FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Oh most wise people of Hatrack...

Author Topic: Oh most wise people of Hatrack...
Nethy
Member # 6462

- posted      Profile for Nethy           Edit/Delete Post 
...I need your advice.

So. I'm a senior in high school. Actually, more accurately, I'm a super senior. I moved from Utah to Georgia last January. I would have graduated this May from my small Utah high school. However, in Georgia, credit requirements are much different. I was told that I would need to stay a fifth year. I accepted this, and am now enrolled in my fifth year of high school. However, it turns out that the credits they had me scheduled for were not quite the credits I needed in order to graduate. There was much schedule changing and tweaking and it came out that the only way I could graduate from a Georgia high school was to take a very full schedule, drop all electives, and even take a zero period class. I balked. and began to research another way. I discovered that the college I wished to attend--the University of Kansas (for special ed., what I am DEFINITELY majoring in)--would accept me with a GED. And with good ACTs and SATs, I feel pretty confident I would be admitted. I discussed this with my parents, we decided it was probably my best option.

If you got through all that, I congratulate you and thank you. Here's the last part, where it's a little less complicated.

In December I'm dropping out of high school (parents want me to at least finish out the semester), taking the GED, and... and... well, that's the thing I don't yet know. My original plan was to go back to Utah, where there was a school for severely disabled students that I had interned and volunteered at. I would work there, live with friends, save some money, and be ready to go to Kansas in the summer. (Because you see I have to gain my Kansas residency before I can go to school) Problem: I have to be 18 to work at the school. I won't be 18 until May.

So, wise friends of Hatrack what would you do? Should I move back to Utah, find whatever job a seventeen year old with a GED can and scrap by? Stay in Georgia, and work at the nearby grocery store? Move to Kansas and scrap by there? I should probably add that I am visually impaired and so cannot drive. Is there a third option I am not aware of?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Posts: 16 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Sue the school for hindering your graduation; live high on the three million dollars a sympathetic jury will no doubt award you.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Stay at home and work at the grocery store. You'll be able to save more money that way, because it will be cheaper than living with friends.

Other things you should consider:

In order to pass the Georgia GED, will you need to know the things they are trying to get you to take this year in school? Would it be a good idea for you to take some extra time without working to study for it without taking it?

How long do you need to be a resident in Kansas in order to qualify for in state tuition? It might be a full year. I'm assuming in state tuition is why you want to establish residency.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nethy
Member # 6462

ElJay,

I'm pretty confident that I'll pass the Georgia GED. I've taken some practice tests and done well. So I don't really know if studying more will help at all.

And yes, I need to be a resident a year in order to qualify for in state. Yes, in state tuition is why I need residency.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have any family in Kansas?
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
What about taking the GED in Kansas? Would that be advantageous, or is it just because you need the GED to work in the mean time?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have someone to stay with in KS, I'd say go there. If not, stay home. Don't go to Utah, at least not before you're 18-- the job market there is not good for people under 18 (so I've heard.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
So why wait 'til May? Move in December when you finish the semester, get a job there, and then you can start school Spring semester 2008.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Transfer your residency to Kansas ASAP, hopefully by just changing your mailing address to a family members address. That can establish residency.

Stay at home, and save money. I can't explain how important that is, or how much easier it is to save while living at home.

Or move in with family (or friends if they're willing to let you) in Kansas and start working.

[ September 11, 2007, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how much they differ from state to state, but I know a few people who took the MN GED and said it was ridiculously easy. If you have good ACT and SAT scores, I'm betting you won't have much trouble with passing a GED.

Sounds like you already knew that from the practice tests, of course.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you check to see if the Kansas school offers any type of out-of-state tuition waiver? That's what I did when I moved right before my freshman year of college. I got it based on my high school grades (the requirement wasn't high.)
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any good advice to add to the things people have already said. I just want to wish you luck with whatever you decide!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zenox
Member # 8987

- posted      Profile for Zenox   Email Zenox         Edit/Delete Post 
You are totally going to move to Kansas, cause that's where I live. ^_^

Eh... I'd probably say don't go back to Utah, try and move forward.

Posts: 58 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
My first concern is that you won't be 18 until May but you want to move in December. Because you're legally a minor until May, you cannot enter into contracts, including a lease. Therefore, you need an adult someone to live with and who will be legally responsible for you until your birthday, whether it's Utah or Kansas.

I think your best bet is to stay in Georgia with your family, work somewhere locally to save money for school and living expenses until some time after your birthday. Once you're 18, move to Kansas to establish your residency for college.

I hope it all works out for you!

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nethy
Member # 6462

Thanks for all the advice!

Couple things: I do have family in Kansas, yes. Aunts, uncles, grandparents. I wouldn't be able to stay with any of them on any kind of long term basis though, due to their current circumstances. But I also have family Utah, and friends who have offered already to share an apt.

Also, I have to ask...is starting college mid year anything like starting at a new high school mid year? I've done that, and though I'm sure it's not the worst thing in the world, I don't know if I want a repeat experience yet.

And also ALSO, in order to qualify for gaining residency, am I correct in saying you have to be 18 in order not to just be associated with your parents residence? Would I have to be emancipated if I were to start trying to gain my Kansas residency in December?

Sorry this is so complicated, I appreciate all you guys have to say!

Nethy
Member # 6462

Goody--totally posted before I saw your post!
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

In order to pass the Georgia GED, will you need to know the things they are trying to get you to take this year in school? Would it be a good idea for you to take some extra time without working to study for it without taking it?

Without telling us what it was, my sixth grade teacher gave us the math portion of the NY GED. If I remember correctly, I passed with flying colors.

I wouldn't be too worried about passing, unless it has changed a bunch in the last 10 years, or if the test is considerably harder from one state to the next.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Transfer your residency to Kansas ASAP, hopefully by just changing your mailing address to a family members address. That can establish residency.
That's not enough to establish residency in Kansas. The state of Kansas is not known for generosity toward out-of-state residents. There's more than one requirement, and you need to check the rules very carefully.

On a good day, I could recite to you all the rules, but I'm not having a good day today...sorry. Contact the admissions office at KU and ask them about residency requirements. Then get a second opinion and compare the two. Good luck.

(This comes from a lifelong Kansas resident, who works at a community college and has known a few out-of-state friends who were surprised at the residency requirements.)

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
The GED is crazy easy, everywhere. If you got decent grades through, oh, 6th grade, you can probably pass the GED. If you've got most of a high school education, you'll breeze through it.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Tstorm is right in that it takes more than a mailing address to establish residency.

Save as much money as you can, and check and see if you can start any junior colleges while you're waiting to turn 18 and move. That way, you can knock out some requirements before you even get to Kansas and junior college is much, much cheaper than a university. Plus, if you maintain a great GPA in your junior college courses, you may qualify for a transfer scholarship or get out-of-state tuition from your university of choice.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
You could take college classes in GA or UT. In GA, if you maintain a B or better, you get the Hope Scholarship.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBlueShadow
Member # 9718

- posted      Profile for TheBlueShadow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Will B:
You could take college classes in GA or UT. In GA, if you maintain a B or better, you get the Hope Scholarship.

In Georgia if you maintain a 3.0 or better you qualify for HOPE, but there's also the residential requirements.

There were some basic changes starting with the class of '07 but I'm not particular on what they are.

For GED Requirements:
http://www.gsfc.org/Main/publishing/pdf/2007/hope_ged_grant_regs.pdf

I think the residency depends on whether or not a person is considered in-state through the USG.

quote:
An independent student who has established and maintained a domicile in the State of Georgia for a period of at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the first day of classes for the term shall be classified as “in-state” for tuition purposes.
http://www.usg.edu/student_affairs/faq/residency/policy403_704.pdf

So I suppose it would depend on how long it had been since Nethy had moved to Georgia. Definitely an option, if you qualify, to get core classes out of the way.

- [Wink] current HOPE recipient

Oh, and for those of you just passing through, buy a lottery ticket while you're here. Every little bit helps.

Posts: 96 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tstorm:
quote:
That's not enough to establish residency in Kansas.
That's not enough to establish residency (for purposes of in-state tuition and/or state financial aid) for any state I know of.

Worse news: I don't know if it's true in Kansas, but in most states, a minor's residency is generally assumed to be the same as their parents'. You may not be able to establish Kansas residency -- whether you move or not -- until you are 18. Especially since many of the things that can be used in most states to establish residency (registering to vote, getting a lease or mortgage, etc.) cannot be done until you are 18.

Yup.
quote:
For students under eighteen or not emancipated, residency is determined by the parents.
And wow, Kansas is REALLY strict:
quote:
The following circumstances, standing alone, ordinarily will not constitute sufficient evidence of a change to Kansas residence: voting or registration for voting in Kansas; employment in any position normally filled by a student; lease of living quarters in Kansas; a statement of intention to acquire residence in Kansas; residence in Kansas of a student's spouse; KS vehicle registration; acquisition of a KS driver's license; payment of KS personal property taxes; or continuous enrollment in a KS postsecondary educational institution.
Establishing residency in different states.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, one other thing. There are residency requirements for the GED too. And you cannot take the test while enrolled in high school.

quote:
Details about local eligibility requirements may be obtained by calling (800) 62-MY-GED.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And wow, Kansas is REALLY strict...
This is because people are lining up for miles to become citizens of Kansas.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that about sums it up. You have to be:

1. A registered voter.
2. Live in the state for a full year.
3. Register your vehicle (pay taxes on it) in Kansas.
4. Get a Kansas driver's licenses.
5. I'm not sure if you actually have to be employed and paying income taxes to the state, or not.

Good luck.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
School4ever
Member # 5575

- posted      Profile for School4ever   Email School4ever         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way starting college mid year is nothing like starting high school mid year. Each semester is completely independant of every other semester, and your classmates will also change with each semester and class, especially with the general ed classes.
Posts: 188 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The state of Kansas is not known for generosity toward out-of-state residents.
Unless, of course, you're an "illegal immigrant" in our fine state, and then you get full rights AND in-state tuition! (yep).

Welcome to Kansas! While the University of Kansas is not my favorite place (even though I attended there for awhile) it definitely is one of the best for the field you are choosing.

I will tell you this much -- depending on your SAT and ACT -- you may not have to "graduate" high school at all! My son skipped from high school to college at 15 based almost entirely on his SAT score.

(They can chose to 'overlook' things if you're a good student and they want you)

If you need any help while you're here, let me know. (although I know nothing about you, other than your age).

Farmgirl
(my other son got a GED, if you want info on that!)

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nethy
Member # 6462

Farmgirl--actually, I would love to hear about your sons experience with the GED. Many people I tell my decision to have an immediate negative response. Has he experienced the same stigma? Also. hope this isn't too personal, but what part of Kansas are you in? I'm originally from Olathe/Overland Park area, but have family in Wichita and in some township (don't remember the name) somewhere by Eudora.

Tstorm--If I leave in January to Kansas and become emancipated, I will be living there, have a Kansas ID (no driving=no vehicle), and have a job. I think this is enough, and obviously I'll become a registered voter as soon as I turn 18. Do you think so?

This thread has been really, ridiculously helpful. Thank y'all a ton.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.