FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Star Trek (2008) Spock almost cast!

Author Topic: Star Trek (2008) Spock almost cast!
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Perfect casting.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I never heard of him before today, but he looks doable.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
I never heard of him before today, but he looks doable.

....I have a new love.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Heroes, baby.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I expect they'll officially announce his casting (and the still unknown choice for Kirk) during the San Diego Comic Con this weekend.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
OOOooooo - I would have to start thinking of him as a good guy??? That would be hard.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
The original concept for Spock was that he was a martian/half-martian who looked like a devil with red skin, pointed ears, etc..
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

By the time "The Cage" was filmed, they changed things around a little. I recall reading the red makeup didn't test well onscreen. Looked too lurid.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. The original concept was that he was green. Not red. And it wasn't that the green makeup didn't test well on screen. It's much funnier than that.

They made him up all green, shot the footage, and when it came back, he was normal flesh tones. They figured maybe the green makeup they were using just wasn't showing up well on film. So they tried again, but really caked the stuff on, to make sure that it showed up well. And once again, when the rushes came back, he wasn't green at all.

Turned out the lab thought the green was an artifact of the film, and they'd been "correcting" for it.

Anyway, they decided that the green wasn't necessary anyway, and let it go. It's in Roddenberry's book "The Making of Star Trek".

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
He is going to be perfect as Spock. My sister is a raging lunatic fan of his (and Star Trek) and she's been following this for a while. She'll probably die with joy when she finds out. I think he'll do a great job. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
*breaks out Star Trek Memories by Shatner*

1 out of 2 ain't bad.

You're right about Spock originally being green, but according to Shatner, the technical problems with the green skin wasn't with Spock, but with the Orion slave girl in "The Cage". I think they had dropped the green Spock idea before they ever got Nimoy.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:

They made him up all green, shot the footage, and when it came back, he was normal flesh tones. They figured maybe the green makeup they were using just wasn't showing up well on film. So they tried again, but really caked the stuff on, to make sure that it showed up well. And once again, when the rushes came back, he wasn't green at all.

Turned out the lab thought the green was an artifact of the film, and they'd been "correcting" for it.

Not quite, Lisa. The incident you're referring to happened with the "Orion Slave Girl" from Pike's fantasy sequence. Really. [Smile]

Sound like you heard a version of that garbled in with the story about Spock's early make-up being changed, as often happens.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I think they had dropped the green Spock idea before they ever got Nimoy.

My father had an old, old (published in the early 1970s) book about the making of the show...it had a couple of pictures of Nimoy being tested in makeup of various tints, and discussed how the tints were dropped by the time "The Cage" pilot was filmed, yeah.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

OK. Fun to know!
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

And knowing is half the battle.
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Quinto will be great!
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Never seen him act (Although 'Heroes' starts tonight here, so it won't be long - yay!)
But he really looks like Spock.

Slightly worried who they'll cast as Kirk, though. None of the suggestions so far have sounded very promising.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
It's fun to see OTHER people trying to out-nerd each other, for once.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
Never seen him act (Although 'Heroes' starts tonight here, so it won't be long - yay!)
But he really looks like Spock.

Slightly worried who they'll cast as Kirk, though. None of the suggestions so far have sounded very promising.

Wait. You say that Heroes starts where you live tonight? Do you mean season one or two?
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hookt_Un_Fonix
Member # 10094

- posted      Profile for Hookt_Un_Fonix   Email Hookt_Un_Fonix         Edit/Delete Post 
Syler is a good character. So I think he can act. During the course of the seasons you can see a range of emotions and role playing with in that character alone. I think he could do the logic of Spock rather easily, but I don't think any one could ever have the presence Nimoy had.
Posts: 120 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Nimoy was great...but it's a fact that if one wants to set a film in the pre-TOS era, he's aged way out of the role. [Smile]
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Perfect choice, utterly amazing.

By the way, I get the impression from various sources that the film might be about Kirk assuming command of the Enterprise, and maybe the very inception of its five-year mission (the series just plopped us into that, remember, without much explanation).

Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wait. You say that Heroes starts where you live tonight? Do you mean season one or two?
Season 1. It's been shown on SciFi already here (which I don't pay for), but it starts on BBC tonight. I've been hearing good things, so I'm looking forward to it. [Smile]
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Rumor has it the film will take place during the years Pike was in command, David...but who knows?

All that's been confirmed is that it'll focus heavily on Kirk and Spock...and take place in the mostly unrevealed years just prior to TOS.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.