FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Women SF/fantasy authors (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Women SF/fantasy authors
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be Diane Duane. Love, love, love her Star Trek books, like the Young Wizard series, varying degrees of like for her other work. You can download a free copy of her book "A Wind from the South" here.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll echo many of the ones listed here, and add Kate Wilheim, Elizabeth Ball, and Holly Lisle.

I liked Lackey's urban fantasy works more than the Valdemar ones, but I'm also a sucker for a well-reasoned magical system. Most of her stuff is mind-candy for me. Also a fan of her Aerie series.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

And Gael Baudino. Liked her elf series, was left cold by her elements series, and "Gossamer Axe," problems and all, remains one of the favored books I reread at least once a year.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
She was a Wiccan and a free spirit when she wrote Gossamer Axe, the elf books and the dragon trilogy. And then she became a Quaker and apparently decided that all of that was wrong. It shows in her writing. I couldn't even finish that Water! series.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know; I read some Kate Wilhelm stories in The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction and I thought them a little sloppily written. The language was quite unmemorable to me.

Joyce Carol Oates has also written some fantasy/horror stories for that magazine. At least in those stories, she has a very tough style that I find appealing.

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Ha! I knew if I listed a favorite book Lisa would know about it. It's kinda eerie.
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
I love hatrack.

[Smile]

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
You can download a free copy of her book "A Wind from the South" here.

She has a free short available for download as well. I liked the short; Wind was too long and winding for my tastes. And while I did like reading about the founding of Switzerland (something I only know a very little bit about), and enjoyed the Romansch folktales woven in, that wasn't enough. Especially since it was only the first book in three. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
Ha! I knew if I listed a favorite book Lisa would know about it. It's kinda eerie.

It's one of my favorites.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan B.
Member # 10093

- posted      Profile for Nathan B.           Edit/Delete Post 
JKR of course. I also like Ursula Le Guin's EarthSea series and Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series. I'm sure there are other SF and Fantasy books by other female authors I have read and liked, but I can't think of any more off the top of my head. However, I can't think of many male SF/Fantasy authors I like off the top of my head either (Card of course, Tolkien, and Rick Riordan).
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, I'm halfway through the first Harry Potter (at the point where they're about to start flying lessons) and it isn't drawing me in as much as I'd hoped. There doesn't seem to be much driving the story along; it's just Harry going through various situations at school. I know from the movie that Voldemort (or is it one of his servants?) enters the story by the end, but I don't get the sense that the story is heading toward a confrontation with him.

I know OSC says the later novels are better than the early ones, so I suppose I'll stick with it.

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing as this thread came back up I can't understand how I failed to recommend Tove Jansson in my earlier post. Her Moomin books are the best young adult fantasy ever written. The first book is called The Moomins and the Great Flood, though I'd recommend reading Comet in Moominland (the second book) first as that's a better book and more similiar in tone to the later ones.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Alice B Sheldon/James Tiptree Jr

I couldn't remember her names earlier. She's a SF author who wrote under a male pseudonym for a long time.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miro:
Alice B Sheldon/James Tiptree Jr

I couldn't remember her names earlier. She's a SF author who wrote under a male pseudonym for a long time.

Racoona Sheldon
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.