FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is wrong with my heart?

Author Topic: What is wrong with my heart?
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone had this problem? My heart has been doing something weird that's kind of hard to describe. I skips beats sometimes and sometimes it feels like there's "pressure" on my chest. Not literal, physical pressure, but just a weird feeling on the inside that almost reminds me of having a chest cold. Like something's in there making it more difficult to breathe and making you more aware of your heart beat.

A lot of people have said to me "panic attack" or whatever but this doesn't seem anything like what people describe to me. My heart doesn't hurt or beat a hundred miles a minute. Otherwise I might consider that possiblity because I am usually putting a ton of stress on myself.

I should see a doctor, I know, but until my insurance kicks in next month that doesn't seem possible. Does anyone think that this problem might be more of any emergency than I think, or does stress seem the more likely candidate? Any advice would be appreciated: I'm kinda scared, here.

Thanks.

Oh, this has been going on for 3-4 months now.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I've had that before. I think you should see a doctor. [Smile]

This is just the advice of someone who doesn't know anything other than her own experiences: I've felt that, and it was serious stress. Something definitely needed to be done, but it wasn't that I had a heart malfunction and it wasn't a bug. My heart didn't heart or beat fast either, but it felt tight and I couldn't breathe sometimes.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
But what CAN be done? I've never figured out how to take stress off. I've seen a great psychologist before that helped me feel better but my heart was still weird.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I would go see a doctor too.

And it's nice to see you, PSI... it's been a while. [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
What is wrong with my heart?...

It is very hard to tell from here. I'd suspect that anyone who has an answer is full of it.
quote:
I should see a doctor
Well, yeah. Then you could get an answer to that first question.

Take care, and feel better.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
One of the first questions a physician is likely to ask you with these symptoms is how much caffeine you take in per day (coffee, tea, soda, chocolate, [Excedrin migraine, etc.] -- all of it). I agree you should get a healthcare professional to check you out, but I'd also advise you to keep a food/drink diary for a few days, if you aren't able to be seen immediately. It will be helpful at the initial interview.

---

Edited to add: Actually, while you are waiting, if you ingest caffeine, I would suggest you stop. It cannot help your symptoms, and even if not the cause, would only worsen them.

[ April 22, 2007, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about your heart, but is it possible you have asthma?

In the last few months, I've started to feel an intense restricting pressure in my chest, like someone is sitting on my rib cage, and I haven't felt it in probably a half dozen years. I have no idea if that has anything to do with your heart or not, but stress also sounds like it could be a factor.

Going to the doctor should be your next move for sure. Good luck.

And I second CT's recommendation on caffeine.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
One more thing I would suggest, besides what CT already said about caffeine, is if you take any decongestants or cold or allergy medicine, to see if it's got sudafed in it, and quit taking it if so. It causes heart problems fairly often, as we found out when my sister was hospitalized for something that wasn't quite a heart attack. The doctors took her off sudafed, and said that if it had to undergo FDA approval again today it probably wouldn't pass. It's sort of grandfathered in. CT can you confirm if you think this is something else to consider?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Heart Palpitations
Heart murmurs
Panic attack

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I'd agree with Tatiana, for sure.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what it would be but I live on the southeast side now (if I remember you are on the northeast?) So I'm not too far away. Let me know if you need anything.

Whenever I've had those symptoms it has been stress/panic attacks but 3-4 months is a long time. Can you set up an appt for right after your insurance kicks in? In other words don't wait to call or you may have to wait several more weeks to get in.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like what you have is most likely are premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) These are quite common but are usually benign. Like Claudia Theresa and Tatiana said, they are often associated with caffeine use or over the counter medications and can also be triggered by stress or anxiety. This can set up a feed back effect because having them causes you anxiety so you have more

Occasionally they are a symptom of a more serious problem so it is a good idea to have it checked out. If you have to wait for insurance before you can see a doctor, take comfort in the fact that this is common and usually isn't a sign of anything serious. When you do go to the doctor they will likely do and ECG and then they will send you home with a Halter monitor that they will have you wear for 24 hours or so.

Good Luck.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

That was excellent, Rabbit.

---

Edited to add: I wouldn't be surprised if she weren't sent home on Holter, given a reassuring history and physical exam. Often that isn't necessary, but it's best to let the clinician doing the assessment decide.

(Just wanted PSI Teleport not to be surprised if she isn't given extra testing.)

[ April 23, 2007, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Let us know how things are going, Sveta, and what you find out. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I have had the same experience, PSI. I went to the doctor and he put me on a Holter monitor. It turned out it was nothing. But it was good to be sure.
Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotMe
Member # 10470

- posted      Profile for NotMe   Email NotMe         Edit/Delete Post 
I once met a Native American woman who is also a hospital nurse. One of the stories she shared with me was this: A man in her tribe began experiencing some of the symptoms of a heart attack, primarily chest pain. According to their conventional wisdom, he began chewing on white willow bark to reduce the pain. After three days, the pain was bad enough that he went to the hospital emergency room. The doctors quickly confirmed that he was having a heart attack. What they couldn't understand was why he hadn't dropped dead three days before. The patient explained that he had been chewing on the white willow bark, but that didn't mean anything to the doc. The nurse, however, was able to translate: white willow bark contains acetylsalicylic acid, commonly known as aspirin.

My advice to you: take two aspirin and see a doctor in the morning. An ECG will help figure out how serious this is. What you have described sounds like stable angina. Aspirin can't hurt unless you have an allergy. Good luck.

Posts: 145 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[nitpick]

Willow bark contains salicylic acid. We usually use aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) because it's somewhat gentler on the stomach lining.

But modern medicine did indeed learn about the benefits of salicylic acid (and its derivatives) from Native Americans. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Sunday
Member # 10466

- posted      Profile for Stephen Sunday   Email Stephen Sunday         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
Has anyone had this problem? My heart has been doing something weird that's kind of hard to describe. I skips beats sometimes and sometimes it feels like there's "pressure" on my chest. Not literal, physical pressure, but just a weird feeling on the inside that almost reminds me of having a chest cold. Like something's in there making it more difficult to breathe and making you more aware of your heart beat.

A lot of people have said to me "panic attack" or whatever but this doesn't seem anything like what people describe to me. My heart doesn't hurt or beat a hundred miles a minute. Otherwise I might consider that possiblity because I am usually putting a ton of stress on myself.

I should see a doctor, I know, but until my insurance kicks in next month that doesn't seem possible. Does anyone think that this problem might be more of any emergency than I think, or does stress seem the more likely candidate? Any advice would be appreciated: I'm kinda scared, here.

Thanks.

Oh, this has been going on for 3-4 months now.

Smoke at least two packs a day, and you should probably be fine.
I'm kidding.

Get that checked out. You never want to mess around when it comes to your ticker.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I get odd heart rhythms every now and then. Like, I remember one happening a few weeks ago, and another that would have been 2002 or so. There have probably been others, but those are the ones I remember. It just kind of feels like my heart is beating backwards, like when you play singing backwards and all the consonants kind of slip and spring on you instead of acting the way they normally do. It's much more disturbing than a garden variety panic attack.

But maybe it was a glitch in the Matrix.

Also, I saw your 5000th post on another thread and wanted to say "Hi".

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread. Cutting of the caffeine was the first I tried, and it helped a lot. But it's annoying that I feel like even a small amount of caffeine brings it back. Like, a few sips of coffee. Another thing that gives me a similar feeling is taking 600 mg of Ibuprofen...the only thing I can think of is that it's a muscle relaxer? Anyway, I finally have a doctor's appointment. It took a while to get onto my insurance. I just thought I'd give an update while this thread was here.

pooka: 5000 posts? I didn't even notice!

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Fantastic, PSI Teleport! I'm glad a suggestion from here helped, and I'm so glad you are getting checked out by a professional. I just re-qualified for insurance myself, and boy, do I ever breathe easier. Being without insurance coverage was scary, especially given I have a cardiac history.

(You crocheted a black scarf for me, yes? I keep it at my bedside to tie my hair back at night. [Smile] )

---

pooka, that sounds most like palpatations to me, and I'd give the same advice to you as was given above in the thread. I hope it doesn't happen more frequently, but if it does, you also might consider getting a check-up with a professional. Good luck!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.