FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Best *season* of television (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Best *season* of television
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The Deathnote manga's better than the anime . . .
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kojabu:
My So Called Life really only had one season? For some reason I thought it had more than that.

Nope. It only had nineteen episodes. It was the most realistic teen drama ever. I'm still mad that I never got to find out how any of the plot lines resolved. Stupid network TV, I shake my fist at you!
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Telperion the Silver:

I'll do you one better: Ergo Proxy

I might check that out tonight if its so good!

quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
The Deathnote manga's better than the anime . . .

Yeah Ive heard that! I cant get them in any bookstores around here so Im just gonna wait till the anime is over before I order them. Just five episodes left but please dont tell me anything!!! [Smile]
Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

*chuckle*

I doubt the anime includes the entire storyline, either. Your local Borders might carry them, if you have one, they have an excellent manga selection locally.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien.m
Member # 8462

I live in Ireland. All we have is Easons which oddly only has the Battle Royale manga.
Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

That is . . . weird. I'm sure it won't be too long before the anime legions move in [Wink]
Damien.m
Member # 8462

The weirdest thing is that the anime legion IS here! Myfriends and I have to get everything from amazon because theres no where else! I think the bookstores dont think they will get too much business out of us but they will ha...

Oh and Tel, I watched the first episode just now and I think it has geat potential! Havent got a clue whats going on yet but Im sure I will!

vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Dead Like Me. Great show, great actors, great writing.

Also, Weeds, both seasons. Good show, not at all what I thought it would be.

Also Arrested Development 1-3(?) and The Simpsons 1-5.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Snail:

Twin Peaks Season 1 and the beginning of Season 2. (Or in other words the pilot and the first 16 episodes.) Up until the murder of Laura Palmer was resolved Twin Peaks was the best television ever made.

I couldn't agree more. There are scenes from Twin Peaks (eg when the teen love triangle is singing that creepy song) that will be with me all my life.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd agree with Buffy season 3 being the best as far as consistency and writing goes. But when I think about the show I find myself thinking about season 6 more. Season 6 was much more inconsistent... but what the characters went through and suffered through is more compelling for me.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think the show as a whole would have been better if it had ended with Buffy's death at the end of season 5.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
papastebu
Member # 10496

- posted      Profile for papastebu           Edit/Delete Post 
I like Kung Fu , Smallville , and, do I have to wait until August to include Heroes? [Cool] [Dont Know]
Posts: 15 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Stargate SG1: Season 4

Star Trek DS9: Season 6

Friends: Season 7

Firefly: Season .5

West Wing: Tough, maybe Season 2

Frasier: Season 10

MASH: Season 9

24: Season 1 (the novelty wore off after the first season)

Battlestar Galactica 1, 2, 3 (all were good, no sense in picking)

Band of Brothers: Season One (Season two comes out in the next year or two I believe)

Babylon 5, not sure which season, just not Season 1

The Office: Season 2

Honorable Mentions:

Fresh Prince of Bel Aire Season 4ish, Heroes Season 1, Highlander (not sure which season), How I Met Your Mother: Season 2.

I know I'm missing a ton of older shows that wer really good, and a bit of anime too, but that's all I can parse together off the top of my head.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
eek! Bel-Air, not Bel Aire. (They're hoity-toity enough, don't give 'em an extra e! [Wink] Anyway, Bellaire is a street in North Hollywood/Valley Village.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
I'm going to nominate season 8 of South Park. along with the more recent season 9. Both were incredible. Plus, I love "Something Wall-Mart This Way Comes."

I have to second this one. Before season 8, I had pretty much written the show off, but this season really made me a fan again. Looking back on some of the earlier episodes, though, I had probably written it off a bit prematurely.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Battlestar Galactica 1, 2, 3 (all were good, no sense in picking)

IMO, season 1 was noticeably superior to either of the latter seasons. The writing was generally sharper, and the characters were simultaneously more likeable (and here I'm lookin' straight at you, Lee and Kara) and less predictable. Furthermore, there were no outright-craptastic episodes like "Black Market" or "The Woman King" in season 1... really, the only episode I found less than enthralling was "Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down," and that still had some hilariously entertaining moments.

This isn't to say that I disliked the later seasons... far from it. [Smile] Interestingly, the total *number* of episodes I enjoyed actually remained roughly constant from season to season, but in seasons 2 and 3, that left about ten episodes a season that I couldn't get into at all. And those episodes I did enjoy, I still found that I had to force myself to overlook irritating moments of sloppy writing, something I never had to do in the first season.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down. I kept thinking, though, it'd be darker than what it turned out to be. It was weird. But still, I enjoyed what ended up happening.

For seasons 2 and 3, there were a few bad episodes. Mostly, those were the stand alones, which SciFi had asked them to do (not that they asked them to do those stories specifically, just that they were asked to do more stand-alones.)

Black Market was bad. But the Woman King was simply horrible, unpleasant, and unenjoyable. It was the very first time I did not enjoy an episode of Battlestar Galactica.

Now, the Quadrangle of Doom got annoying, I'll mention that in the third season as kinda weak. And like in the first season, they didn't focus enough on the fleet itself, which I'd love to see (they did so more in Season 3, with Dirty Hands being a very good episode.)

However, Season 3, for example, had the very tight and very intense New Caprica story arc, and a number of excellent episodes scattered throughout the rest of the season. Unfortunately, the finale wasn't as good as the finale for seasons 2 or 1, but the Romo Lampkin character completely made up for it with pure panache.

What I noticed, and what someone else mentioned at some point, is that the feeling changed. Time passed, and, like in real life, things changed.

The first season was all about the aftermath, the running, the intense struggles and desperate actions for survival. Season 2, after the Kobol arc ended and things finally settled down, ended up being a season about stability. With Pegasus and everything, they could stand up to the Cylons, at least a little bit. They could survive. They were able to catch a breath and the endless adrenaline finally calmed down somewhat. The internal struggles grew, but things seemed, finally, at least for a little while, stable.

Then Season 3 came, and all that was blown away, wiped away in a flash. And after the New Caprica arc, Season 3 seemed to be all about decline, collapse, how the entire fleet was slowly but surely disintegrating, even with the Cylons taking a break from attacking. Cally mentioned in one episode that the Cylons didn't even need to come back, they'd just destroy themselves. She was right. Roslin and Adama began growing more and more fascist in their actions, the people in the fleet grew even more belligerant than they were in the past. Shortages began creeping up across the board, society was crumbling, things were simply falling apart. The fleet could not and cannot sustain itself at its current level. Things are breaking down, and they will not get better. That's the dark, oppressive feeling that grew throughout the season, even in the crappy Woman King, and it's definitely a very different feeling than season one. It's the darkest season of the darkest show on television.

In fact, the reason I think the show must end soon and that they must reach Earth soon is because of how things are going. Things simply cannot keep going the way they are going. Everything is breaking down, and I fear that if it keeps on going they may not even make it, unless they get to Earth SOON. I have a feeling they can feel it too, the characters, the atmosphere, everything points to the end arriving. At the end of Season 3 things are reaching a level where, without a savior, they won't even survive the twenty minutes they need to escape the Cylons and the Ionian Nebula.

Luckily, in the very end, a savior appeared, risen from the dead, to lead them, finally, to Earth.

And just in time. Because things could continue the way they were, or humanity would end.

Yeah, it's not perfect, but rewatching the first season I don't find it any more perfect, actually. It's very good, very intense, but it definitely has a different feel. And I find myself loving the feel of the third season most of all.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien.m
Member # 8462

Considerind we're on the BSG subject...

Its officially the begining of the end.

Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't see it as such a bad thing. In the UK (mainly with BBC shows) they have a tradition of only running 2 seasons (12-14 episodes total) of any show (see: Extras, The Office, Ali-G, Life on Mars, etc.). What this does is to ensure that the story is ended before the show gets repetitive or just plain bad. Too many american shows stay on when they could have been ended a few seasons earlier (Alias, Lost, Friends, etc.) without compromising the integrity of the show.

I personally like that they have settled for a set ending to BSG, it means they can craft a well thought out and complex ending, without having to rush 3 seasons from now when they unexpectedly get cancelled.

I prefer quality to quantity.

Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien.m
Member # 8462

My thoughts exactly. Im sad that its going to end but its better than getting cancelled and given one or two episodes to finish it. This way the writers can end it on their own terms. And "Go out with a bang..." as they have said.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Damien.m:
Considerind we're on the BSG subject...

Its officially the begining of the end.

Stirkes me as a little ridiculous seeing as how they released a statement that's the exact opposite of that a few weeks ago in response to EJO's comment at that awards show.

I was gunning for five seasons.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

As the article says, "The decision was made by exec. producers David Eick and Ronald D. Moore."

Moore had said before the return of Starbuck meant the coming of the third and final act. This story had always been designed as a coherant story, unlike most TV shows (Bab5 an exception.)

I'm glad. I bet they'll get to Earth at the end of episode 12, (counting the 2 ep movie) and then episodes 13-22 deal with Earth.

Moore said he had two story arcs left, and those are the ones I figure he has.

This is a good thing because it means that, firstly, the decision was made by the creators, who had designed the show to have an ending, a final end point, and, second, as I said earlier, with the end of Season 3 basically stating "EARTH! SOON!" they'd better get there soon!

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Anyway, as another, unrelated post on a season of television, the one season Japanese anime Neon Genesis Evangelion is probably one of the best. In my opinion.
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn, I adored both seasons of How I Met Your Mother<. Why did you like season 2 better? (just curious) I honestly can't pick between them, there are just so many laughs in both seasons.

"I got kicked out of Sea World for Humping a Dolphin."

"We're going to take Liberty by the crack and lick the crap out of it!"

I'm laughing like crazy just thinking of it.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dog Walker
Member # 8301

- posted      Profile for Dog Walker           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Angiomorphism:
I almost forgot!

Scrubs - Season 1 (my personal fav.)

Arrested Development - Season 1 (classic)

Okay american tv isn't that bad...

Scrubs all the way. Its the best show on tv currently. They know how to be fun and crazy as well as have serious issues sometimes. You start to love the characters after time. I have the first two seasons and am about to get the third soon.

The old show "The Pretender" is a good one to look into.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
Lyrhawn, I adored both seasons of How I Met Your Mother<. Why did you like season 2 better? (just curious) I honestly can't pick between them, there are just so many laughs in both seasons.

"I got kicked out of Sea World for Humping a Dolphin."

"We're going to take Liberty by the crack and lick the crap out of it!"

I'm laughing like crazy just thinking of it.

A few more individually enjoyable moments. Slap bets, Swarley, the death of the Fiero, "Let's Go To The Mall," and more. I loved the first season, don't get me wrong. I'm sad that Barney doesn't say "Suit up!" anymore really. I haven't even seen all of S2, I missed a couple episodes. S1 is fantastic though, I didn't mean to put it down.
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
It's very hard for me to pick specific seasons of the show that I like, so for most of them I'll just state that I'd like to see them entirely. (Even though that would take up an incredible amount of time [Big Grin] )

* Blackadder Goes Forth

* Buffy the Vampire Slayer, season 6

* Believe Nothing

* Monty Python's Flying Circus

* Newsradio (gotta love Jimmy James...)

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of my favorites have already been mentioned, the notable exception being Northern Exposure. It's my favorite show ever, and I love every season (even the last). But I'd say season 3 of Northern Exposure is the best season of television.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A few more individually enjoyable moments. Slap bets, Swarley, the death of the Fiero, "Let's Go To The Mall," and more. I loved the first season, don't get me wrong. I'm sad that Barney doesn't say "Suit up!" anymore really. I haven't even seen all of S2, I missed a couple episodes. S1 is fantastic though, I didn't mean to put it down.
Hey, I know!! Don't worry about it. I was just wondering what you loved about the 2nd season and you reminded me of a bunch of things I'd forgotten. "Let's go to the mall!" I'm missing an episode of season 2 here and there as well. I miss Swarley saying "Legendary." That was one of my favorite things about season 1.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

"This is going to be Legen...and I hope you're not allergic to milk because here it comes: dary!"

I miss that too.

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Battlestar Galactica, season 4.

--j_k thinks its important to plan ahead.

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Series 1 and 2 of the new Doctor Who. It's great scifi/adventure that's staying very true to its family-friendly roots. It's hard to decide which one to pick -- I much prefer David Tennant's portrayal of the Doctor in series 2 to Christopher Eccleston's of series 1, but S1 provides a fair amount of continuity that might make S2 hard to follow. It also has Rose, who I quite like as a companion.

Series 3 is also fabulous, but there are still four more of those to come! The latest episode's writing brought me to tears -- good enough for a Hugo, I'd say.

I would recommend any of the Tom Baker seasons, but I haven't actually watched them all yet. I've seen a fair bit of the first season (Season 12 of the old series) and skipped around besides that. It's some great stuff, and I'm endlessly upset that my ignorant American way of life kept me from experiencing it until only a few months ago.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm watching Babylon 5. I'm in the middle of the third season, and the show just got terrifically interesting.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.