FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone want to read a story I wrote and tell me if it's crap? *bats eyes becomingly*

Author Topic: Anyone want to read a story I wrote and tell me if it's crap? *bats eyes becomingly*
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm taking a short story class at uni right now, and although I've been writing since I was old enough to dictate, I don't usually do short stories. I am nervous as can be about permitting my class to read this, and I would love to have an objective opinion or two before I go under the knife. As it were.

Thanks! [Smile]

Jenny

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
You can email me a copy through the forums, would you prefer my response within the forum or just by email?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam Tyler
Member # 10595

- posted      Profile for Pam Tyler   Email Pam Tyler         Edit/Delete Post 
Same for me, Fyfe. But you may have to read one of mine someday and give me your opinion.
Posts: 25 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
You'll probably get more responses if you put it online where everyone can get to it.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to read it.
email lakerk AT gmail.com

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You'll probably get more responses if you put it online where everyone can get to it.
DO NOT DO THIS!

Stick with the emails. Don't throw away the publication rights by posting it here. For heaven's sake.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think he meant to post it all here. More like on a web site with limited access.

However, I have no idea what that would do to those same publication rights..

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
I don't think he meant to post it all here. More like on a web site with limited access.

It wouldn't do anything to publication rights, even if put on a website for all the world to see.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't claim FIRST publication, which is what most publisher's want. The story is yours to sell, just people are less likely to want it.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivygirl1937
Member # 10918

- posted      Profile for Ivygirl1937   Email Ivygirl1937         Edit/Delete Post 
Only if you return the favor. [Smile]

JK, I'd be happy to. My short story, however, is in a thread, whereas yours isn't.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

You're all such lovely people. I've emailed it to you, and if you could reply via email, that'd be better for me. Thanks so, so much.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:

It wouldn't do anything to publication rights, even if put on a website for all the world to see.
You've used up both first publication rights and electronic rights.
Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Technically speaking, Matt P is correct. However, most editors will not purchase a work that has been posted on the internet for free.

So it winds up being the same thing.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wondered about publication rights as viewed by publishing houses. AFAIK, most (all?) of them aren't set out by statute, so its just a question of the common law, case law, custom, and contract. It must be a confusing area.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

quote:
That's not true. You would still own the copyright, but some of the specific publication rights would have been used.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

quote:
Originally posted by TL:
quote:
That's not true. You would still own the copyright, but some of the specific publication rights would have been used.
Not necessarily. Putting it online temporarily on a low-traffic, unlinked, personal web site would not necessarily constitute a publishing event.

I'll concede though that if Jenny is planning to (or wants the option to) sell this story, then better safe than sorry. I hadn't considered that possibility and I was thinking more of copyright rights as enforced by law rather than publishing "rights" which are a matter of convention.

enjeeo
Member # 2336

- posted      Profile for enjeeo   Email enjeeo         Edit/Delete Post 
Feel free to email it to me if you don't already have enough feedback.

enj

Posts: 2451 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

Yay. Yay. Thank you. I've sent it.
TL
Member # 8124

quote:
Not necessarily. Putting it online temporarily on a low-traffic, unlinked, personal web site would not necessarily constitute a publishing event.
And you'll concede, I'm sure, how that scenario is different from the one I was responding to.
MattP
Member # 10495

quote:
Originally posted by TL:
quote:
And you'll concede, I'm sure, how that scenario is different from the one I was responding to.
I don't think I had proposed anything specific enough to constitute a "scenario."
TL
Member # 8124

For crying out loud, dude.

quote:
even if put on a website for all the world to see.

MattP
Member # 10495

Oy. I didn't exactly mean to get it published on CNN. Every public web site is "for all the world to see" but relatively few will be seen by any significant number of people. Most of us would have to go to some effort to get something published on anything BUT a "low-traffic, unlinked, personal web site."
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, if you're still sending out your story, I'd like to read it. My email is in my profile.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

Er. Is it? I don't see it...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.