FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sometimes, it's not always bad news

Author Topic: Sometimes, it's not always bad news
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Stars and Stripes

Iraqi man sacrifices himself to intercept suicide bomber
Stars and Stripes,
Mideast edition, Wednesday, August 22, 2007

An Iraqi man attending a “concerned citizens” meeting is being credited with saving the lives of four U.S. soldiers and several Iraqi civilians by stopping a suicide bomber.

According to U.S. military officials, the incident happened over the weekend in the town of Arafia, near Baghdad, where soldiers from the 3rd Squadron, 1st Cavalry Regiment were meeting with a citizens group at a group member’s home.

“I was about 12 feet away when the bomber came around the corner,” Staff Sgt. Sean Kane was quoted as saying in a U.S. military news release. “I was about to engage when he jumped in front of us and intercepted the bomber as he ran toward us. As he pushed him away, the bomb went off.”

The man who intercepted the bomber was killed. Neither his name nor other details about him were released.

“I have no doubt the bomber was trying to kill American soldiers. It was very calculated the way the bomber tried to do it. If he hadn’t intercepted [the bomber], there is no telling how bad it could have been,” Kane said.

“He could have run behind us or away from us, but he made the decision to sacrifice himself to protect everyone.”

According to U.S. officials, the man’s father was also part of the citizens group.

Later that night, officials said, the group tipped Iraqi police about an alleged al-Qaida in Iraq cell. The police conducted a raid that ended with four arrests.

The citizens group is among initiatives by U.S. units across Iraq to bring sometimes-armed groups of civilians into the fight against both Sunni and Shiite militant groups.

-TMedina
Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I wouldn't necessarily call that GOOD news either. An innocent man lost his life, even for the good of others, he is no longer alive. I think that stinks.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The courage to do something like that leaves me without words. I hope that if faced with the same situation I would respond the same way.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing that, Trevor. It is good to be reminded that our troops are not the only one's making sacrifices. And the citizen's group sounds like a helpful initiative.

I am sad for that man and his family.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that this has many positive aspects, but I really don't think this fits under the heading of "not bad news".
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.

I wonder what his name was?

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
This makes me feel like I did when the stories about Flight 93 came out - inspired and sad at the same time. [Frown]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
Incredible.

It's that kind of person that needs to take charge of Iraq and help build it up.

Only a fearless, dedicated, concerned man as heroic as that, who is at home with his people, can start to build confidence in Iraq.

Unfortunately, now he's dead.

Why do the greatest deeds that are ever performed always have to be so tragic?

It's good to know, however, that such people at least exist.

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
While I'm sad that he died, it was nice to see that his sacrifice prompted others to speak out. Besides the bomber not getting what he wanted, four more potential murderers were arrested. Now if they're convicted and put away where they can't hurt anyone, I'll be happy.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that Trevor was saying that it was good the man died. I took it to mean that there are a lot of Iraqi's who do fight against terrorists, and we never hear about them, only the ones who are terrorists themselves.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Kwea got it in one, Ben - almost daily, someone asks if the Coalition deaths are worth the ill-defined and intangible goals set forth for in Iraq.

Whether our presence enabled or empowered him or not, it remains that one man took a stand and saved lives, even at the cost of his own.

For me, it is a defining point that there are Iraqis willing to stand up without the previous constraints and factionalism. I think it's more monumental than anyone would otherwise credit, if we knew more about the cultural undercurrents in this society.

-TMedina

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
I don't think that Trevor was saying that it was good the man died.
Yes, but to classify this as "not bad news", I think you have to not really care that this guy died.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
For me, it is a defining point that there are Iraqis willing to stand up without the previous constraints and factionalism.
I don't see how you get this from that story.

Because this seems to be missed in most pro-Iraq war stuff: They are not all on the same side. There is no Axis of Evil.

I think you'd get much more credit if you didn't try to flog any positive news far beyond what is warranted by its actual merit.

---

That is not to say that I don't think that there are Iraqis who are much more concerned with rebuilding and stopping the senseless violence than factionalism, but I don't see how this story establishes that.

TMedina
Member # 6649

Ahh.

>Edited<

I've posted what this story means to me - feel free to disagree as you will. As I've said before, I do not attempt to persuade people on the Iraq war one way or the other. This is no exception.

-TMedina

Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
With so many reports of Iraqi ambivalence or even approval of attacks on U.S. troops and workers, it is somewhat heartening to hear that there are those who remain willing to protect their fellows regardless of nationality.

I can't say a single anecdote is symbollic of a greater upswell, but whoever the man was, bless him.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
So how do you feel about Dubya protecting those who sell weapons to insurgents?
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much the same way I feel about spelling the letter 'W' with a 'D'.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
quote:
I don't think that Trevor was saying that it was good the man died.
Yes, but to classify this as "not bad news", I think you have to not really care that this guy died.
Not true at all. Perhaps it is true for you, but that doesn't mean your interpretation of his statement is the only correct one.

I agree that it could have been phrased differently, but oddly enough I got what he meant right away.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.