FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lord of the Rings Online: First Impressions (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Lord of the Rings Online: First Impressions
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I finally finished the Introduction quest. Does every race do the same one? In the last part of the intro quest I went with Dwalin into this cave and we fought our way to the end where we had a confrontation with some resurrected dwarf king dude. It was cool.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Grr. I tried logging in, but couldn't get to the authentication server.

Grr.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I just have one question.

Is this another EQ clone? So far, I see that at least the class names are different. What's the skill tree like?

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
It's more WoW than EQ.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Thrice-cursed DSL is taking forever to download this.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:
It's more WoW than EQ.

-Bok

See, I consider Wow to basically be a somewhat more polished EQ. Classes about the same. Stuff you do about the same. It's just often more user friendly in the way it does it.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
As if level 8, there are no choices to be made regarding skill ups. (Other than the initial race/class selection, of course.)

It plays very differently to me than EQ, though. More like City of Heroes. I haven't played WoW, so I can't compare.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it so far...I am level 6 now. [Smile]

I don't know if I would like it as a melee player though. How is the combat as a fighter?

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
A slower City of Heroes.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think my laptop's really equipped to handle this (not enough RAM, I think-- things get really choppy in town).

So Esadril is going to gracefully take a ship to Morrowind.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
quote:
It's more WoW than EQ.

-Bok

See, I consider Wow to basically be a somewhat more polished EQ. Classes about the same. Stuff you do about the same. It's just often more user friendly in the way it does it.
Out of curiousity, do you then consider most commercially released MMORPGs since the release of EQ to be clones?
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yes.

[Wink]

Logging in now.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
quote:
It's more WoW than EQ.

-Bok

Out of curiousity, do you then consider most commercially released MMORPGs since the release of EQ to be clones?
Well, keeping in mind I haven't played anything like all of them, some of them moreso than others, but a lot of them seem to like to follow the EQ formula of class tree and quests.

I'm not saying WoW is a carbon copy by any means, but there's nothing in it that wasn't in EQ, and the classes are very similiar to EQ's. It's just they've polished EQ and made it into more of a fast FPS. I do think the writing is ten times better, though.

Sure, EQ wasn't by any stretch of the imagination original. I think we might've had this conversation before, where I called most mmorpgs glorified diku muds and you scoffed at that idea. I still basically think the same thing.

erosomniac
Member # 6834

I think you're right about us having the conversation before. [Smile] I think our definitions of "different," uh, differ.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

On a complete tangent, I am really digging City of Heroes right now. I'm having a blast playing my cyborg Mastermind from a war-torn future, Colonel Korloff!
Kwea
Member # 2199

I really liked CoH. I just have a problem paying per month.

Although I may have to for this one......it's LotR! [Smile]

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I may have to take a look at it at some point.
Kwea
Member # 2199

It's free for two weeks if you join before launch.

Launch is in a few weeks, so don't delay. [Wink]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Logging on now, for about an hour or two before bed. [Smile]
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have reached level 10 you should go look for the scrying pool in Breetown. You get to play as a monster which is pretty fun and a little different. You start as a level 50 monster and you get to attack the free people.
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
does anyone find it hard to control the character?

He sometimes turns to far when I try to turn him...and won't face the same way. I wish you could just click where you want to go like games like Diablo.

I've got a burgler named Athalus and a champion named Gladior

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Logging on for a bit now...anyone in for it tonight?
Lupus
Member # 6516

I was on...but I didn't see you (lirinan) being listed as online. I'm off now though...stuff to do.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

I'll likely be on later tonight, Kwea, but I'm on Pacific time and it's time for dinner here. [Smile]
Kwea
Member # 2199

Another time, I ahve to be up too early tommorrow. [Smile]

I am working on a Champion now. I wanted to see how the combat system worked for them.

Lupus
Member # 6516

whats your champion's name?
Kwea
Member # 2199

Randel.

He is level 6 now, and just bought some decent equipment. [Smile]

I just finished the intro quest as a human Champion.

Lupus
Member # 6516

My champion is level 5. I still have the very least intro quest do do. I teamed up with a guardian to do the rest of the intro quests. Things are much easier/more fun with a fellowship.

so do any of you think you might preorder? I'm really thinking about it.

[ April 14, 2007, 03:25 AM: Message edited by: Lupus ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

I might...I will probably decide in the next day or two.
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm enjoying it so far, though things seem too easy with a fellowship. Of course, I'm a lone wolf by nature, so I only go the fellowship route when absolutely necessary--like for Jasper Mudbottom.

Of course, after spending an hour getting lost in the Old Forest looking for wolves and instead getting stomped by giant Angry Oak trees, it would've been nice to take one of those sunlight-eating, bark covered buttholes down. [Razz]

Anyone know where the Barrow Downs are, or the Sunken Stones area of the marsh?

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.