FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Questions about Fantasy (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Questions about Fantasy
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Eragon is not good writing, so it cannot be used to judge the whole of fantasy by [Smile] .
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think Eragon was bad. It's not Tolkein or OSC, but I just finished reading about 10 different Meg Cabot books...complete fluff.

I'm into the story and I care about the characters. Isn't that what makes good writing?

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Not necessarily. [Smile] That's a good thing, though, to be involved with the characters, etc.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't believe that Chirstopher Paolini took the name 'Arya'. She's one of my favorite characters ever (From A Song of Ice and Fire). No touchie, Paolini! Grr. And, the big 'twist' at the end of Eldest drove me crazy. How lame! And, with Eragon, I thought there was no place but up for the movie... I was wrong. I thought Hollywood would fix Paolini's errors... Understating cliches, emphasizing the interesting bits (I like the 'shield' girl.), but they didn't.

To whomever thought that the Dragon of Despair was the end, you're welcome (I'm much too lazy to quote.) Charles DeLent didn't help much when in his review of 'Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart', he said it was a good second book, wheras most second books are the weakest in the trilogy. Silly, silly man. But, he's forgiven since he's awesome. The fourth book's description really turned me off to the series... But don't worry. It's really good. It just picked a horrible little blurb thing to go on the back cover.

The sixth book just came out in March (My birthday was in March, and I got it with my birthday money. It was fate.)

Neil Gaiman's books creep me out. I read 'American Gods', and it was during an intensive 3 week camp, where I was living on a college campus, and I was soooo freaked out. I thought, 'I'll read a book, to wind me down.'. No such luck. As luck would have it, the next book I read was 'A game of thrones'. Things FINALLY got better when I reread enchantment. I had to take a break. I'm very impressionable when it comes to books.

Another good series was Pamela Dean's trilogy... 'The Secret Country', "The Hidden Land', and 'The whim of the Dragon'. Awesome books. Patricia Wrede's YA books about Dragons were also good. Very light. Not like a Song of Ice and Fire (Although I like that series... Just not all at the same time.)

I liked the Deed of Paksenarrion too, although I think I already said it. Whoops. I'm too lazy to check. Sorry.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
Another suggestion for more of a themed fantasy subset would be Marrion Zimmer Bradley's "Mists of Avalon" and other associated books. That one was a bit disturbing to read as a 6th grader, but is a very interesting take on the Arthur legend.

Also, I believe it's the Deathgate series by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman I found quite enjoyable (whenever it was that I read them) and had someone interesting different takes on elves and the like.

If you're looking for more young adult reading I also highly reccoment Lloyd Alexander.

as for things being derivative of tolkein, while some are worse than others (both in terms of writing and derivation) the man is such a giant in the field that you have to allow for a lot of his influences to come out all over. Both in terms of general heroic themes as well as the world he built... as someone who grew up on Tolkein and D&D (highly derivative of his work) you come to accept a "standard" world view with respect to things like elves and orcs and dwarves... while people can deviate from those norms you're gonna often run into 2 conflicts:
1) They used an elf or elf-like race therefor they are just tolkein derivatives (even if much of their story is quite original)
2) They used an elf or elf-like race but changed it enough that it doesn't jive with my "normal" perception and therefore bugs me.

and just because various things are derivative doesn't mean that they're entirely unenjoyable. in their day I got great enjoyment from many Forgotten Realms books, David Eddings and even the Shannara books. I might not enjoy them as much now that I have a more expansive/cultured literary palette, but at the time I liked them well enough.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.