FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Definitive Fantasy Book List (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Definitive Fantasy Book List
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
So You Want to Be a Wizard
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Flying Dracula Hair:
Yuz!

I don't get it.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Threads like this make me so happy, just knowing there are many good books out there that I haven't read yet.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Anything by Lynn Flewelling and Mette Ivie Harrison.

Some things by David Lubar, William Sleator, and Louis Sachar.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
You just keep coming back with more, Puffy. Are they coming to you in dreams? [Wink]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't thing Raymond E. Feist has been mentioned - if not I shall. Raymod E. Feist... [Wink]

The Magician is a good read, the other two of the nominal trilogy are not good too, but not so as the first. I haven't read any of his later books though.

A good take on the swords & sorcery genre can be found in Heinlein's "Glory Road", which is one of my favourites.

Therd is some good stuff on this list - I feel a trip to Amazon coming on...

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarlet Seer
Member # 10687

- posted      Profile for Scarlet Seer           Edit/Delete Post 
Victoria Hanley's works
Gail Levine's Ella Enchanted, Two Princesses of Bamarre, and Fairest
The Witches of Karres
Enchantress from the Stars b Engdahl
Katherine Kurtz's Deryni books (there are some implied, though not approved sexual themes in these)
Robert Asprin's Myth books

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Welcome to the board, Scarlet! I haven't heard of any of those but Gail Carson Levine's work. Very cool.

quote:
There is some good stuff on this list - I feel a trip to Amazon coming on...
I'm having the worst time not buying a zillion books right now. The problem with lots of fantasy is that it's in multiples. (Kate Elliot's SEVEN books!) That gets wildly expensive. I'm going to have to set a budget and a time limit. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second Feist's stuff
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Psst -- Narnia! There's always the library. [Wink]
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Zal, I know. I'm such a junkie, though. The library to me is like borrowing cocaine...but I'll use it if I have to. *gulp*
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
What I do is use the library to slake my addiction and to find out what is worth owning. Then I cruise used book stores, library sales, garage sales, and the internet to find them cheaply. If all else fails, I'll wait until I get a books gift card from someone (and I usually get at least one per year) to buy it new. We've acquired a good portion of our multi-hundred-book library that way.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rohan
Member # 5141

- posted      Profile for Rohan   Email Rohan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of, um, disagree with you, Snail, about the Robin Hobb stuff. The Farseer Trilogy is very good, I agree, and I admit I have not yet read the Liveship Traders, but I enjoyed the Fool books. They weren't quite as good as the first three but I didn't think they were "downright bad". Different strokes, I guess. And I loved the first two Soldier Son books. The second is unrelentingly bleak, but for some reason I thought it was captivating. In a whole different way that the Farseer Trilogy was captivating.

I'll second whoever said that Mistborn was better than Elantris. I thought Mistborn was much better, actually.

For Merlin/Pendragon books, Mary Stewart's were pretty good (for some reason, they felt like they started very, very slow, but it warmed up), I didn't care for the Stephen Lawhead books, I liked Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles (which were really historical fiction and much darker and earthier (for lack of a better term)) and I liked Jack Whyte's Camulod Chronicles a lot too. Those are really historical fiction and Arthur/Lancelot don't really get introduced into the story until the last books. In fact, my favorite books in that series are probably the first few, when it's just a book about Romans in Britain. Hmmm.

Tim Powers's The Anubis Gates is kind of historical fantasy/sci-fi and I thought it was very weird but in a good way. So I read another of his books, Dinner at Deviant's Palace, which is weird, but in a different and not such a good way.

Peter David's Sir Apropos of Nothing is very funny, kind of anti-hero fantasy book, with the title character being, well, kind of a cowardly bastard (literally). I loved it. Apparently, David is known as a comic book writer and Star Trek novelist, but I just picked this book off the shelf because of the cover and the interesting title.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grammargoddess
Member # 10828

- posted      Profile for grammargoddess   Email grammargoddess         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I have to bump!
I'm excited so many people like Garth Nix. I have daughters named Sabriel and Lyriel ( I changed the spelling) and I've only had two other people recognize where the names came from!!
I'll have to look up alot of your suggested books. What I like about OSC (besides the brilliant writing) are the moral questions. It's hard to find authors who really satisfy that for me. I think Sherri Tepper has interesting questions, but I don't like her answers. I love Brandon Sanderson. I can't wait for him to finish his new series. It has a really awesome magic system where one "burns" metals internally to produce magical effects. He's very creative. Has anyone read Sharon Shinn?

Posts: 31 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Talon by Adrian Ward. No smut, lots of great adventure, fascinating fantasy world with magic and best of all some real characters to care about, not 2 dimensional cardboard cutouts.

Oh wait, sorry, it's not finished yet. [Wink]

Apologies, I just decided to take the advice of those who posted in Christine's thread about shameless self-promotion to heart and start early. [Razz]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.