FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kurt Vonnegut has died (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Kurt Vonnegut has died
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, Theodore Sturgeon's death hit very hard. He taught me so much about people, and the different ways to love.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't really get into Sturgeon until after his death. I was aware of him, but had only read one of his novels and a few of his short stories by '85. Had he died a few years later his death would have hit me in the same way Butler's did.

Other famous people whose deaths I actually mourned (as opposed to just being bummed out because they weren't going to give me any other great stories/songs/etc) include Jim Henson and George Harrison.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I second those and raise you a Heinlein.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Octavia Butler is dead???
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
Octavia Butler is dead???

Sadly enough, yes. She died in Jan. or Feb. of 2006, I think. She collapsed in her driveway. Or on her sidewalk. Not sure which.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't even hit double digits yet when Heinlein passed away!

Asimov is the only other author I can think of whose death occurred in my life time and whose works profoundly affected me. Though it wasn't until a few years after his death that I got really into his books. So Douglas Adams remains the only author whose death affects me the way it does.

I need to read more Butler. I loved Wild Seed, reading it on OSC's recommendation. Not personal recommendation mind you, but he talked about it in "How to write Fantasy and Science Fiction". It saddens me to know there is no possible way I will ever read all the books I want to read before I die.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
I hadn't even hit double digits yet when Heinlein passed away!

I had already read everything he had published. It was striking to realize that I wouldn't ever read a Heinlein for the first time. And then we got "For Us the Living" as a bonus.

[ April 17, 2007, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: kmbboots ]

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
actually, given what you just said, I don't see why his death would have stopped you from reading any more of his works. [Smile]
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
I loved Wild Seed, reading it on OSC's recommendation. Not personal recommendation mind you, but he talked about it in "How to write Fantasy and Science Fiction".
Yeah, that was my introduction to her work also. I think that it's still my favorite of her novels, but all of them are worth reading, and most of them are very, very good.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Ooops!

Thanks. Fixed.

(I'm not that old!)

Noemon
Member # 1115

Aw, you should have left it. It was funnier that way.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Just a tad delusional though. Centuries from now when scholars are trying to figure out how one man wrote so much (a la Shakespeare) my wayard post would have been the subject of many misguided doctoral theses.
Noemon
Member # 1115

:: laugh :: Probably so.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
lol!

It's really sad that she died so young. I was hoping to enjoy many more years of her writing. [Frown] I didn't know until now.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, I was shocked when she died. Apparently, though, she'd been in poor health for some time, but I hadn't been aware of it.

Steve Barnes blogged a personal rememberance of Butler that I found moving, and Karen Joy Fowler wrote areally good piece for Salon.com eulogizing Butler (note that you'll have to click through an ad to read the whole thing. It's well worth doing).

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.