FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What actors can't you stand? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What actors can't you stand?
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Shia Lebouf.

This guy is an untalanted hack who was cute and tolerable as a child actor but doesn't have what it takes to be anything else. I find him utterly insufferable. Thank you, ads for Transformers, for helping me see the light.

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Will Farrell seriously gets on my nerves.
He's the only one that really comes to mind.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Matt Damon. Top of the list.
John Travolta.
Ben Affleck.

I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones I cringe at.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Same with Matt Damon & Ben Affleck, though I've never actually realized this before.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by the_Somalian:
Same with Matt Damon & Ben Affleck, though I've never actually realized this before.

Don't they share the same brain or something?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Really? I was ok with them in Dogma. (serious "Chacon son gout" here though)
Plus the two Bourne movies were good.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Jack Black.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Ben Stiller
Ben Affleck

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Nicole Kidman. Dunno why but she really creeps me out.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
None of them gets on my nerves really but I don't see a point in a Billy Crystal or Will Ferrel movie.
Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Really? I was ok with them in Dogma. (serious "Chacon son gout" here though)
Plus the two Bourne movies were good.

I remember a scene in "Boiler Room" where Ben Affleck is trying to motivate a group of salesmen, and you could sense that he was trying to channel Alec Baldwan's famous speech in "GlenGerry Glen Ross" but Affleck is just embarrassingly awful in comparison.
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom Cruise. Not that I find his acting particularly bad...it's just lately he seems insane.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
otterk10
Member # 10463

- posted      Profile for otterk10           Edit/Delete Post 
Actors:
Jim Carrey
Jimmy Fallon

Actresses: Any actress who is only in the movie because she is good looking and can not act at all. Basically, half of Hollywood.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Jim Carrey used to really get on my nerves, then I saw the beauty of Dumb and Dumber. The rest of his movies are still awful. Kira Sedgwick really bothers me. I can't quite put my finger on what annoys me about her, though. I think it is her know-it-all attitude in The Closer. I get that same vibe about Vincent D'Onofrio in Law & Order: Criminal Intent (but only in that show, I really like him overall).
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Rob Schneider.
Ben Stiller
Jim Carrey (GIANT exception to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind- and a smaller exception to The Truman Show)
Nicholas Cage is vastly overrated I think.
Owen Wilson.
Ben Affleck.
Orlando Bloom is waay too popular for what he actually does.

On a side note- I actually like Matt Damon- especially in Good Will Hunting

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Rob Schneider is bearable in one solitary movie: Surf Ninjas. Probably because he was less crude when he was younger, and also because he only plays a supporting role. Maybe a little bit because his character gets picked on a lot.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
Ben Stiller: Just plain freakish to me.

Julia Roberts: Has the mouth of a horse and the acting skills are below Mr. Ed.

Nicole Kidman: Sexy woman, (in lieu of talent: therefore Sex)

Cameron Diaz: She just looks insane most of the time.

Anyone on a 'reality' tv show. They're all actor/actress wannabees.

Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom Cruise
John Travolta
Nicholas Cage
Jim Carrey

There are probably others I'd rather not watch, but those are the big ones.

Not so long ago I would have put Leonardo DiCaprio on the list as well, but since I saw The Aviator and The Departed I've changed my mind about him.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Agree:
Jack Black, Ben Stiller

Vincent D'Onofrio does especially annoy me because he always looks exactly the same to me whether he is confident, upset, pissed, pretending to be someone else to get information. Its like he has exactly one "emote!" mode.

Partially disagree: Billy Crystal, I liked Analyse This. I could easily see how one could sick of him though.

rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by littlemissattitude:
Jim Carrey

Have you seen Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Valentine014:
I think it is her know-it-all attitude in The Closer. I get that same vibe about Vincent D'Onofrio in Law & Order: Criminal Intent (but only in that show, I really like him overall).

That character used to be like nails on a chalkboard for me, but I've found him strangely addicting; love to watch him even though sometimes I really think all the twitchiness is overacting.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate actors who turn their interviews (on shows like The Tonight show and Late Night with Conan O'Brien) into an act. i.e. Jim Carrey, Robin Williams, Will Ferrell...
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Most comedians do that - it's pretty obvious that Leno has been supplied with openings he's supposed to give his guests to lead into jokes.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Sharon Stone
Jack Nichols
Will Ferrell, but Stranger than Fiction was the exception, he was good in that. He didn't act like a three year old that drank coffee and ate pixy stix
Various Baldwins
Charlie Sheen

there are more...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Rob Schneider, Jack Black, Ben Stiller. Hate!

I used to despise Will Ferrell, but then I saw Stranger than Fiction. Now I think he might be ok.

Cameron Diaz. Couldn't tell you why; she just irritates me.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
The world's worst actor: Paul Walker. If I was as bad at my job as he is at his, I'd hang myself.

Orlando Bloom was embarassingly bad in Elizabethtown, so much so that he was acted off the screen by Kirsten Dunst. But he's pretty good in the PotC movies.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly related story.

Last night we went to Appleby's for dinner. Sasha, my 6 year old, was being curious.

He saw a large picture of Elvis and said, "That's Elvis." (He was at an Elvis Impersonator show once and, well, that's another long story).

"Yes" I said.

He then pointed to other things on the wall until he got to a large picture of Beyonce'. "Who's that?" he asked.

"Beyonce'" I said.

"Oh. What is she?"

Good question. Actress? Singer? Dancer? Pop-Star? Stripper who keeps some of her clothes on at least until the camera's go off?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Will Ferrell
Ben Stiller
Jim Carrey

Pretty much all comedy actors who's comedy is based mostly around being juvenile, stupid or obnoxious.

I really like Matt Damon. He was awesome in Good Will Hunting and in the Bourne movies and I thought he was pretty good in the Ocean's movies too. He's one of my favorite actors. Ben Afflect wasn't bad in Good Will Hunting either, but he hasn't made much of an impression in anything else I've seen him in -- good or bad.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I just the actors/musicians based off of which I think is their real talent.

Beyonce, for example, is a much better singer than actor. So she's a singer.

Mandy Moore, on the other hand, is a good actor and a so-so singer. She's an actor.

Will Smith; actor.

Jennifer Lopez; actor, actor, a thousand times an actor (she's a miserable musicians -- if I ever meet the person who convinced her to try music we're going to have a misunderstanding).

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Who can't I stand?

Anyone from Saturday Night Live after I stopped watching it.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I hate actors who turn their interviews (on shows like The Tonight show and Late Night with Conan O'Brien) into an act. i.e. Jim Carrey, Robin Williams, Will Ferrell...
See, I would feel this way, but then I realize that the only alternative is to listen to guys like that talk about their personal lives.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
How can anyone not like Nicole Kidman? (And she can too act...)

Anyway, I can't stand: Tom Cruise, Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Gellar. I also can't stand Jim Carrey in his Ace Ventura style roles, when the director reigns him in and he's not quite so over-the-top he's okay. (Still wouldn't say good.)

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by docmagik:
Who can't I stand?

Anyone from Saturday Night Live after I stopped watching it.

So true.
Nicole Kidman was sooo annoying in Bewitched and in Practical Magic which is a much better book than movie.
Stupid Bewitched and people making annoying movies.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Meryl Streep. I've liked her acting in approximately one movie.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
"Will Smith; actor."

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the awesomeness that is "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It."

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
striplingrz
Member # 9770

- posted      Profile for striplingrz   Email striplingrz         Edit/Delete Post 
Man you guys have mentioned of bunch of people I really like.

Especially Vincent D'Onofrio and Kyra Sedgwick. Those are two of my favorite shows on TV. D'Onofrio was great in Full Metal Jacket, but is awesome in Law & Order: CI. And Kyra in The Closer is just plain wonderful.

I like Damon, not Affleck.

There aren't any women actresses I especially like or dislike. [Dont Know]

There is only one actor I've ever had a real dislike for... Nicolas Cage. I did like him in National Treasure, but almost everything else he's in makes me cringe. My kids so wanted to go see Ghost Rider and just didn't understand why I wouldn't take them simply because this guy is in it.

Posts: 176 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be funny to see pictures of each of you watching one of the actors you hate with a disgusted expression and a lolcat caption under the pic like "Do Not Want!"

Heh.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Meryl Streep does annoy me! There are actresses that are better like Emily Watson and Laura Linny!
GRAH! [Mad]
heheh
do not want

DeathofBees
Member # 3862

- posted      Profile for DeathofBees   Email DeathofBees         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been looking for a reason to post this since I saw the DVD of Miss Potter last week:

Renee Zellweger is so awful in this movie, it nearly made me cry. I cringed when I saw her face on the cover, and I cringed every time her fake English accent and half-smirk drew my attention away from the story, which I really wanted to care about. I can handle her in meaner roles, but, forgive me, Beatrix Potter just isn't mean. Couldn't they have cast an authentically English actress with some degree of warmth? I would have seen the film anyway, whether or not it carried any star power.

Thank you all for letting me get that off my chest.

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom cruuuuuuiiiiseeeeee
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew McConnaughey. Slimy-looking.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hugh57
Member # 5527

- posted      Profile for hugh57   Email hugh57         Edit/Delete Post 
Adam Sandler. 'Nuff said.
Posts: 241 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I pretty much agree with all the above. Though I do tend to like Jim Carrey in his more... 'sane' roles.

But the one I really want to emphasize is Nicholas Cage. Ugh!

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Sarah Jessica Parker. Her and Julia Roberts could start a horse-faced crappy acting club.

Adam Sandler.

Johnny Knoxville.

Jessica Simpson. Gross. Super super gross. And unattractive.

Rodney Dangerfield. The only movie I liked him in was Natural Born Killers, because he got brutally murdered pretty quickly.

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiosity, why do you consider Jessica Simpson unattractive?

I mean, I personally am not attracted to Brad Pitt, but I can see how other people find him attractive. He's just too....generic (I can't think of a better word)....for me.

I can't stand Nicolas Cage.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
There is something in her face that irritates me. I can't exactly explain it. Her mouth is maybe too big? Her eyes too close together? I don't really know. Her face is just icky to me. I know that most men find her body attractive. As a woman I guess I can see it, but that face.... Ick.
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Her jaw is kind of strange, I think...

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Her face looks kind of rat-like to me. Not that I don't think she's hot overall, but her face is far from the best-looking, IMO.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Jack Black in Orange County, THe Holiday, and Nacho Libre

I HATE COLIN FARRELL WITH THE HEAT OF A THOUSAND SUNS! There. I feel better.

I also cannot stand Cameron Diaz. I think she's a talentless hack. And I subconsciously avoid stuff that involves Sarah Jessica Parker. And I'm also definitely NOT on the Maggie Gyllenhal bandwagon. She drives me crazy.

[ July 01, 2007, 02:55 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

....more Colin Farrell for me, then. [Razz]

I also don't like Dane Cook, although he was really good in Mr. Brooks.

-pH

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.