FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I am officially the worst brother in the history of Mankind. (HP 7 spoilers)

Author Topic: I am officially the worst brother in the history of Mankind. (HP 7 spoilers)
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
Warning!!! This Post contains spoilers for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows! You have been warned!

Well, you ever do something so unspeakably dreadful, that no one in the history of time could forgive you? Well I did just that... I...

Just ruined Harry Potter for my sister.

We both have been reading the books since they came out, and are two of the biggest fans ever. Sharing theories about who's what, why's why, and how things work, its been such a joy. I waited in line for 11 hours for the last book (1st in line), and we both recieved it at the same time (saved her a spot). But she hasn't been able to read it, she's been busy.

Then, unbenownst to me, my sister is in her room reading, and my other sister and I are discussing the book out side her room, in the hall.

She says (Sister 1): "So how does Voldemort die?"

Me: "He kills himself."

Sister 1: Like in the first one?"

Me: "Yeah, exactly."

Sister 2(The one I ruined it for): JOSH SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!!!!."

Unfortunately, as I said previous, I hadn't a clue she was home. I feel awful. She waited ten years to find out, and I just ruined it. I went in to apologize, but she threatened to punch me in the face.

Sigh. I'm only glad that's all I ruined.

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Arghh... that's pretty harsh.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Dude. Josh, bad Karma is coming your way.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

I know, I know. [Frown]
I'm going to be indebted for life.

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Get a grip.

If this is worst thing you ever do to your sibling, your an awesome brother.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Thank you, hadn't thought of it that way.

The problem is to try telling her that.

Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, good grief. That doesn't reveal much. She doesn't know who dies or who doesn't or how Voldemort is defeated (It was a *bit* more complex than suicide.)

Trust me, out of all the possible spoilers you could have discussed, your sister came out luckily!

That being said, if I were her, and hadn't finished the book, I would've wanted to sock you too.

Once the book is finished, she'll be fine, I think.

[Smile]

Good luck.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
she'll probably get to Harry's sacrifice part thinking that's when Voldmunch accidentally kills himself, and be even more surprised by the outcome.
Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
i was at camp for a month and on the last night (saturday) a kid cried for 2 hours because someone spoiled part of HP. nothing could have been worse than that. You're story isnt that bad, cheer up. [Party] sometimes siblings just blame eachother without just reason.
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Snape's Memories will still surprise her. Rowling is a wretched, wretched tease. Also, your explanation totally implies that someone who loves Harry takes the bullet for him, so she'll be massively relieved to find R, H, and G standing at the end.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I am far worse then you, I took advantage of my reading the leaked version and dangled possible revelation of intimate details over my sisters head for no other reason then to see if I could get her worked up. She never flinched and insisted I was bluffing. My sister has been trained well [Wink]

On the flip side, my brother has not written our family in 3 weeks now, (he is on a mission.) Harry Potter was the book that got him to start reading for fun and he has positively devoured fantasy books in the 3 short years he has discovered reading. He adores Harry Potter.

I say this so you will understand just how vile I might seem when I say that as punishment for him being so lazy and working my parents up so bad by not writing, that I am going to write him and throw in a moderate Harry Potter spoiler. I will also threaten to increase the intensity of each spoiler each week until he starts writing regularly, I will also hide the spoilers in my parents emails so that he cannot escape them. He will have no choice but to write regularly.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you dare, Black Blade. *frown* That is too awful, and it simply means he'll hate your letters and probably stop writing to you altogether and resent it when he writes to your parents. You don't know why he isn't writing - he could be going through something wrenching, and having his brother spoil the book for petty manipulation is certainly not going help.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He will have no choice but to write regularly.
Or you know, to stop reading your letters and emails.

Seriously, it's not your place to "punish" your brother for anything. This idea sounds like an excellent way to ensure that he wants nothing to do with you when he returns and resents you for years.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I would hope my brother wouldn't resent me for years or have nothing to do with me if I dropped spoilers of a book he hasn't read yet.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Katie and ElJay.

As an older sibling, I understand the temptation to "parent" one's younger siblings. It never, ever works out well. Resist the temptation!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
vonk, do you have any older siblings?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
*blink* I don't think I've ever had the temptation to parent. In fact, I usually back up my bro in parent-sibling clashes.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Javert Hugo: Perhaps that is a bit much. More then likely I'll threaten to do something mean if he does not start writing, if he responds with anything but a repentant attitude, a warning spoiler shall be sent. I am 95% positive my brother has not written because he is lazy, not because he is physically unable to or emotionally distraught. Also I'd have to do MUCH more then spoil a book for him to be angry with me on any long lasting basis, this brother and I are VERY close, which incidentally is why I expect better of him.

Rivka: Oh I don't call it parenting, I call it big brothering [Wink] My parents just happen to reap the benefits of my actions. But more then likely I'll find another way to ethically obtain the same result. But the potent power of a premature Potter proclamation honestly tempts me.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually kind of agree with Javert.

*head asplodes*

*world asplodes*

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
BlackBlade, you are really evil if you do that. I really, really hope my boys treat each other with more kindness and understanding than that when they're grown. It's my mission in life.

Also, I really want them to learn that "than" is for comparison and "than" is to be used when one thing results from another.

If you behave in a petty, manipulative way with your siblings, thEn you may reap relationships full of mistrust and resentment. Surely, you are better thAn that.

Josh, she'll forgive you eventually. Let her finish the book and catch up on her sleep before you try to apologize again.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Thankfully, my sister reads about as fast as I do, so I had no qualms including spoilers in the email I sent today.

---

BB, don't do it. Seriously. I'll punch you in the face, as Josh's sister wanted to do to him.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
BlackBlade, you are really evil if you do that.
Is that Snape evil where I am really mean so that I can obtain an honorable end? Or Voldemort evil where I am mean because it makes me happy to be so? Petty? I'm threatening to hit him where it hurts, rather then simply chide him as has been done a thousand times. As I said before, "Ill probably find another more ethical way to obtain the same result."

Carrie: *rolls dice to see if he successfully dodges the face punch.*

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
People I didn't know ruined the 5th and 6th books for me. Stupid Boy Scout trips...
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:
I really want them to learn that "than" is for comparison and "than" is to be used when one thing results from another.

I'm sorry, Olivet, I don't usually poke people for things like this, but it was too funny this time.

[ROFL]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

It's Davidson's Law. I'm just being a law-abiding citizen! [Big Grin]

Edit: I've actually made it rather a point of honor not to mess with grammar quibbles on forums, in chat or whatever. It's just that BB specifically drives me nuts.

In that friendly, OCD sort of way. So much so that I've convinced myself that he really knows better and is only doing to to annoy me. [Wink]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
*blink* I don't think I've ever had the temptation to parent. In fact, I usually back up my bro in parent-sibling clashes.

What's the age difference? And are you both still living at home?

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Rivka: Oh I don't call it parenting, I call it big brothering [Wink] My parents just happen to reap the benefits of my actions.

Uh huh.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like it's been a while since some people have written their parents.

Tsk tsk. It's not BB's fault.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I know! I know [ROFL] (at myself)
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Perhaps God reads the forums because my brothers JUST called me on the phone which I found extremely strange in terms of timing.

We talked for about an hour, missionaries are not typically allowed to call but there was a family tragedy and so he was permitted to call his family. We talked about Harry Potter among other things and I threatened to spoil it for him if he didn't start writing, he said I wouldn't dare. Apparently my brother AND sister have the same mentor *looks around* [Big Grin]

Chalk up one point for "Alternative Ethical Means."

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
You just experienced a family tragedy and you're worried about... uh, nevermind.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

The only true 'nevermind' on a forum is the delete button". [Wink]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
You just experienced a family tragedy and you're worried about... uh, nevermind.

I anticipated this response, I tried to address it by saying, "Among other things." I only mention the tragedy as I wanted to explain why my brother was permitted to call home when typically missionaries are not permitted to do so.

We talked about the tragedy and I could tell he was getting shaken up, and since HE changed the subject to lighter things, I felt like it would be good for him to just talk about fun things so as to get his mind off it. He told me a few of his Potter theories and I about fell over. He predicted,

1: Dumbledore has some skeletons in his closet.

2: Kreacher must have gone with Regulus to get the horocrux and after drinking the potion went crazy.

3: Dumbledore is dead dead, not coming back (he did not hear about Rowling's confirmation of this fact.

4: Snape is actually good.

5: Voldemort knows that once Harry turns 17 he will come of age and the protection spell will be gone. He will attempt to ambush Harry as soon as he leaves the Dursley's house.

He had two or three others that were spot on, but I can't remember them.

Mankind
Member # 2672

- posted      Profile for Mankind   Email Mankind         Edit/Delete Post 
::Checks his history::

Yup. Worst brother ever.

Posts: 75 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

That's oh too good.
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
vonk, do you have any older siblings?

Yup, two older, four younger.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.