FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cringe worthy answer to a question, and the state of education in our country (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cringe worthy answer to a question, and the state of education in our country
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I've actually been on both ends of the spectrum. I used to be quite comfortable with giving speeches and dramatic performances. I was the news anchor of our school broadcast, I got As on all my oral assignments. When 8th grade ran its' course, my self esteem however was beat into tatters by a group of kids bent on feeding their insecurities with my suffering. All my "friends" deserted me, and several even joined this group. They got me fired from the news program as many of my former friends were on it and it became clear to the teacher that they would rather hurt me then work with me on the news. 8th grade remains to this day the worst year of my life.

Two years later I still didn't fully realize how much that had effected me, until I was finally called upon to give a presentation in front of the class. As I commenced, and simply assumed the confidence and comfort of public speaking would still be there. I was shocked to find that I stammered on words, and mixed up simplistic sentence structures in my head, with the odd arrangements still being uttered.

It took a rhetoric class, drama classes, and some wonderful friends to get me back to where I used to be.

Now I have no idea where this girl is coming from in terms of her intellectual and speech craft. But her answer falls well within the realms of what intelligent people might state given the right circumstances. She should have just stopped, taken a deep breath, accepted the docked points for losing continuity and tried again. But she opted to just keep going and try to wrap it all together later. and her plan just did not pan out.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Who watches the weather channel?!!1!1
*sigh* I love the Weather Channel. I used to fall asleep watching it during tornado season, while wearing my shoes. I was marginally more neurotic back then.

At any rate, I was kinda joking. But look at how much ignorance is blamed on poverty-stricken kids being forced to sit in their apartment and watch TV all day because the streets aren't safe in their neighborhood. You'd think at some point they'd see the local weather.

But, if you've ever seen this image of the United States, you'll never forget what it looks like again.

edit: fixd

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Editorials have been talking about "the fact that 1/5 of Americans can't locate the US" as though it actually IS a fact just because Aimee Teegarden used the phrase "recent polls have shown." If we don't expect trained journalists to think to check this stuff, why should we expect a teenager to do it on the fly?
Whoa! This is off-subject, but Aimee Teegarden? She's my cousin!

Guess that stint in Friday Night Lights is paying off for her.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.