FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wireless network help

Author Topic: Wireless network help
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
My roommate has an uber 3 antenna receiver for his network card, and he doesn't have a problem with his wireless connection.

I have only a 1 antenna receiver for my network card, but I still get a 72% good connection on average.

But for some reason, I'm getting dropped all the time from the internet. It works, then it doesn't, i have to repair 3 times, before marching downstairs to powercycle the darn router! Everyone (i think) is on a static IP, so there shouldn't be any conflicts, and even if there were, it would let me know if there was a conflict...right?

What could be causing it to drop out all the time? It says I'm connected to the access point, but the "internet cannot be found". I don't know which brand to blame, Linksys or that (coughFisherPricecough) Belkin router.

Are there any settings that might be an issue? Help me please, I'd prefer not to run a 75 foot cable from downstairs! [Wall Bash]

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got no idea what your problem is--I've had some trouble getting a Belkin router to work before, although the symptoms were slightly different, so I don't know if that has any bearing on your situation. I guess you should reinstall the drivers for your network card and see if that fixes anything. Also, get into the router configuration page and check the DHCP settings and the static IP assignment lists to make sure there are no conflicts. Other than that, I don't know what to do.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
edit: double post. Darn EDGE connection.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
I also recommend updating the drivers on your card and the firmware on the router.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I think I might have solved the problem. The software that Linksys provided was (I think) trying to obtain an IP automatically, while through Windows, I had set a static IP.

This meant that until Linksys and the Windows IP's matched, I would get no internet. Once I manually setup the connection with the linksys software to match what was set in Windows, I don't seem to be having as many problems.

Knock on wood! [Smile]

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
If you do continue to have problems, I would definitely try Bando's recommendation.

Oh, and make sure there is a microwave oven in between the two locations.

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

Card drivers are up to date. Firmware...I don't know about the firmware...The connection's been really good tonight though...only 1 issue in like 5 hours.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.