FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Backpacking

Author Topic: Backpacking
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I know some of you out there are into backpacking and other outdoor sports, so I turn to you for advice.

Since I plan on going into NPS, I'm looking to start learning backpacking and camping skills. I'll probably only be able to do weekend trips, but there's a distinct possibility I'll be traveling to California next summer, which means a trip to Yosemite and some of the coastal parks, along with San Francisco and LA.

So where should I start? I'm a relative novice at this- I've only ever taken day hikes before, since my parents aren't in the best of shape and have other health problems that prevent them from joining me most of the time. Are there any good books for beginners, and what about equipment?

Thanks!

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Get a good pack. One that feels comfortable on your individual body, not someone else's, and distributes weight well for you. People with different frames need different packs. That's more important than almost anything else (except good socks and boots.) Second to the pack, socks, and boots, is get a good sleeping bag.

My dad trained us when we were little by taking us on nice hilly day hikes that got progressively longer and more difficult, and we first carried only our water and sweater, then added progressively more weight, until by the time we were 6 and 9 we went backpacking and were able to pack in and out almost half our own body weight.

We used to do most of our backpacking up at Point Reyes, which I highly recommend if you're going to be in CA.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Before you buy that pack, you might want to try a few. So, I recommend borrowing for the first couple of times. An internal frame may work best for you. It's more expensive. I use an external frame. My kids say I'm just cheap. But, I enjoy the flexability. You do need to make sure that even a borrowed pack is fitted well. The majority of the weight should transfer to your hips through the belt. Shoulders were made for crying on. Try taking the big pack on some day hikes just to get the feel for it.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

I don't have anyone I could borrow a pack from. My best friend's dad has been a boy scout master for years and years, and used to backpack and stuff all the time(before his son aged out), so he's going to help me get started, but I'd like some outside input.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can't borrow any packs to start out on, make sure you don't make a decision to buy based on an empty pack. See if you can fill it up to give it some weight, so you know how it feels.

I like my Kelty backpack, and I really liked the Katmandu bags I saw some of the Aussies with when I was in Europe.

If you have an international hostel nearby, you can always go stay there a night or so on weekends and talk to folks about their packs. Most hostelling backpackers I've met are pretty friendly and might be willing to let you try theirs on for size to see how they feel.

Just a thought.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
You may also want to visit a local sporting goods store - I highly recommend "REI" if you can find one nearby. A good portion of their sales staff are also outdoor enthusiasts and offer great advice.

There are a lot of guides available - "outdoor skills" vary wildly from one end of the spectrum to the other. Use that as a measure when looking at guide books - some are extreme "Grizzly Adams" while others are more sedate.

Otherwise, the usual recommendations apply:
1. Good flashlight
2. Good footwear - depending on expected terrain
3. Basic first aid kit
4. Pocket knife or multi-tool

A lot of your equipment will be determined by the weather, time spent outdoors and the general location.

-TMedina

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotMe
Member # 10470

- posted      Profile for NotMe   Email NotMe         Edit/Delete Post 
REI is definitely a good place to get started. Their high prices are well worth the great service. If you've got an REI near you, check to see if they are offering any "intro to backpacking" type classes soon. If not, just go in when they aren't too busy and start talking to a staff member. They'll let you try on all the packs you need to find one that fits (and they'll give you weights to get an accurate fit).

Once you've gotten most of the big-ticket items (backpack, sleeping bag, tent, stove, cook kit), start camping. Grab a friend, go to a state park and spend the weekend in the wild. Don't worry about the backpacking too much at first. Just learn how to camp near but not in your car. As you get more experienced, you'll learn what kind of things to buy and you'll accumulate the necessary gear for full backpacking trips.

At this stage, try to avoid spending more that about $10 on anything unless you are sure that it is high-quality equipment. For example, until you are ready to spend at least $50 on a nice non-stick aluminum cook kit (from the likes of MSR and GSI), try to just eat out of your parents' tupperware and cook off of the regular steel pans. Once you've mastered cooking over a single-burner stove, upgrade to the lightweight pots and pans.

Your profile says you are a student. Check if your university has an outdoor recreation department or program. At my university, students can rent basic camping equipment (tents, stoves, etc.) at really low prices. This is a great way to get started.

And, of course, the best way to learn is to befriend an experienced backpacker and start tagging along. You'll be able to share equipment and pick up lots of little tips.

Have fun!

Posts: 145 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

And the college may have an outdoors program - which would enable you to go camping and so on with other students and have a more "hands on" experience with other people with varying degrees of experience.

-TMedina

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve_G
Member # 10101

- posted      Profile for Steve_G   Email Steve_G         Edit/Delete Post 
Water filters:

You need to have a decent way of making water potable on the trail. If you are hiking alone then you can get the bottles with the filter in the bottle. I've never used them though. I tend to pack with friends though, so we share equipment. My friends carry hand pumps, but personally I hate them. They are a pain to use and the one I bought never worked. After my bad pump experience I bought a gravity bag filter instead. I love it, because it takes no work. you can relax while you water fills up. I took it out for the first time last month and guess where everybody got there water from?

http://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-Base-Camp-Water-Filter/dp/B0007U0148

Its not a bad idea for someone in your party to have a pump as well though, because the pumps work much better in small streams.

Posts: 197 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Water filters:

You need to have a decent way of making water potable on the trail. If you are hiking alone then you can get the bottles with the filter in the bottle. I've never used them though.

I use one all the time. I have never had any trouble with mine. (Bota Bottle) They would probably clog quickly with dirty water. But I hike in the Sierra Nevada. You will probably be too when you go to CA. The water in the Sierra is clean and clear but some has giardia. The Bota Bottle filter will handle that just fine. They are lots less expensive than the pump type filters.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
it may not be the best, but the Boy Scout Handbook is actually a really good starter guide on camping knowledge/equipment and other useful outdoors-y stuff (I'm reasonably sure there's some good equipment lists in there).

My favorite personal reccomendation for camping equipment is a frisbee: serves as entertainment as well as your plate AND bowl, and they generally pack well and are easy to clean etc.

Note on clothes: even if you're expecting it to be warm for the most part, make sure to bring at least one pair of warmer clothes (pants, long shirt and a jacket are potentially enough) even during summer in california it can get cool (especially at night and/or at altitude).

Start slow: while you may not get the perfect park experience, you can still see a great deal of awesome stuff within a day-hike in most parks. Until you're more confident in your experience/abilities try to do shorter hikes, camp within relatively close range of civilization etc (this can mean just be close to a ranger post or a populated camp ground...)

Definately camp at least once where you have full access to civilization before you do anything bigger (i.e. camp a night at a local forest preserve or something so that you can figure out first-hand what important stuff you forgot, and what other stuff you realized was just weighing you down).

Go with people, even if they don't have experience, when you're not alone then there's someone to help if you get injured, remember the thing you forgot etc...

Learn basic map-reading if you don't already know it and have a decent map of the area you are planning on hiking.

Be friendly with the other people you meet on the trail. From my experience fellow hikers/campers tend to be extremely friendly and helpful. Not only is this good for you as a newbie, but it's something we should all strive to further.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Artemisia Tridentata:
quote:
Water filters:

You need to have a decent way of making water potable on the trail. If you are hiking alone then you can get the bottles with the filter in the bottle. I've never used them though.

I use one all the time. I have never had any trouble with mine. (Bota Bottle) They would probably clog quickly with dirty water. But I hike in the Sierra Nevada. You will probably be too when you go to CA. The water in the Sierra is clean and clear but some has giardia. The Bota Bottle filter will handle that just fine. They are lots less expensive than the pump type filters.
Just had to chime in to say that I LOVE the Bota Bottle!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Thanks for the advice guys.

My dad lent me his old Boy Scout handbook and the trail guide companion, but they're really outdated(he was a boy scout more than 30 years ago), but I'm going to look through them anyway. It's certainly more than we ever got in Girl Scouts- all we ever did was go to glamor shots and put on fashion shows. Ick.

TMedina
Member # 6649

Plan your gear according to the situation.

And don't be afraid to thumb throught the camping section of B&N, Borders or your local library.

Before you start looking at trail guides, start off with something simple and easy before you tackle a larger project.

-TMedina

NotMe
Member # 10470

- posted      Profile for NotMe   Email NotMe         Edit/Delete Post 
Forget the Boy Scout Handbook. Grab a recent edition of the BSA Fieldbook (and check out the web site for more useful info and lots of links).
Posts: 145 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.