FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » In the municipality possibly called "Bull's Testicle"...

Author Topic: In the municipality possibly called "Bull's Testicle"...
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6961005.stm

This is the place where my husband's temporary lodging are located. He's taken some cool pictures. It seems like a really pretty place. A view from his window.
The beach from a passing car.

Their back garden/courtyard.

The interior of the place (CEO just visible at the table).

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool pictures. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

The camera isn't all that great, but it does seem to be quite lovely. He's more determined than ever to make things work over there, which means two things:
He really wants to bring the family over and the prospect is exciting, and... he may not be back form months longer than we thought. [Frown]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:
The camera isn't all that great

Huh. To my -- very untrained -- eye, the pictures are very good.

*hug*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Well, the camera is low res, and some of the pictures were a tad blurry. But I didn't post the blurred ones, so there's no real reason for me to mention it. *grin*

Also, I'm posting without my glasses. *giggle* Giving myself a headache as punishment for hitting the forums despite my resolution not to until I get a few things done. I thought if I couldn't see it well, I wouldn't read much. [ROFL]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:
. . . hitting the forums despite my resolution not to until I get a few things done.

*whistles innocently*
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting the photos. The area seems to bear some resemblance to the nice part of Maputo in Mozambique. (i.e. the small part of the city that has been maintained in, or restored to, pre-civil war condition) Similar roofs, courtyard, beach. Maputo was really Portuguese-looking in its architecture, and I'm actually a little surprised to see similarities in Durban.

Really exciting stuff, Olivet! But "months longer" sounds hard. [Frown]

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diana Bailey
Member # 8313

- posted      Profile for Diana Bailey   Email Diana Bailey         Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh, the place looks really lovely, and the picture of the neighborhood reminds me of my previous home in Warri, Nigeria. The garden, the ocean and the house itself are much nicer than most of the sights in Nigeria, at least in Warri-Lagos is another topic altogether. I loved my time in Nigeria and so did the children (six months and four years when we moved; we stayed eight years). It's definitely worth considering a major move just for the experience. My friends who have lived in South Africa say that it is very different from the rest of Sub-Saharan Africa, and certainly the history is unique...they might be right. At any rate, lots of folks love the place and stay for many years.

Living for several months without your husband is very difficult. I really hated it; it just seemed like he was gone for good. He changed, I changed, but we managed to stay together and ended up sharing the adventure of our lives. I hope an equally exciting future awaits you!

Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I don't know yet how it will play out, but I am grateful for all the encouraging words. [Smile]

My Beloved used to have to travel a lot for work, and we moved to Georgia to put an end to that. With Skype and email, we still manage to talk and see each other every day, but it's still hard.

He may be back in a little over a week. We don't know yet.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Olivia, the photos are beautiful.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.