FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Asprin (and Nye) and the Myth series

Author Topic: Asprin (and Nye) and the Myth series
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I started reading Robert Asprin's "Myth" series when I was, oh, about ten. I gleefully devoured every book that came out, from "Another Fine Myth" to "Sweet Mythtery of Life", though the pauses between books grew longer and longer.

And then they stopped altogether for nearly a decade.

Then came "Mythion Improbable", a story allegedly taking place earlier in the series to give Asprin a chance to get back into his old series. Though not god-awful, it was significantly darker than most of the rest of the series, missed the tone significantly on main characters in several instances, and failed to recognize that if what had happened in it occurred when it was said to, certain things in later books would likely have been very different. It was the kind of book that made one wonder if the author's bitterness regarding his stated problems with the I.R.S. were boiling through into his writing.

The promised "Something M.Y.T.H. Inc." came out, and it was 'eh'. A threat that would genuinely try the abilities of Skeeve (the hero) and his cohorts had been promised, but what materialized instead was a limp and jokey play on the Robin Hood legends, intercut with lame "Lord of the Rings" references that were probably thought to be hip at the time.

Then Jody Lynn Nye signed on as co-author of the series, either (depending on who you ask) to help, to keep Asprin on schedule, to take advantage of a loophole in Asprin's settlement with the IRS, or some combination of the above. While I don't want to lay all the blame at Nye's feet, things have steadily declined from there. Jokes and puns are limp, scenes that should sparkle fall flat, enormous amounts of what we've been shown about the characters in previous books has been shoved aside or forgotten, even short novels are overstuffed with gratuitous padding (I'm looking at you, Myth-Taken Identity!), and newly introduced characters are shrill and annoying to the point of teeth-grinding (Myth-Gotten Gains.)

I went into the bookstore a while back, and "Class Dis-Mythed" was on the shelves, the newest book I haven't picked up (though I understand not the latest chronologically.) It's probably about six bucks in paperback, and yet I just can't make myself do it. It makes me sad; losing a series I grew up with is a little like losing a friend. I'm tempted to belittle the series as a whole, to suggest that it was probably never that good, and nostalgia and youth glossed over where it was lacking, but I don't know that it was.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Was it good, or was it always dross? Do you see any signs that Asprin and Nye are actually re-learning how to write the beast, or are we doomed to suffer through a struggling writer and his ghost slapping together a yearly sacrificial lamb to keep the cash rolling in?

I have to note that I picked up one of the new "Phule" books by Asprin and his other co-writer several years back, but a single one of those was enough for me to put the series aside. "Myth" has been the harder habit to cull.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read any of the later ones yet. I liked the first ones quite a bit, but as Skeeve got more powerful and "cool" the series lost a lot of its spark. Not really Asprin's fault, I didn't think - most every series dependent on the growth of the main character will gradually get less interesting as the character develops.

I liked the first Phule book, kinda liked the second, haven't read the rest. I really liked the Time Scout series, though.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard great things about the first two or three Phule books, but I never get into them. I liked the Myth series for what they were....fluff.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed the earlier Phule books as brain candy.

Jody Lynn Nye's books "co-written" with (i.e., ghostwritten for) Anne McCaffrey are awful.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Something M.Y.T.H. Inc. to tie up the series, since I too had read the previous ones in my early teens. It tied up the series adequately, which after close to a decade is about all I really expected.

I haven't read any of the other new ones, and have no plans to do so.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
....what does it say about me that I thought this thread title was referring to Bill Nye the Science Guy?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Bill Nye and Julia Childs had a love child, you know....

His name is Alton Brown.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
*SHUDDER*
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Bill Nye and Julia Childs had a love child, you know....

His name is Alton Brown.

[Big Grin]

Funnilee!

Yeah, I was introduced to the series with the Phil Foglio illustrated comic of the first book. I loved the humorous way the characters were drawn, and laughed out loud more times than I could remember. That was the only comic produced, but it was still fun.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
There were several comics produced. The first novel, serialized by Foglio, an original story by Asprin and Jim Valentino, and the second novel serialized by Ken and Beth Mitchroney.

(The second two weren't as good as Foglio's, in my opinion, but Ken used to be a local artist so I got to give the shoutout [Smile] )

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does anyone have any thoughts? Was it good, or was it always dross? Do you see any signs that Asprin and Nye are actually re-learning how to write the beast, or are we doomed to suffer through a struggling writer and his ghost slapping together a yearly sacrificial lamb to keep the cash rolling in?
Yeah, this is going to make someone who likes the books respond. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the first comics adaptation by Aspirin and Foglio, but could never get into the novels themselves -- always found them too thin, it was Foglio's drawings that really gave the series life for me.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought they were silly, but fun. I never expected much from them, so they didn't disappoint. I think some of your disappointment may come from growing up in the meantime, and becoming more discerning. It's possible, though, that I just read them long ago and quit reading them before the downturn in quality. When an author has a series that he or she knows is going to sell, it's hard not to keep going with it even when the ideas run dry.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Yeah, this is going to make someone who likes the books respond. [Roll Eyes]
If someone liked them and wanted to tell me I was wrong in my assessment of the recent editions and why, I'd be delighted. I really liked most of the earlier books in the series, and it's certainly possible that it's me who has changed, not the series, but that's not how I'm seeing things right now.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AutumnWind
Member # 9124

- posted      Profile for AutumnWind           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the early books, but the newer ones are pretty weak. I snatched up the first two eagerly as soon as I saw them... but now I have no desire to read any further.

It's a shame, really.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.