FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pledge to Not Delete Threads (Page 1)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Pledge to Not Delete Threads
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Pledge:
I hereby agree not to delete threads on Hatrack River to which others have responded, unless the opening post clearly indicates that I am reserving the right to delete the thread or I have included the word "Mayfly" at the end of a thread title.

I am aware that deleting the opening post of a thread deletes the entire thread; if I wish to remove the contents of an opening post, I will delete the text in the edit box rather than delete the post.

I acknowledge that other posters may rely on my having taken this pledge in deciding whether to post in a given thread, and that a list of people who have taken the pledge and subsequently deleted a thread will be maintained on this thread.

Nothing in this pledge shall restrict my right to edit posts I have made.

I may revoke this pledge at any time by posting a revocation in this thread. I will not delete threads posted prior to my posting a revocation in this thread.

Posters who have taken the pledge (including whether revoked, times ET):
Dagonee, August 09, 2007 12:53 PM
Strider, August 09, 2007 01:09 PM
MightyCow, August 09, 2007 01:12 PM
kmbboots, August 09, 2007 01:15 PM
aiua, August 09, 2007 01:21 PM
Seatarsprayan, August 09, 2007 01:26 PM
pooka, August 09, 2007 03:03 PM
Bokonon, August 09, 2007 03:43 PM
MrSquicky, August 09, 2007 01:18 PM
Flaming Toad on a Stick, August 09, 2007 06:28 PM
The Flying Dracula Hair, August 09, 2007 06:52 PM
Lupus, August 09, 2007 09:59 PM

Posters who have violated the pledge:

[ August 09, 2007, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Better put in a clause saying revocation cannot be retroactive, or anyone wanting to delete a thread will just go here first and revoke.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Done.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I refuse to join in. I think deleting can be (is not always, but can be) just fine, and as the mods have seen fit to allow the ability, I think they agree.

I do pledge to use, to the best of my ability, wisdom, judgement and discretion in my thread-deleting choices. As an adult, I trust myself to do so.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
sign me up
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Kat, I'm hoping to use this thread simply as a reference, so that people who care about this can make posting decisions accordingly.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I deleted a thread once.

Man, remember when the hug thread got deleted? That was crazy.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I so pledge.

I also pledge to get some lunch before 3pm, but that's just to remind myself not to get too busy today.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I've ever deleted a non-mayfly thread.

I hope I've earned the trust of the community to not capriciously delete their posts, even if I don't take a pledge.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if I've ever started a thread, but sure. Sign me up.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I probably deleted more than one thread, I'm just thinking of the time that was most significant to me. I don't think anyone except Papa Moose really noticed.

The thing is, I'm mortal and I make mistakes. I can see where deleting a thread doesn't generally undo those mistakes in a meaningful way. In fact, it seems like it would cause more harm in most cases, but you never know.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, but I really don't see the point.

It'd be better to have a listing of people who delete threads, but that's not really workable.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Why not?
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
The thing is, I'm mortal and I make mistakes.
To me, the correct thing to do in this case is to own up to your mistakes, not to try to remove all evidence of them occuring.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt there will ever be a need for it for myself, but I'll play along. It can't hurt.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Why is there no point to this or why a thread-deleter registry isn't really workable?
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take the pledge. I hate thread-deletion.
Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

Can we mark thread deleters with a red D next to their name? Shun the sinners, I say [Wink]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I should have put an "on purpose" caveat in my pledge. I don't think an accidental delete is likely, but I shouldn't underestimate my ability to push wrong buttons.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I don't see why not put up a list of suspected thread deleters.

As I said, deleting a thread is not usually going to be the best way to undo damage that posting a given thread has done. Though I can say from personal experience that any apologies one gives are likely to be covered over in a tidal wave of posts attacking one's sincerity.

Which I probably warranted at the time.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I pledge to delete things whenever it'd be funniest.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I think we all go through phases. I remember thinking dobies were the epitome of funny a few years ago and that people who complained about them were curmudgeonly.

I also used to like puns but everyone around here is so much better than me at it.

I guess tying this back to the subject at hand, there was a time I would have passionately supported this pledge, but not so much at the moment.

MightyCow
Member # 9253

quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
I also used to like puns but everyone around here is so much better than me at it.

That's like being better than someone else at kicking puppies.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the mere idea of castigating thread deleters is laughably anti-funny. It reminds me of the Gray People from the old Changeling games: people who take everything so seriously, including their own words, that they turn the world into a museum of ego.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aiua:
I doubt there will ever be a need for it for myself, but I'll play along. It can't hurt.

I can think of ways that it could hurt.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I can remember, I have never deleted a thread, nor do I currently intend to. However, there may very well be circumstances where I feel that a delete is the best option available. Because of this, I don't believe that I can pledge not to delete threads at this time.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I think the mere idea of castigating thread deleters is laughably anti-funny.
Which is why I decided to go in the opposite direction.

quote:
It reminds me of the Gray People from the old Changeling games: people who take everything so seriously, including their own words, that they turn the world into a museum of ego.
You're free to assign whatever mistaken motives you wish to those not liking thread deletion.
pooka
Member # 5003

I'm just curious to know what started this, or it's been something you've been mulling over for some time now and decided the climate was ripe.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad I hit refresh before posting, because ricree just basically said what I wrote. I don't think I'll ever delete a thread, but I really can't make myself care that much if someone else does.

Although, if someone had deleted the really looooonnnggg Lost discussion w/ spoilers from Seasons 1 & 2 this year, I would have felt a tad bereft. I was catching up with the dvds and that thread was my vicarious conversation, since I couldn't participate in the Season 3 discussion.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

I think this is a great idea. Those who don't see the value in the pledge are free not to participate. Those who do can decide how much effort they're willing to put in to a discussion when it might be gone 10 minutes later.
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I would rather not give up my right to delete a thread. I've never done it before and have no plan to do so...which I wanted to say...but I won't be pledging.

Cheers, though. [Smile]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Leave it to the lawyer to come up with something like this. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Oh, is it about this?
quote:
I know some people have a casual attitude about derailing threads. If someone does so twice, in a manner that makes it clear they have no interest in the actual topic I posted on or in returning the thread to its true purpose...then I am very likely to delete it.
-Puffy Treat Thread deletion and the ethics of aspiration

I'd say Puffy was completely justified in deleting in that circumstance. He felt he was being mocked and belittled, and this thread isn't doing anything to help. He's already depressed and jobless.

I was actually tempted to delete a thread the other day because no one had replied to it, and if you haven't tried it, you should make a thread about something that is uniquely interesting to you and watch it slide down the front page into oblivion.

I don't see deletion as a greater evil than deliberate derailment. If you have a problem with Puffy, you should address him rather than create some ex post facto declaration that he is not a member of your definition of civil society.

MightyCow
Member # 9253

Isn't this an opportunity for people to turn over a new leaf? Tomorrow is yet unwritten, we can all pledge to stuff!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
Sure, but I really don't see the point.

Oh, look. Something Squick and I agree on!

This thread makes me feel like the HUAC is alive and well. [Razz]

I also agree with mph.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Again, can we please discuss whether or not other people should delete threads somewhere else? MC summed up my intent perfectly:

quote:
Those who don't see the value in the pledge are free not to participate. Those who do can decide how much effort they're willing to put in to a discussion when it might be gone 10 minutes later.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

I don't think this is so much about Puffy. Puffy, if you are reading this, don't feel bad.

I think that this is more a "safety clause" for people who "craft" posts - putting time and research into them - rather than just people who are having a casual conversation. Or for people who sometimes do that. It is helpful and, I think, an incentive for people to post thoughtful posts if they have some assurance that the posts won't wanish.

edit: or vanish for that matter.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
*puts rivka on the list*
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't completely read this thread, so I'm not sure where others stand on the issue? But this is one of those times when the only reaction I can think of is:

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

And of course it's not literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard of? That's just what you say when you think something is so ridiculous it would be a complete waste of your time to come up with an argument against it?

What I'm hoping is that people realize, over time, how silly the idea of this is (my opinion - sorry) and that eventually they have the good sense to delete this thread.

[Smile]

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Again, can we please discuss whether or not other people should delete threads somewhere else?

This thread looks like a lost cause Dag. You should probably just delete it and start another one until people get it right.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
This thread makes me feel like the HUAC is alive and well.
Alright, the attacks are getting ridiculous.

Apparently, not only is it not OK to express annoyance/frustration/other negative emotions over thread deletion, it's now McCarthyism to simply provide a centralized means promise that one won't delete a thread.

quote:
If you have a problem with Puffy, you should address him rather than create some ex post facto declaration that he is not a member of your definition of civil society.
This is specifically not about Puffy. And, despite your repeated attempts to make it so, it is not about you.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate it when people delete threads. When I come to perceive someone as a person who deletes threads, I no longer make thoughtful replies to their threads. I have never deleted a thread myself (that was ot marked as a mayfly).

That said, I will not be pledging. People will have to trust me based on my past behavior rather than on my stated pledge.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the HUAC comparison was over the top, but I do agree that this is a bad idea. It seems like a way to breed mistrust.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The mistrust has already been bred, Jon Boy.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
*puts rivka on the list*

*shrug* I probably should have been there already. I am a known thread deleter. Why, I think I may have deleted an average of one per year I've been on Hatrack! The HORROR!

I don't happen to feel my analogy was over the top. This thread is designed to coerce people to comply with one side's view on a divisive issue. IMO, that is many orders of magnitude more divisive than the issue itself.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this thread has the potential of turning into a really great fight! I'm in! Everyone not prepared to take the pledge are potential thread deleters and most likely bordering sociopaths and social misfits as well. Ban them all, I say!
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

The whole point is to let people know which posters don't ahve enough respect for other people's contributions to keep from deleting them, so that they would know that they couldn't be sure that the things they were writing in those threads wouldn't be wiped out.

If we created a list of people, we'd need to put it in a thread. The only way to keep this thread available would be to either constantly bump it or have PJ make it stickied, neither of which is, to me, an acceptible solution.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I don't happen to feel my analogy was over the top. This thread is designed to coerce people to comply with one side's view on a divisive issue.
No, it's not. It's specifically designed to create a VOLUNTARY compliance scheme.

If people truly don't care about thread deletion, then it will have no effect.

quote:
IMO, that is many orders of magnitude more divisive than the issue itself.
Easy for someone to say who favors being able to delete threads.

Just because thread deletion is not divisive to you doesn't mean it's not divisive.

Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
What a great way to solve the problem, polarize the issue!

The pledge is garbage. A thread is not holy writ people. Your posts, no matter how researched, are not holy writ. It should be YOUR responsibility to safeguard your research, information, and effort put into your large posts. We are guests here. If you want you writings completely safeguarded, keep it on your own webspace or hard drive.

That being said, do I think deleting thread is bad form? Yes, absolutely, but it's not always bad form. It's sometimes necessary. Belle for sure has stated a good reason for deleting a thread, such as confidential information she didn't want shared.

Bottom line people, get a grip. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Easy for someone to say who favors being able to delete threads.
You have got to be kidding. This whole thread is a joke, isn't it? It's a parody of something else? Or a social experiment? I'm being 100% serious here. I've suddenly realized that this whole idea is so over the top it cannot possibly be real. Someone email me and clue me in, I beg of you. I won't interfere, I just want to know what's really happening.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.