FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wanna Help Me Choose a Car?

Author Topic: Wanna Help Me Choose a Car?
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I am in the market for a new (used!) car. My husband wants me in an SUV because so many people have them--not for status but so that I don't get rolled over or crushed when a big honkin' SUV hits me and misses my bumper because they're so high. (If you can't beat them??) Anyway, I like the compact SUVs, so I've been looking at them. Vans and small trucks are also acceptable, as they're higher up.

I made a wishlist of compact SUVs that are in my price range and have good reviews on edmunds.com, but not many of them are available around here. They include the Honda Element, Jeep Liberty, Mazda Tribute, Toyota Rav4, Kia Sportage (2004 only), and the Ford Escape. (There were 7 on that list--I seem to have forgotten one.) All of those on my list were in years between 2000 and 2004. Anything newer is too expensive.

Since I've recently been approved for financing (yay!) there are certain age and mileage guidelines. So, in keeping with that and what's actually available around here, I've made a list of possibilities. There's even a sedan on the list. (Sometimes we can't have what we want!)

1. 2005 Volkswagon Jetta GLS (Sedan)
2. 2002 Land Rover Freelander AWD SE (SUV)
3. 2002 Jeep Liberty 2WD Sport (SUV)
4. 2002 Nissan Xterra 2WD V6 (SUV)
5. 2002 Mazda MPV Wagon (Van)

As you can see, only one is on my wishlist. (2 if the Nissan Xterra ends up being the one I forgot.)

I loooooooooove the newer Jeep Liberties. They're just so darn cute. There's hardly any information on it on the site, though. And I would love a Honda, but not enough people are selling theirs.

So, any experience with any of those 5? Suggestions?

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Buy all five.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad the Element's not on the list. My ladyfriend has one, and while I was innitially offput by the boxy exterior, I am now a huge fan. The only problem is that she insists it would be odd if we both have the same car.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I talk you out of a SUV? Of that group, I liked the MPV best for my purposes. Otherwise, I would lean towards the Jetta.

Christy and I wound up deciding on (and being very happy with) a 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT hatchback.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
My parents are probably buying a Jeep Liberty or a(nother) Dodge Caravan this summer, probably in the 02-05 range. But they have connections to chrystler dealers and employees, so it's what we usually look at.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

I do like the MPV. (I haven't actually seen any of the cars yet.) I kind of like the idea of having a van. I certainly wouldn't be disappointed to have one. I'm not sure if I can convince my husband. I know he's more likely to want a van over a car, though. (It's not like he'll tell me I *can't* get a sedan, he just wants me safe.)

Why not an SUV, Tom?

Have any of you ever had a PT Cruiser? We ended up renting one lately. It was SUCH a gas hog! UGH. I'm glad we rented it, though, or we might have been talked into getting one. We found out that it's because it has a Dodge Neon engine, and it's just way too big for that.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I should point out that all five on your list have mediocre quality ratings at best. If you're looking at minivans, though, I'd recommend the Honda Odyssey. My in-laws have one, and it's a great vehicle. I believe it's often regarded as the best minivan on the market.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Odyssey: nice vehicle, but very expensive.

quote:
Why not an SUV, Tom?
All else aside, the idea that your husband fears for your safety if you aren't in one rubs me the wrong way. It's the same reason I don't own a gun, even though I enjoy shooting.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you considered the Scion xB? Its made by Toyota and although the shape shocks you for a second it has really grown on me, everyone (about 5 people) I have talked to about it likes it alot. Its very affordable, around 13k NEW and hey its Toyota so it won't break on you often. Its marketed towards poor college students but its not like its a rule that only students can purchase a car right?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

There are a number of downsides to the Scion, IMX. The xB in particular lacks any cargo capacity when you've got passengers, and mileage isn't good for the size.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
There are a number of downsides to the Scion, IMX. The xB in particular lacks any cargo capacity when you've got passengers, and mileage isn't good for the size.

define "mileage isn't good"

It is certainly better then a 12mpg POS FORD suv.

edit: the xB is listed at 30-31mpg in the city and 34-35mpg on the freeway. Thats pretty good IMHO.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Well, for comparison, the Toyota Yaris, which is built on the same platform and has the same engine, gets 34/39 with an automatic transmission.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

This car buying business is confusing.

I was completely discounting new cars because I want a low monthly payment. I'd PREFER $150/month (who wouldn't?) but I'm willing to go up to $200, kicking and screaming.

I just got off the phone with a dealer who offered me a 7.9 interest rate, 5.9% with a down payment. I don't have stellar credit, so this really blew the 10.9% I got elsewhere out of the water. The only problem is, the 10.9% is good at any dealer, and the 7.9 (maybe 5.9) is only good at the dealership. They don't have anything I want. But with a good interest rate, and a car 13,000 or less (probably much less), and a huge term, I *might* be able to get a newer car.

Thing is, I'd have to have a long term anyway, so wouldn't it be better to have a newer car at the end of it?

Ugh! Decisions!

And then there's insurance to think about.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I personally have no intention of going into debt when I buy a new car, only when I buy a house. Ill save up all the money beforehand when I purchase. Obviously thats not always possible for everyone, but I would strongly guard against going into debt for a car, the fact you have to pay more money as a gross total on a pay over time program makes the scrooge inside me angry.
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
My advice is: don't stretch the budget because someone has suggested buying new or stepping up a class in vehicles (not that a salesman would ever suggest that). Know what you're willing to pay, and what you can realistically find for that amount so you're not trying to rationalize your way into a more expensive vehicle. It's really easy to budget $150 a month for a payment, and then talk yourself up $50-100 a month to get something you really want. Depending on your financial situation, it could make you regret getting that car for years, negating any positive emotional experience you may get from getting a car that you really want.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

I need a car now. I do plan on paying it off early, though.

Believe me, my buying a car is better than when I was duped into getting a lease. At least this time I'll be paying less every month and when it's done, I'll actually have something to show for it--namely, a car.

$255/month for 5 years for a LEASED Toyota COROLLA. Boy, was I stupid.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure there are no penalties involved with paying off the loan early. Some loans include payoff penalties which can be hefty.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Katarain:
I am in the market for a new (used!) car. My husband wants me in an SUV because so many people have them--not for status but so that I don't get rolled over or crushed when a big honkin' SUV hits me and misses my bumper because they're so high.

A lot of SUVs actually have relatively low crash-test ratings, and can be prone to rolling over. It's a myth that you're automatically safer in an SUV. Many regular cars have excellent crash protection, and are more stable and easier to drive, meaning you'll be less likely to cause an accident yourself.

Besides, buying an SUV to be safe from the SUVs just makes you part of the problem [Wink]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

An SUV with some sort of stability control will be far less likely to roll over, though. Be sure to ask about that.
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Get the pink one.

[Smile]

(sorry I can't be of any help at all - good luck!)

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Get a minivan. All the height of an SUV, without the penchant for rolling over, and generally better gas mileage to boot.

Or you can not get involved in the automobile "arms race" and get a compact car. I get along in my Civic Hybrid just fine, and I drive in Boston, which Verily can tell you is quite a feat.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're thinking of buying from a dealership, have a quick gander at the following - it's quite long but I found it compulsive reading:

Confessions of a Car Salesman

Good luck!

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
We were looking for a new (used) vehicle and wanted better gas mileage than an SUV but would still fit our family of six.

We chose a 2007 Chevy Uplander. It doesn't quite look like a minivan, but still has all the comforts.

Check it out.

It gets about 19 miles in town and up to 24 on the highway. We have the LT with the automatic doors and DVD player. The DV player has wirless headphones. Very nice.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
How many does that seat?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I would go for 1. 2005 Volkswagon Jetta GLS (Sedan). A Jetta is the next car I want, but I can't pin down why. They just have a simple beauty to them.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.