FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » J.K. Rowling: What next? (A poll)

Author Topic: J.K. Rowling: What next? (A poll)
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka asked me to make a seperate thread for this question in the HP spoilers thread. So you can blame her for another Harry Potter thread. [Evil]

Question: The HP series is over. If Rowling were to write another book/series, would you prefer:

1: A book centering around other charcters in the HP universe that:
a) Knew Harry and/or played a central role in the HP heptalogy.
b) Played very minor roles in the Harry potter books.
c) Have nothing or little to do with HP, and take place in the same universe but in a different time a/o place.

2: A fantasy book/series centered in a completely new universe completely seperate from the HP series.

3: Non fantasy.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
As for My opinion, I'd like option 1c).
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
As a writer, I know that the best thing for her to do would be to write something she can get excited about. There will probably be a lot of pressure on her to write more HP-related stuff and I hope she only does that if she's inspired to do so or I think we will all be disappointed in the result.

I am itching for a bit more of the Potterverse, but I think that mostly has to do with the unsatisfying resolution and epilogue that explained so very little of the aftermath of that world-altering battle. The thing is, I'm not sure if that needs another book nearly so much as another chapter. [Smile]

I don't think she could do another story in the Potterverse with Harry's friends....this was Harry's story and the rest, while a great supporting cast, would not have engaging stories on their own. If another dark lord appears in the near future, it seems certain that Harry would be in the thick of it because he's that kind of person, however much he says he's had enough of adventure. He'd never sit idly by and let another Voldemort come forward -- so anything else that happens in his lifetime will involve him.

It is possible that a story could be set in the distant future, with Harry almost like the new Dumbledore and a new young wizard struggling through but we've already read that story, haven't we? There's no reason for history to repeat itself.

Some have suggested prequels, but they would pale in comparison to this series especially since we essentially know what happened already.

I guess after much rambling I have to say that I'd prefer she does something else. This world has told its story.

So 2 or 3. Couldn't care less if it's fantasy or not.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I could see her writing picture books for little kids as a new career. Or adult murder mysteries.

Don't know why, though, just that she'd need to break away from what came before.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
1a, or nothing at all.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Door number two.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
As a writer, I know that the best thing for her to do would be to write something she can get excited about. There will probably be a lot of pressure on her to write more HP-related stuff and I hope she only does that if she's inspired to do so or I think we will all be disappointed in the result.

I am itching for a bit more of the Potterverse, but I think that mostly has to do with the unsatisfying resolution and epilogue that explained so very little of the aftermath of that world-altering battle. The thing is, I'm not sure if that needs another book nearly so much as another chapter. [Smile]

Agreed. However . . . I still vote for 1a and/or 1b, IF she wants to write them, not if she "has to." (Then again, she just showed us that "has to" doesn't always mean "has to." [Wink]

If not, then choice 2.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am itching for a bit more of the Potterverse, but I think that mostly has to do with the unsatisfying resolution and epilogue that explained so very little of the aftermath of that world-altering battle. The thing is, I'm not sure if that needs another book nearly so much as another chapter.
You can read mine, if you want. (My another chapter, that is)

*grin*

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
If her next work isn't not Harry Potter related, I wonder if it'll be published under a pseudonym

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it already has been!

Quick, what new authors (first published within the past five years or so) might really be her?

[Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 

James, why on earth would it be? She's a writer. Writers write different things all the time. She has immense name-recognition. Stephen King, after his first huge success, didn't suddenly change to a ps

Stephen King might be a bad example. The point is, why should it be?

Anyway --

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
She can finally start on that Star Wars book she's always wanted to do.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, King's definitely a bad example, I can think of two alts he used.

I'd rather it have nothing to do with Harry Potter. Maybe even non-magical at all. But whatever it is, I want it to be a story she'll enjoy telling, rather than writing because she's under contract.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd want anything in the one category. Frankly I'd love another heptology that covered maybe three of four years when his parents were at school and then three or four years of Voldemort's first rise to power, and have it end maybe when Harry is two or three.

Either that or a story that takes place in the time frame of the epilogue after DH.

Or something totally new in the Potterverse with characters we have never seen or heard of before. But I definetely have not had my fill of that universe yet, and I can't imagine anyone else capturing it as well as her.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my top choice would be different (maybe it falls under #3?), but it wouldn't really count as a book because it would be a Harry Potter encyclopedia or something that deals with all of the information she hasn't put in the series. I don't ever want to see another Harry Potter book, but I would like more information.

As for actual "novel", I would enjoy #2, or #3, or just something different from what Rowling has written so far. Of course Harry Potter is what she'll be known for forever, but I want to know if I enjoy her writing style, or her characterization, or just the milieu of Harry Potter? Right now I have no clue!

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
personally, I'd prefer 1c or 2. The general setting definitely seems to have plenty of potential left in it, but I think that the characters themselves have pretty much had their stories told.

If she did decide to go with a 1cish approach, and wanted to keep it linked to the current series, there are two stories I'd most like to see. For one thing, I'd love to see something set around the founding of Hogwarts. It would definitely be interesting to see a lot more about how its traditions and quirks developed, as well as to see what predated it. I'd also like to know more about the early history of Dumbledore, or at least something around that time period.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
1c in a different time period. Tell a story about Merlin, or about some other super powerful dark wizard. Or about...Voldemort's son! Uhh...no, not that last one. But I think a story in HP universe about Merlin (who was mentioned a bunch of times in the series) vs. some very famous dark wizard would be an awesome story.

But not 1a or 1b. Unless it's takes place during or after the epilogue. I don't care about the time period that these books covered any more.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just talking about this with a friend, I admitted that I'd really like to see any of those but I'm particularly curious how she'd do 3 - straight fiction.
Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
She's already said that she wouldn't be writing under a pseudonym:
[paraphrase] What would be the point? The secret would be out before the book was published. [/paraphrase]
A typical hyper-bestselling novel would sell in the low million range. A publishing house "leak" of Rowling's authorship would guarantee sales of an extra 50million+ copies. Or so publishing house employees would think.

And she's already said that the only Potter project that she is considering (at present) is a Potterverse encyclopedia written for charity, ala Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them and Quidditch Through the Ages .

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
4) I'd like to see non-fiction.
Zero to a Billion in under Seven Books has gotta be an interesting tale full of amusing annecdotes.

The first 6 books contained 885,943 words in the UK editions, which comes to $1,128.74 per word.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Harry potter is done with. It had a good run, of a considerable length, and it kept the subject matter fresh for seven books and almost a million words. She knows not to stretch it out too far.

While she knows she isn't looking to continue immediately with more books, there's always the option of contributing with short stories and additions, a la Young Zaphod Plays it Safe.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever she wants. I completely trust her - whatever she writes next will be appropriate and passionate and brilliant.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish she'd hurry up and write the sequel to Lovelock.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come on, everyone knows the next story will be titled, "Harry's Shadow," the thrilling adventure of the lesser known character, Legume, and his adventures in Dumbledore's Army.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt it will happen (other than in the fan fiction world) but I would love to read the story of Neville Longbottom and the DA during the time period covered by this book. I don't think we got nearly enough details of this.

Other than that, I'll try out whatever Rowling writes next, HP related or otherwise.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
1 a, b or c. With cameos from other HP figures, especially the Big 3.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The first 6 books contained 885,943 words in the UK editions, which comes to $1,128.74 per word.
Holey. freakin.' crumpets.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
otterk10
Member # 10463

- posted      Profile for otterk10           Edit/Delete Post 
I want 1c, especially a story about...

the founding fathers of Hogwarts. (1st choice)

A world war between the wizards and muggles. (curious to see who would win)

Grindelwald as the arch nemesis.

BTW, I really like the merlin idea!

Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
It's happening.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

What's happening?
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
More is being published.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

Where has that been announced?
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=049415;p=0&r=nfx
TL
Member # 8124

It was announced on hatrack? Wow. Fancy that. [Smile]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I didn't want to click on the link again, it made my popup blocker mad.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.