FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » City on Fire

Author Topic: City on Fire
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

Pictures

Probably arson

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ohmigoodness!

[Frown]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
At least there haven't been any buildings damaged. From what I've heard, the only person injured is the guy they're questioning about the fire.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just going to post about this if no one had.

It was unceremoniously sprung upon me by the NBC news folk during SVU (they preempted commercials to cover it.) My husband knew about it beforehand-- but didn't know what Griffith Park means to me and that it would hit me that hard, so he didn't know to break it to me gently.

I just blogged about it, that and praying being about the only thing I can do. No buildings are destroyed although it has come within 1/4 mile of the Greek Theater, and Dante's View is gone.

It's hitting me really hard.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Dante's View is indeed a great loss. [Frown] I really hope the Observatory, which was just remodeled and modernized, stays safe.

The air outside is smoky enough that I had to remove my contacts. My allergies are having a field day. It's not nearly as bad as the 1996 fires -- presumably because the ash and smoke are only coming from ONE direction, not four -- but it's bad enough that Google's poor weather widget is confused and predicting "fog"!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Map

L.A. Times' Breaking News blog

Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Um from the article:

"no facts to indicate that this is an arson fire … it could be an accident."

So, not arson?

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] now I'm really bummed that I hadn't made it up to hike the park yet [Frown] but it's good that it seems no one was hurt (but the one guy) and at least the buildings seem to be aliright, but still a big loss for the area [Frown]
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raventhief:
Um from the article:

So, not arson?

Well, that depends. If the guy didn't intend to start a fire, but lit any kind of fire, it's still arson, since fires are prohibited up there. If he was lighting a cigarette and accidentally dropped a match and it caught, that's not arson. If he neglectfully dropped a burning cigarette or neglected to properly extinguish a match, that may or may not be arson or another crime, as the DA decides the statutes apply.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
if it's an "accidental cigarette fire" issue, I'd half hope that he'd be prosecuted harshly. It may be seen as fairly harsh for such a minor action, but given the number of people I've known to improperly dispose of cigarettes it could be a good lightning-rod for the issue.
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
City on Fire

http://imdb.com/title/tt0093435/

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the huge drapes of smoke when I was driving east on Wilshire yesterday.

If they evacuated the zoo, where did they put all the animals?!

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
Originally posted by Raventhief:
Um from the article:

So, not arson?

Well, that depends. If the guy didn't intend to start a fire, but lit any kind of fire, it's still arson, since fires are prohibited up there. If he was lighting a cigarette and accidentally dropped a match and it caught, that's not arson. If he neglectfully dropped a burning cigarette or neglected to properly extinguish a match, that may or may not be arson or another crime, as the DA decides the statutes apply.
Which probably explains why he's being non-cooperative.
quote:
Originally posted by porcelain girl:
If they evacuated the zoo, where did they put all the animals?!

They didn't end up evacuating the animals, just the people. The keepers stayed late in case they had to evacuate the animals, but it never got to that point.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
I saw the huge drapes of smoke when I was driving east on Wilshire yesterday.
We saw the haze as we were passing through Glendale on our way to Pasadena today. [Frown]
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Florida's on fire, too! Broward County conditions have been downgraded to "go out and you might choke and die" levels.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Northern Minnesota, too. There's an estimates 27,000 acres on fire, about 40 buildings have burned. They did a controled burn yesterday to try to protect more. Some of the pictures are unbelievable.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but they don't have Dante's View Infernoed.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Now Catalina's on fire. [Frown]

I forget, which season comes after Brushfire? Is it Earthquake or Flood?

Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

Earthquake, then Mudslide. [Frown]
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, I am bad a judging distance from maps. Is West Hollywood okay?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

Swarm of locusts? Or is it boils, I forget.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Rivka, I am bad a judging distance from maps. Is West Hollywood okay?

It was when I was there yesterday. [Wink] (I work in West Hollywood.)

Yeah, it's not really near any of the burn areas. Hmm. At least, the part where I work isn't. The hills might be closer. But I think the Griffith Park fire is fully contained at this point, neh?

quote:
Originally posted by BaoQingTian:
Swarm of locusts? Or is it boils, I forget.

Wrong part of the country.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Are the animals in the LA zoo okay? Or does anyone know yet?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

They're fine. They didn't even end up needing to be evacuated.
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
The middle of the country has more water than it can handle, and we on the edges are on fire. Maybe we could stick a big pipe in the Missouri and borrow some of that while they don't want it?

Of course, if I were Missouri, I wouldn't trust us to turn it off when the floods stopped.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
Hey! Florida's on fire, too! Broward County conditions have been downgraded to "go out and you might choke and die" levels.

Lots of the southeast is onfire, I-10 and I-75 is so thick you can hardly see in front of you while driving.
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I thought this thread was about the Florida/Georgia fire. Looks like the smoke is choking half the state.

I know that wildfires are a natural part of nature, and some forests even depend on them for seeding, but it's always hard to accept when you see the devastation.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.