FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Where are you from? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Where are you from?
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
"Southern. Love it or hate it, your accent says you're probably from somewhere south of the Ohio River." It got me right. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
"Where in the U.S. does father not rhyme with bother, and what is the difference in pronunciation?"

Say "father" so that it rhymes with "rather". And drop the "r".

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Er. The way I hear it, father doesn't rhyme with bother OR rather. The vowel is like the A in bah. Fah-ther. (Bother is baw-ther and rather has the same vowel sound as rat.) None of which helps if you are unfortunate enough to mispronounce baw, fah, or rat. [Smile]
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
rollainm -- where is father pronounced that way?

Sharpie -- where is bother pronounced that way?

Thanks!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:
"Where in the U.S. does father not rhyme with bother, and what is the difference in pronunciation?"

Say "father" so that it rhymes with "rather". And drop the "r".

Or, a western New York or Chicago accent would sound like "rather" with the "r."

It's even more like "Fayther."

Think Fargo, but not as pronounced. So to speak. (so to speak)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

An interesting thing to me is mountain language. In the Adirondacks, and in certain Appalachian accents/speech patterns, I notice many similarites.

Where is Jon Boy???

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking really thick northern accent...? I don't know, but I've heard it said like that before.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Boston, for sure. Or Maine.

I think this is why the English folk keep getting pegged as New Yorkers. The R-dropping.

Western New Yorkers would say "Polly" like "Paaally." (rhyming with "alley")

What si funny is the way we keep referencing things as sounding like other things. But if someone says "alley" like "Olly," well, the reference is moot.

I always wondered how Boston kids learned to spell.

Spell "car."

C-A

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.