FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Any civil engineer/landscaping people here? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Any civil engineer/landscaping people here?
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs* to MattP and family

I think that your sensitivity and understanding towards them during this situation is admirable. You really have tried to put yourself in their shoes, however it doesn't seem like they are capable of doing the same.

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
The inspector can't do anything about a building that isn't there yet and I can point out the setback restriction to the neighbor if I want to go that route. An explicit threat to report future setback violations might motivate him to re-engineer his wall, but that could get really ugly. I'm keeping that card in my pocket for now.

You haven't even pointed out the setback restriction? Why not? If done diplomatically (don't look to me for advice on that! I'd be all in his face) this could solve your problem by convincing him to change the site of the shed. I can see him having his heart set on a shed, but why does it have to be right on the property border, where it's prohibited by code?

This would also bypass the whole engineering issue: let him build his half-baked wall elsewhere, where it's collapse or drainage problems won't affect you.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how I could do that diplomatically. Diplomacy doesn't seem to be effective with them.

Concrete has already been poured for the rest of the outline of the pad he wants to pour, so he can't just scooch everything over. If he's forced to obey the setback rules, he's probably going to have to make a smaller shed. That is going to be a really aweful conversation to have with him and I think I'd rather just let him build the shed against the fence, provided it's done safely.

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm all for people doing what they want on their property. But when they ignore setback codes that affects your property, a response is called for. You should at minimum tell him about the setback code before construction continues.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zan
Member # 4888

- posted      Profile for Zan   Email Zan         Edit/Delete Post 
The picture I have in my head is that if things are done like your neighbor wants, you're going to have a shed looming over your fence. That's not a real neighborly thing to do.

Is the shed actually going to be on top of the wall or is the wall simply to provide a level platform for it?

Posts: 221 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

It will definitely be looming. The fence still follows the old slope, and the shed will be built above the new wall, so it will rise 6-8' over the fence at the lowest point.

I am intensely annoyed by that, but that annoyance has taken a back seat to the structural concerns right now.

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zan
Member # 4888

I'm not sure why this didn't occur to me before now, but removing the fence to see if his "wall" will hold won't really prove anything. Even if it does, which could happen although it's unlikely, that doesn't prove that it will hold up during a storm when you have water moving through the fill. Much less what will happen once the shed is built and filled. That will add a considerable lateral load to the "wall".

I'm sorry, but a "wall" made of blocks stacked on top of each other require that I use quotations. Otherwise, someone might get the idea that I consider it to be a wall in my professional judgement and I'll get sued, lose my house, my family, spiral into depression, etc.

Posts: 221 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zan
Member # 4888

I'm not sure why this didn't occur to me before now, but removing the fence to see if his "wall" will hold won't really prove anything. Even if it does, which could happen although it's unlikely, that doesn't prove that it will hold up during a storm when you have water moving through the fill. Much less what will happen once the shed is built and filled. That will add a considerable lateral load to the "wall".

I'm sorry, but a "wall" made of blocks stacked on top of each other require that I use quotations. Otherwise, someone might get the idea that I consider it to be a wall in my professional judgement and I'll get sued, lose my house, my family, spiral into depression, etc.

Count me as in as one who also admires your restraint. BTW, this is zgator signed in at home.

MattP
Member # 10495

The uncle never came by today. We'll see the geotech guy in the "late morning" tomorrow. I'm glad the real expert is coming by first so I'll know what questions to ask the supposed expert coming later.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Arrgh. I wish I could zap him with the patented Ray of Sensibility for you, but it's still in beta form.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
Arrgh. I wish I could zap him with the patented Ray of Sensibility for you, but it's still in beta form.

See whenever I use MY ray of sensibility it exacerbates the problem, or introduces a new problematic dynamic. Can I try recalibrating it to your specifications Claudia?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

The geotechnical engineer just came by and completely vindicated me. He said that what was there was not a wall, that it would eventually fail, and that it should be built, as I described, on a footing with rebar and concrete reinforcement.

He also reassured us that when it does fail, it will do so gradually and is not likely to be dangerous to us, just expensive for the neighbors. Given that, I'm going to pass on the warning and let them move forward if they decide to.

Now, what to do about that 3' setback rule...

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

BlackBlade, we currently are having overcorrection problems: the subject goes directly from obtuseness straight through to hyperliterality. We think it's an accidental side effect of the reversed polarity on the neutron flow. Civilian use has been discontinued until further notice.

MattP, could you perhaps pass on that setback information when you pass on the warning, and just leave it all in your neighbor's lap? Any chance you could send it by email, so that you have a record of it (just in case you are blamed later for "knowing about it but not doing something," [either by the neighbor himself or the local government])?

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

That's sort of where I'm going right now. I'm writing a letter that gives the conclusions from the engineer (with promise of a copy of the official letter from the engineer). I'm going to include a paragraph about the setback.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
BlackBlade, we currently are having overcorrection problems: the subject goes directly from obtuseness straight through to hyperliterality. We think it's an accidental side effect of the reversed polarity on the neutron flow. Civilian use has been discontinued until further notice.
*Points own ray of sensibility at Claudia and fires*
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

And saving a copy of everything you send, I'm sure. [Smile]

I doubt you actually need to send it certified mail, and that would likely be seen a provocative action (I am guessing here at how he would see it, in my inimitable Aspergery way, but that seems about right). At least this way he knows he was informed (and that you know, and that forgetting he was informed won't fly), and he can take the risks on his own head if he so chooses. Plus, you might just be providing him with useful information that he might have otherwise been misled about by people he trusted.

Well done.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Ah, my good man, I am perfectly shielded by my lack of social skills and determinedly curmudgeonly ways.

Sensible, sir? Nevah!

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Ah, my good man, I am perfectly shielded by my lack of social skills and determinedly curmudgeonly ways.

Sensible, sir? Nevah!

Impossible, everybody knows that girls being made of sugar, spice and everything nice are incapable of avoiding at the very least a sympathetic response to the ray of sensibility.

Now whether your response appears to be sensible is a result impossible to predict. But a response MUST occur! [Big Grin]

MattP
Member # 10495

So, I stuck that letter on their door (they weren't here at the time) and now, two hours later, there's a concrete truck pouring their pad. They would have had to have scheduled that before today so not only are they being unreasonable, but we can add dishonest to the list. They had agreed to an inspection prior to moving forward and their guy never showed up and they didn't know that ours would be by today.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Document, it MattP, just in case. Keep a written record somewhere as hard copy, with a note of when you put the note on the door, everything. Just in case, eh?

And then hope for the best. But don't lose that record!

MattP
Member # 10495

Yep. We will do a certified mail of the engineer's letter. It may seem over the top, but I've learned now that I cannot trust these people.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Well, that does sound like a good idea to me. And I suppose you can continue to be as friendly as possible when you talk about other things as they arise naturally. ("Hey, hot enough for you?" [Wink] )
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.