take this letter to farmer Beebob, then kill 20 Angry Beavers. Hey, is that Gandalf buying a loaf of bread?" In the time I played, apart from the introductory battle, I never felt like I was in Middle Earth.
I think there are three major types of quests:

1. carry stuff from here to there.
2. kill x things
3. find and kill a particular bad guy to prevent a particular bad thing from happening.

Only 3 advances the story. In my mind, 1 and 2 are there to provide a little extra xp boost while carrying on the normal storyline quests. Just keep several 1 & 2s active during general hunting/storyline questing and you'll boost xp by quite a bit.

I've liked the main story arcs so far - the initial prologue in Archet was very good, and wolves/redemption of the traitorous wolf breeder is pretty good.

DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I've played on Windfola, Level 15 Hunter and I am really liking it so far, I even got to meet Strider. This is my first MMO so I might not be the best judge.
I can't believe how much stuff I have missed and how many sidequests there are. Don't forget you max at level 15 for now

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Kintair, Elf Hunter (almost level 7 right now)
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a Hobbit named Darungo.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

quote:
I had high hopes for LOTR Online, but it didn't impress me.
I have a few complaints with the game too, but let's not forget it IS a beta. WoW had problems starting out too, or so I've heard.

While I'm not ecstatic over it, I'm holding out hope that it will become a great MMO.

Bokonon
Member # 480

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
I think there are three major types of quests:

1. carry stuff from here to there.
2. kill x things
3. find and kill a particular bad guy to prevent a particular bad thing from happening.

And this is essentially what WoW has.

I have to say, in a lot of ways, LotRO is a polished WoW, at least at the start. I wish the UI were a bit more customizable, but their built-in quest tracker is better, The info provided about stuff is better too. The game looks suitably nice for Middle Earth, though at 1920x1200/very high graphics setting, some of the more animated areas cause the game to slow down (the most notable in the 6 levels of play was the flower field outside of Archet.

Too bad I'm a bit bored of High Fantasy settings. I hold out more hope for Pirates of the Burning Sea, and Age of Conan. If you haven't played an MMORPG before, I highly recommend checking out LotRO. So far it seems solid. Of course, WoW is a solid game too.

-Bok

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I downloaded it and activated it; I'll try it out tonight...
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Never played an MMORPG before, but I gave it a shot yesterday. It's pretty fun and addicting. We'll see in the days ahead if it's my thing.

I'm Fristan, a Captain.

I'm surprised I didn't have giant spider dreams last night.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Logging on for the first time right now, on Brandywine.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Lirinan-elven lore-master
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Kelric on Brandywine.

Fun, so far.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

It is fun.
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's Alliance only-WoW in my opinion. It's okay, but I'm not terribly impressed. I have a couple of toons on Brandywine from the closed beta, but I'm not planning on signing in again. Perhaps at some point in the future, but for now I'm still enjoying my EQ2.
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.