FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pledge to Not Delete Threads (Page 9)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Pledge to Not Delete Threads
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
As a sidenote, I keep reading the thread title as "Please to not delete threads" which I KNOW is dialogue similar to some character in a movie or television show, but I can't, for the life of me, think of what.

---

*sigh* Never mind. It's from the lolcats thing.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that dialogue style is from many "foreign accent" parodies that predate lolcats by quite a bit. I'm thinking Andy Kauffman's character from Taxi, for example.
If that makes you feel any less shameful. [Wink]

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't hear you. I'm still hiding my head under the couch pillows.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
If I may hazard a gentle suggestion to those who feel great loss at being bereft of their posts when threads are deleted... because after all, the Cards have told us that all our posts are subject to deletion, the forum being in the nature of living room conversations rather than permanent pronouncements set in stone......

My suggestion is that instead of maintaining blacklists of posters who might delete threads (in either negative or positive space), could you possibly just make copies of all your posts before you post them? Like, keep a word processing document open while you're posting, and just do a quick copy and paste of each post before you hit the "add reply" button. Then your words will not be lost. I think it's a great solution, and feels a lot less .... I don't know... scary, and intransigent and punitive and argumentative and didactic and ... yeah! coercive! [Smile]

Just an idea. Hope it's helpful.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
My suggestion is that instead of maintaining blacklists of posters who might delete threads (in either negative or positive space), could you possibly just make copies of all your posts before you post them? Like, keep a word processing document open while you're posting, and just do a quick copy and paste of each post before you hit the "add reply" button...

I actually do this with all the posts I truly care about. Then again, that totals like 10-20 posts over 7 years, so your (.doc) mileage may vary.

And I find it to be a very good suggestion.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
If I may hazard a gentle suggestion to those who feel great loss at being bereft of their posts when threads are deleted...

Note: I'm not one of those people. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Its not necessaily about valuing having our words saved so we can look at them, tatiana. In fact, for me, thats the smallest peice of the puzzle.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Goldner:
Its not necessaily about valuing having our words saved so we can look at them, tatiana. In fact, for me, thats the smallest peice of the puzzle.

I'd like to hear Dagonee say this as well. Not sure it'd clarify anything, I just want to know if it's the time and emotion he puts into his post, or the interaction / conversation aspect with others that he considers the unforgivable loss when a thread is deleted.
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's like why I can never throw away greeting cards, wedding announcements, or those business cards with people's pictures on them. I don't actually look at them again, but the thought of throwing them away makes me want to pick at my moles. [Wink]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
It's like why I can never throw away greeting cards, wedding announcements, or those business cards with people's pictures on them. I don't actually look at them again, but the thought of throwing them away makes me want to pick at my moles. [Wink]

I'm the same way actually, and have a small stack of cards that have survived numerous moves and cleanings. Then again, the last wedding invitation I got I really wanted tear up and then go cry in a corner somewhere... Can I equate that to deleting a thread?
pooka
Member # 5003

[Frown]

(((Feyd)))

But were you able to?

Here's the problem with cluttering in general, though, to be serious on that subject. I have so much stuff that I can never find the stuff that matters. I've read a couple of books on the subject, and I know I have a serious problem. I had an insight a couple of weeks ago as to how it is fundamentally like my compulsive eating.

Now I'm not comparing Hatrack to my basement, but I am wondering if the emotional impulse to never discard anything doesn't deserve to be challenged.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

No, I did neither. Instead, I wound up actually making the trip to another state and going to the wedding because 1) I never was good at telling her no, and 2) I figured as miserable as I'd be, she'd be much happier if I was there. At least the second part seemed to be proven true.

The only thing that's keeping me from being a certifiable packrat is that I live in an apartment. And I like being able to see SOME of my floor, let alone use it.

Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I will preface this by saying I haven't read the entire 9 pages so it is entirely possible this thread has gone on to another topic but personally I assume since I am posting on a public forum in a thread started by someone else there is a potential for it to be deleted. If for some reason I need to save the conversation I can copy and paste into my word program. I've had threads deleted where I was participating and even if I didn't understand the reasons why I respected the OP's decision and the emotion behind it.

Then again, I start topics and only get a handful of replies and it quickly drops to the nether pages so who am I to talk?

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Speaking of clutter, I am now in an existential crisis because my my garbage disposal has tripped its circuit, and poking it as best I know how hasn't fixed it so my husband comes back from his trip, if I mention it, he will ask me where the manual is with that smug tone that means he knows I don't know where it is, and therefore he can't do anything and then I will have to kill him. [Mad] [Wink] [Mad]
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
Kwea,
I don't see where what you quoted and what you said match up.

I'll clarify. kat said that it is not PJ's job nor something he does to decide when someone is being nasty enough to shut a thread down or (by extension) edit or delete someone's posts.
quote:
While I would completely trust Pop's assessments of when someone is nasty enough to be deserve to be shut down, that is not his job, I don't think he wants it, and the TPTB have not made it so.
I demonstrated that this is not the case. PJ clearly does do this and it is explicitly laid out as part of his job.

It seems to me like people are saying that he doesn't do it enough (in kat's opinion), which, to me, would suggest that she disagrees with his judgment.

You showed a few examples of some conversations where it happened. That doesn't mean that every conversation that is disagreeable meets the same criteria.....PJ doesn't interfere unless the TOS has been violated for the most part.

And while the TOS says anything can be deleted for any reason, part of why I love Hatrack so much is that that power is used sparingly. As it should be, IMO.

There are a lot of things that would not necessarily fall under a specific violation of the TOS, but some people would feel were over a line they aren't willing to cross.

I know for a fact that there are times where something gets whistled because it is highly offensive, but PJ can't (or won't...it's a fine line) act just because he dislikes it. Unless the TOS is violated he pretty much stays out of it, particularly compared to most sites.

[ August 11, 2007, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
Speaking of clutter, I am now in an existential crisis because my my garbage disposal has tripped its circuit, and poking it as best I know how hasn't fixed it so my husband comes back from his trip, if I mention it, he will ask me where the manual is with that smug tone that means he knows I don't know where it is, and therefore he can't do anything and then I will have to kill him. [Mad] [Wink] [Mad]

Maybe you can find a copy of the manual online or, if it's still in production, get another copy from a store. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Yes, it's important to remember there are always options. [Wink]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, let's just say that creativity in avoidance can be met with creativity in assistance. (heh heh)
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

As a side note, I wonder if this is fundamental difference in a view of authority?

I prefer more freedom and less safety.

It's already been said, but my view can also be easily characterized as preferring more freedom and less safety.

After all, people want to delete threads to, among other things, take down stuff they mistakenly posted or to get rid of mean things that have been said. In a very real sense, the ability to delete threads is a safety net at the expense of the freedom to post knowing that a participant in the conversation won't decide to destroy the thread.

It's only a net for the opening poster, of course. The rest are stuck posting without that net if they so choose.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Not really....we can always edit out our own comments.....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Or delete them.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Not really....we can always edit out our own comments.....

quote:
Originally posted by Ela:
Or delete them.

Oh, can you?
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Yes, you can. The only problem (from the point of view of the deleter) might be if someone quoted the post you want to delete, because of course you can't delete someone else's post, unless you are the thread starter and delete the whole thread.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yep. Of course, I did realize the irony of stating that after defending the right to delete threads. [Big Grin]

The point is that you can ask someone to delete their quote of you, but it up to the poster to decide if they want to comply. With the option of thread deletion, providing you started the thread, you have another option.

As long as you can live with the fallout of that decision, that is....

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ela:
Yes, you can. The only problem (from the point of view of the deleter) might be if someone quoted the post you want to delete, because of course you can't delete someone else's post, unless you are the thread starter and delete the whole thread.

Thread deletion isn't only used to take back posts the thread started regretted making. It's also used to remove posts made by others that the thread starter found hurtful.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Which is where things start getting sticky. [Smile]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I so pledge, add me to the list.

I will also have to sort through 9 pages of this to see how this thread could have possible gotten this long.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not believe I ever *have* deleted a thread, so I have no particular difficulty accepting this pledge, for what it's worth. If it will make people feel more secure in posting, I welcome it.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Thread deletion isn't only used to take back posts the thread started regretted making. It's also used to remove posts made by others that the thread starter found hurtful.
Yes, I'm aware of that.
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.