FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » OK Lets All Be Honest (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OK Lets All Be Honest
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Took my wife in for open heart surgery. Something to do, you know?
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to work much much harder at not doing any actual work. Visited and became a posting member of sake. Very accepting over there, I appreciate it yous guys.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by docmagik:
Took my wife in for open heart surgery. Something to do, you know?

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] Is she ok?!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
My stars. Doc, is she okay? Are you okay?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

She's doing really well.

Here's the story, in brief:

About ten years ago, around when we were dating, she got rheumatic fever. It was misdiagnosed for about a year and a half as Chronic Fatigue, and during that time, her mitral valve was eaten by her own white blood cells.

So we got a pig valve put in to replace it. We knew it would only last a few years, but it was easier to have kids with a bio valve than a mechanical valve because you don't have the complications of coumadin.

Well, in the last couple of months that valve went very suddenly and we had to replace it.

Last time we did this, she'd had the two years of rheumatic fever before the surgery, and had never been weaker in her life. This time, she'd been exercising fairly regularly up until about two months ago. So it's actually going a lot better than last time.

She's pretty much doing everything they ask her to do. The only thing left that might keep her there is something that's not physically in her control, and that's how quickly they can get her blood levels under control with the coumadin.

So we couldn't be happier with her progress. We expect to have her home by Saturday.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Great news, doc. Keep us posted (no pun intended).
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Euripides:
Is it just me or do we all sound like post-addiction support group members suffering from a mass relapse?

I figured I was not the only one, and thus I made this thread.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, God, yes! Hatrack... Give it here! Right in the arm, man! Yeah, that's it! What a rush!!!
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic news, doc.

Your family are in my thoughts - I hope your wife continues her good recovery.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
Oh, God, yes! Hatrack... Give it here! Right in the arm, man! Yeah, that's it! What a rush!!!

The arm takes too long, I inject it directly into my brain via my eyes.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear she's doing well, doc!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I got in shape, finished writing a novel, painted my house, and got practice telling lies.
Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly
Member # 9576

- posted      Profile for Kelly   Email Kelly         Edit/Delete Post 
What was I doing?
Going slowly insane because of exam week, what else?

Posts: 104 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched sixteen episodes of Heroes.

Someone, please, get me some sleep.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by docmagik:
She's doing really well.

Here's the story, in brief:

About ten years ago, around when we were dating, she got rheumatic fever. It was misdiagnosed for about a year and a half as Chronic Fatigue, and during that time, her mitral valve was eaten by her own white blood cells.

So we got a pig valve put in to replace it. We knew it would only last a few years, but it was easier to have kids with a bio valve than a mechanical valve because you don't have the complications of coumadin.

Well, in the last couple of months that valve went very suddenly and we had to replace it.

Last time we did this, she'd had the two years of rheumatic fever before the surgery, and had never been weaker in her life. This time, she'd been exercising fairly regularly up until about two months ago. So it's actually going a lot better than last time.

She's pretty much doing everything they ask her to do. The only thing left that might keep her there is something that's not physically in her control, and that's how quickly they can get her blood levels under control with the coumadin.

So we couldn't be happier with her progress. We expect to have her home by Saturday.

This story sounds familiar.

...she doesn't by any chance hang out on the BabyCenter Latter-day Saints Families board, does she?

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was at Sake, and staying up ridiculously late doing absolutely nothing instead of studying for finals and writing a paper. Which is also what I should be doing now.

Doc, I'm glad to hear your wife seems to be doing well. That's a scary mis-diagnosis!

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I had been spending less time on my computer anyway because the continuously increasing amount of daylight beckoned me to do other things. I feel like I would be wasting time if I was on the internet while a bright sun was still out at 8:30. I didn't find out until a few days ago that the forum was down. How long was it down?

I finished my two bowling leagues, worked a lot of overtime, did a few things with my friends, and visited a golf course for the first time with them. I was awful, by the way. No "beginners luck" there.

Tomorrow (Saturday), I'll be cleaning the house, finding a resume writing service, and possibly be buying tickets to a Cleveland Indians game for my upcoming vacation.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Just wanted to let everybody know Mrs. Magik is back home and doing fine.

And tells me she doesn't hang out on any boards. But I've seen her mailbox and I know she does some mailing lists.

But that is a common story for people who went to BYU at a certain time. Lot of them got misdiagnosed with CFS. I'm not one of the people who doesn't believe in CFS, but I do think it's diagnosed way more often than it should be, at lots of hospitals.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
It was pretty bad. Hatrack was down, Ornery down, Nauvoo down, heck even the enemy's gate was down.

I stayed up late at nights with Sake.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.