FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Two Links

Author Topic: Two Links
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.poodwaddle.com/worldclock.swf

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/62

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Here's a suggestion: Go to the first link, check out the numbers. Then click the "now" button at the top to reset everything to 0. Leave that window open.

Then go and watch the video in the second link in another window. It's about 17 minutes.

Then check out the stats in the first link after the 17 minutes.

Thoughts?

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
It makes a lot of sense. If we can make life better for those who are worst off, then they can achieve more and help all the more.

It's like... John Rawl's principle of Maximin on crack? If we look to those who are truly the worst off, work to improve their condition, then the condition of all people improves.

I dunno, my two cents. Either way, I would like to see some action taken.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I love TED. I watch at least one video every other day or so. I'm gonna run out soon!
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for both links.

I watched the TED talk with interest. The chap made some very good points and I was surprised that my list completelly at odds with the list created by the consensus.

It would be good to extend this thinking to within the governments of the G7...

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

I really like TED as well.

I like this video, but the comments bother me.

People almost never fail to miss the point.

And the point of this one, I think, is summed up in his phrase, "a defense of boring problems."

grammargoddess
Member # 10828

- posted      Profile for grammargoddess   Email grammargoddess         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I've never been to TED before, but I was very pleased that humanitarian efforts topped the list. I think getting proper sanitation and nutrition in third world countries is so important. If we could just get those people in a position where they are living in more hygienic conditions, with less disease, they will be better able to sustain themselves. I think ensuring proper medical and prenatal care should be the next priority. Moms who are in good health themselves and who nurse their babies would be giving the next generation an awesome start.(As a prenatal health and nursing advocate, I had to add that last part!)
Posts: 31 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.