FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » In Awe of "A Storm of Swords"

Author Topic: In Awe of "A Storm of Swords"
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my gosh... I'm like halfway through this book, and I'm even more in awe of the series than before! Is there ANYONE we "truly" have the measure of yet. How can all the monsters have hearts, it's just not fair, he doesn't let us keep hating or loving anyone!
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, AGOT, ACOK, and ASOS have ruined me, not only for fantasy, but fiction in general. They really set the bar miles above what it was before.

But AFFC disappointed me something serious.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read AFFC because of the reception it got from the gang here. I figure I'll read it when the next book comes out. I'm already tired of a lot of the characters, though; I think Jon Snow is the only story I really want to follow. (And if he's dead already don't tell me. Everyone gets dead in that series eventually, it seems.)
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Noted and logged in my Books to read.

Who's the author? Nevermind, Google is my friend.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
Yeah, AGOT, ACOK, and ASOS have ruined me, not only for fantasy, but fiction in general.

You've got to be kidding.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
What are these books, by the way?
Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
A Song of Ice and Fire.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't get why people were so disappointed in A Feast for Crows. I understand that there was no Tyrion/Jon/Daenerys, which is unfortunate, but there were still plenty of interesting characters and tons of exciting plot developments. The detail, the characterizations, it was all still there and still phenomenal.

I think A Feast For Crows was slightly worse than A Storm of Swords, but that's hardly a damning indictment. It's like saying inherting 100 million dollars is worse than inheriting 101 million dollars. Sure, it's technically accurate, but you're really going to quibble over it?

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
it had a much different pacing than the rest of the books.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
For me at least, the other books seemed to move faster because it focused on more characters. The next book is supposed to catch you up with all the people you missed out on in AFFC. It will probably be another slow one if it's just the other half of the characters. Not that I'm complaining.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just don't get why people were so disappointed in A Feast for Crows.
Part of it is because too many of his fans (including this one) have been burned by Robert Jordan in the past. AFFC looks too similar to when Jordan began his downhill slide.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Fewer PoV characters? Didn't AFFC have more PoV characters than AGOT? For me it was all about the pacing--it just felt slack for most of the book. I was also disappointed by how a few of the characters were handled, but I can't really talk about that without giving spoilers.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It certainly may have had more than AGOT, but in AGOT we weren't waiting to learn more about [insert POV characters here]. It's not so much the number of POV characters, but that we didn't get to read up on the POV characters we wanted to.

My first big disappointment in Jordan was when there was a book that mostly centered on Perrin, and then in the next book, we didn't see him at all.

It's not so much the number, but that we didn't get all of the story.

I'm very much an anti-fan of splitting a novel into two volumes for publishing purposes. I hated it in Xenocide/CotM, and I still don't like it for Martin's last and next books.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the fact that he split the book up. I'm glad he did. True, I would have prefered that he released the second half, the one with Daenerys and Bran (And Jon, and Tyrion, and the Onion Knight), in really close succesion with the first. True, it would seem like a publishing gimmick, but given the size of the books, I think I'd get over it, and I want to know what happens next right now

The thing I actually wasn't so sure about was having Cersei's (SP) POV. I don't know... I just wasn't sure about it. Kind of left me cold.

When is the next one (I think it's 'A Dance with Dragons') coming out, by the way?

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
quote:
Yeah, AGOT, ACOK, and ASOS have ruined me, not only for fantasy, but fiction in general.
You've got to be kidding.
Perhaps not "ruined", but certainly "spoiled".

Sort of like how the small roller-coasters used to thrill me, but now that I've been on the big ones (and gone sky-diving), they don't have nearly the same effect.

For my thoughts on AFFC, and why I didn't like it, I will refer you to here: here.

To sum up my thoughts, without spoilers: nothing happens! After three books of fast paced chapters of world changing events, we get a book where not a single important thing happened.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

As much as I enjoyed OSC's first two Women of Genesis books, I refuse to read the last one because, by his own admission, it's only 1/3 of a novel. When I have them all, I'll read them.

I should have done the same thing with GRRM.

Xavier
Member # 405

Porter, I thought the sex in ASOIAF turned you off to them a long time ago. I guess you gave it another chance and made it through?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Yeah, Geoff convinced me that I really ought to give it another chance, so I did.

I bought a copy of one of the books used, and it had every instance of f*** marked out of the book. There were a lot of marks, and I've got to say, I was glad to have them.

ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay that's kind of funny...

Did you know it was marked when you bought it? I might be sort of annoyed at purchasing a book that had been marked up, but in this case I think I'd keep it for the...heck...of it [Big Grin] .

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I did not know it was marked when I bought it.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Were any other strong curse words marked out, or just F***? Because I can see it getting confusing if so, but if it's just the one then that's kind of cute.

Okay, I never got through the first book of Jordan's. So that's not on my radar. And I'm so young that all FOUR of the Ender books were already published when I started reading them. So that never bothered me.

It definitely BOTHERS me that A Feast For Crows is missing so many characters. I didn't like that. But with regards to the books actual content, that is, looking at what was there instead of what wasn't, I have few complaints.

I didn't feel that the pacing was off at all. Anyone care to elaborate? We could start a new Spoiler-tagged thread if necessary.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Xavier's other thread which he linked to had some good points about the pacing (although not in those terms, IIRC).
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Okay, thanks. I'll read that, then.

Edit: Okay I really want to argue with you, Xavier, but this probably isn't the thread.

And you probably don't care enough to argue back.

Suffice it to say, I guess, that I very much disagree with your statement that "Nothing happens."

I felt quite a bit of interesting things happened.

Noemon
Member # 1115

It's definitely not the thread for it, you're right, but Xavier's thread would be, and even if he wasn't interested in arguing with you about it, the chances are pretty good that someone would be.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Or if not interested in arguing, maybe a polite and enjoyable discussion?
Noemon
Member # 1115

Or that, yeah. [Smile]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Well, maybe not that polite. :pirate:
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Well, I tend to use a more general definition of arguing... just, a discussion involving two people with differing views, discussing said views and each trying to prove that their view is better. I know "Argue" in our culture tends to imply vehemence or rudeness, but I don't usually think of it that way.

I love Hatrack precisely because most of the arguments are so polite and enjoyable. [Smile]

Xavier
Member # 405

Absolutely Dan, I would love to discuss things with ya.

Bump my thread with your counter.

Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Heh, I've gotten side-tracked reading all the plot discussions and theorizing. That and work have stopped me from writing a reply, but I will soon.
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I just finished it today... WOW! There were so many points where I just wanted to cry!

I' downloading AFFC right now. I'm really dissappointed that I won't be getting to find out more about Jon. Grrr! Still, I'm excited.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I' downloading AFFC right now.

Legally...?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished a book of short novels called "Legends". It has a short novella from Anne McCaffrey's Pern, Goodking, and a Fire & Ice story. What a difference!!!
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
I just finished a book of short novels called "Legends". It has a short novella from Anne McCaffrey's Pern, Goodking, and a Fire & Ice story. What a difference!!!

... I don't think those two are fit to carry his palanquin.
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Robin Hobb, however...

I actually enjoy the Dunk and Egg stories more than the rest of the series.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.