FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Perseid meteor shower tonight (Sunday)

Author Topic: Perseid meteor shower tonight (Sunday)
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
link

It's hazy here in Virginia, so not a good night for viewing, but a little while ago there was a break, and I still didn't see anything... anyone seen any?

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
It's clear here tonight, so I'll probably go up on the roof for some stargazing in a little bit...

Oh! That link says they're peaking right now. I'm going out to check it out and taking my podcast with me.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I was camping all week and there were an unexpectedly large number of shooting stars. Then it occurred to me that we might be heading into the Perseids, so when I got home I checked and presto! I was right.

[Smile]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
I was out for my morning jog (shuffle) by 4:00. I only saw two. But, it's smokey here in this part of the desert. I was disappointed.

[ August 13, 2007, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Artemisia Tridentata ]

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
My birthday is Aug 12th, so it's very easy for me to remember when the Perseids are. [Smile]
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back from a secluded spot in eastern Washington state. Very good viewing, and very good show. I only wish digital camcorders were up to the task of capturing these things. [Wink]

I'm going to die for a few hours now... O.o

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
My only convenient watching spots are awash with light pollution, alas. The last time I tried to look, I lay out for a couple of hours and spotted two airplanes and a lightning bug. Call Brian Marsden!

I didn't look last night but I thought about it. [Smile] Hope it was a great show for everyone. I saw this cool picture from APOD and really wished I could enjoy them too. =)

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Thursday night I saw one of the biggest shooting stars I've even seen while out for a walk.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
Did taking my little boy who has a cold out at midnight to look for meteors make me a bad Mommy or a good Mommy?

We had fun though! we had only a few, but one was really spectacular. It streaked across the sky overhead, then shattered into different colors before going dark.

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I went out to the observatory Sunday night and didn't see a single meteor. Very disappointing. We did see the Hubble telescope, which flared, and another satellite that flared ever bigger, which were both cool. And Jupiter was huge and we saw a couple cat's eye nebulas and a globular cluster and a couple of other doo-dads. It was pretty neat, but no meteors.

Somewhat related, I've been getting emails about Mars being close to earth on Aug. 27, but google only gives me urbanlegends.com and they have it reported as a hoax from 2003. Is this the same thing, just a hoax, or is this one real? Any spacey people know? (At the observatory a woman asked me if I was a space person. I told her "No, I'm an Earthling.")

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not absolutely certain, but I think it is the same hoax still floating around. I seem to recall getting it last year.

And I completely forgot about the Perseids. Too much was happening this past weekend.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's entirely a hoax. In August 2003, Mars was the closest it'd ever been to Earth (or maybe it was just the closest it'd been in a long, long time). But if the email said it'd look as large as the full moon, then yeah, that's a hoax.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the same hoax, yeah.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
No, it wasn't as large as a full moon. But, here in the desert, it appeared to fill a full degree of arc. It was spectacular. (It will probably get bigger in memory too.)
EDIT: I mean the 2003 Mars appearence.

[ August 15, 2007, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: Artemisia Tridentata ]

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm one of those types:

It's a hoax that comes out every summer to annoy Astronomers.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.