FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Movie Line Question--So's Your Old Man.

Author Topic: Movie Line Question--So's Your Old Man.
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I have kind of an odd question.

I've got a line that's in DOZENS of movies, but I'm trying to find a particular instance of it.

And it might even be in a TV show.

The line is: "So's your old man!"

In the instance I'm looking for, I think it was said by an older, gruffed voice gentleman, maybe a George C Scott type.

Although I could be wrong.

And the way I remember it, he was either quoting something he'd told somebody, or he was quoting something somebody else said.

So the complete line would be something like, "And do you know what he said? So's your old man!" or "And so you know what I said? So's your old man!"

And then he may (or may not) have repeated it. "Can you believe that? So's your old man!"

I know. This is vague.

Feel free to post any instance of anybody ever saying "So's Your Old Man" that you can think of.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
No one ever has.

That's the beauty of it.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Hey!

Rivka!

So's your old man!

[Wink]

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
The Music Man?

"[kids these days saying] 'Swell' and 'so's your old man'," maybe in a song, IIRC.

---

Edited to add:

Harold Hill: "Mothers of River City, heed that warning before it's too late! Watch for the telltale signs of corruption! The minute your son leaves the house, does he rebuckle his knickerbockers below the knee? Is there a nicotine stain on his index finger? A dime-novel hidden in the corncrib? Is he starting to memorize jokes from Captain Billy's Whiz-Bang? Are certain words creeping into his conversation? Words like "swell" and "so's your old man"? If so my friends, ya got trouble!"

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Folks! Right here in River City!
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Billiards! wOOt!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[Big Grin]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
With a capital T and that rhymes with P and that stands for Please no more Music Man references!
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I know all you folks are the right kind of posters, so I'm gonna be perfectly frank.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[Dont Know] Everything's a Music Man reference.
docmagik
Member # 1131

I'm pretty sure that's not what I'm remembering.

The closest I've come to seeing Music Man is the Simpsons epidsode with the Monorail. [Wink]

MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by docmagik:
I'm pretty sure that's not what I'm remembering.

The closest I've come to seeing Music Man is the Simpsons epidsode with the Monorail. [Wink]

Never seeing the Music Man leads to behavior like making posts about No Fear shirts.

You need to go out and rent that show immediately!

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't recall ever watching Music Man, and none of these quotes are at all familiar. Yet, when I was talking to my dad a few days ago he said that I used to watch it over and over. I have no memory of this! I wonder which one of us is going senile.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.