FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Look out! I have a check, and I'm not afraid to use it! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Look out! I have a check, and I'm not afraid to use it!
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
For me it’s a money-saving thing. Keeping cash is like trying to hold water in my hands. Eventually it’s all gone and I don’t know where it went. I spend it way too freely on little stuff I don’t need.

Ditto. I've always read that you should pay for things with cash because it hurts more to fork over cash, so you're less likely to make big purchases. That advice doesn't work for me, because I check my account balances daily, so seeing a big hit in those numbers is what really hurts. And it's not the big purchases I need to be deterred from—it's the vending machines and other nickel-and-diming. Pretty soon my wallet's empty and I've got no memory of what I bought.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I never use checks. I use cash for most things.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are you really so vengeful that you will actively badmouth a store for not accepting your plastic? Maybe it's a result of where I live, but that idea is completely foreign to me.
Not me personally, but I've always heard of people being irritated about it. "I wouldn't shop there if I were you, they only take cash." It's those kind of statements I refer to.

I used to find it irritating, but it's just the way of the world in some places. I carry cash just to be prepared. Another reason is say you're not so careful in your spending and you over draw your account, have less and $0.00, and no cash? Mistakes happen, even to those who are very careful.

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep somewhere between $10-40 on me in cash, but primarily for small purchases or going to a bar. Cash, for me, is the best way to limit the number of drinks consumed. Other than that, I use my debit card for pretty much everything except huge purchases, which go on the credit card (I'm thinking specifically airplane tickets for the latter).

I write rent checks and registration checks, but that's about it.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Great example Carrie, I forgot about bars, I also use that strategy. Never buy more drinks than the cash in your wallet can afford. That's why I don't like going to the bar with a wallet full of cash.

Misery of hangovers are worse than the fun of being drunk.

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
I always have cash because I always know I might need it- for the subway, for a phone call, for a cup of coffee.

Well, for me the subway is not an issue, but parking meters (and parking lots) are. Very few take credit cards. [Wink] I also expect to pay cash at small markets if I am buying less than $10 worth. And I do a fair bit of shopping at small markets. I haven't used a pay phone in years.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Even the small markets in my area take debit cards for small purchases, the only exception being the dollar store, which requires a $5 minimum for debit/credit card purchases. I keep change in the car for parking meters but don't really count that as "cash" since I never use it for anything else (other than the very occasional toll.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

For work (and sometimes otherwise), I not infrequently have to park in lots. Most charge $5-12, and few take cards. Also, when I send my 13-year-old to the market or bakery, she definitely takes cash, not a card she can't sign for. [Wink]

There are weeks I spend lots of cash, and plenty where I spend none. Good thing my bank is around the corner.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Speed:
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
I've also been mugged, and by showing the mugger my empty wallet, and talking really fast, I was able to get away without loss.

You keep an empty wallet in case you get mugged? That policy makes as much sense as installing an unpadded steel steering wheel in case you get in a wreck.

It sounds like you got really lucky once, but one of the reasons I keep some cash on me is in case I get mugged. It would be worth $20 to me to keep the man with the gun as calm and happy as possible.

[Confused] I don't understand. If I don't have money, the mugger leaves. They're not getting any money from me. Why would someone kill me because I'm broke? .... Someday I may die because I don't see the logic of someone else's decision.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
A) Humans are not known for their logic
B) Muggers are a subset of humans especially not known for their logic

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
[Confused] I don't understand. If I don't have money, the mugger leaves. They're not getting any money from me. Why would someone kill me because I'm broke? .... Someday I may die because I don't see the logic of someone else's decision.

Link

quote:
Follow the example of New Yorkers who always carry "mugging money" -- $20 or so that they surrender immediately (don't annoy a would-be-mugger by having no money with you at all).

Just an example.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Thank you for giving me reason number 257 not to go to New York City. Incidentally, reason number one is the disdain shown to NYC in Pace Picante Sauce commercials.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the muggers where you live are far more polite, friendly and reasonable about their requests?

These people may not be very smart, but they're armed, and many of them don't take kindly to being outsmarted.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Ha! In fact they are. No, I was kidding, I have nothing against NY. But I still haven't heard of anyone getting hurt because they didn't have any money when they were mugged. Though, come to think of it, I did see something similar on a soap opera once. Not that I watch soap operas, of course.

But I believe you. New one on me. I'll try not to be so sassy next time I get mugged.

JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I rarely carry cash because when I do, I go through it really quickly. "I have cash in my wallet, I can just stop at Burger King." "I'm really in the mood for a smoothie ... and I have cash." When I don't have cash I'm not as tempted.

And I've never come even close to being mugged. Not too worried about it.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
There are parking meters in DC that take credit cards.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

So I've heard. We don't have any here yet that I've noticed. And to make any difference to me, they would all have to take cards. With my luck, I'd end up at the one on the block that didn't.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.