FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » quidscribis?

Author Topic: quidscribis?
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Just heard there was a possible tsunami heading for Sri Lanka. Hopefully you're on the opposite side of the island today.

edit:
quote:
"Earthquakes of this size have the potential to generate a widespread destructive tsunami that can affect coastlines across the entire Indian Ocean Basin," it said, warning that waves could hit Indonesia and Australia within an hour, and Sri Lanka and India within three hours.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. I'll have to check that out.

Thanks for the warning. As a general rule, we're safe. We live inland 15 kms or so, and even the last bad tsunami only came inland about 2 km at its worst points. We're really really unlikely to feel it where we are. Also, we hardly ever go out, and even more seldom go to Colombo or elsewhere close to the ocean... Anyway, we're at home, and we're not going anywhere. I'll keep checking the news. Thanks for the heads up. [Smile]

Okay, found a news source. It's (theoretically) a 7.9 on the Richter scale, so less than 1/10th the magnitude of the big one. But I see no information yet as to the size of the possible waves or which areas are most likely to be hit. I would guess that the areas to be hit are most likely the same as last time, but with a smaller quake, there should be less damage. Right?

ETA: Fahim says we'll be in bed by then, so we'll grab some supplies and stash them in the bed with us. [Wall Bash] <-- And that's his head I'm bashing against the brick wall. Just sayin'. [Razz]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I thought you were far enough inland; but I also know natural disaster can wreck local economy and supplies and whatever plans you might have had. (assuming one actually hits)
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, it can, but the last one only affected food supplies for a few days, then everything was back to business as usual, except for those directly affected, of course. We bought groceries yesterday, so we're fine for a while anyway.

Local economy is already in the toilet with ugly inflation.

As for plans... We have none. [Smile] We're very serious about our homebodiness. [Smile]

Thanks again for alerting me (us), and thanks also for your concern. [Smile] And speaking of groceries, I have to go make din-din. And possibly breakfast for Fahim, too. We find out tonight if Ramadan starts tomorrow or not.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Good thoughts headed your way. Do you fast for Ramadan along with Fahim?
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrowGirl
Member # 345

- posted      Profile for CrowGirl           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Quid, thanks for the reassurance. I heard about the earthquake and tsunami heading your way, and my first thought was I hoped you would be all right.

And have a good Ramazan (as it's pronounced in Turkey).

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

According to this news source, the tsunami from last night was only two feet high. Yay. Hardly high enough to damage anything, or much. Whew!

Uprooted, I haven't fasted with him yet. I'm usually worn out enough from lack of sleep - he has to wake up around 4 or 4:15 in order to get his food shoved down, and I (almost) always wake up when he does, and have a harder time falling asleep again. So I end up being tired and irritable, too, although not nearly as bad as him. And with the health problems I've had, fasting has just not been a good idea at all.

Crowgirl, thanks! It's pronounced Ramalan in the Maldives... [Smile]

Oh! Ramadan didn't start today. Perhaps tomorrow.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Boy -- you guys are just really rockin' and rollin' over there, aren't you? [Wink]

Four earthquakes in 24 hours....

(8.4, 7.1, 7.8, 6.2)

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Oh, really? I knew about the first two...

I looked for info on any possible damage to Sri Lanka, but there's nothing in the news. It seems that the wave was, at most, a meter high. Thank heavens!

On a side note, Ramadan starts tomorrow. With Fahim waking up at 3:45am. *sigh*

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear that the earthquakes/wave didn't affect you.

That sounds like a brutal schedule. I'm a whiner about the once-a-month LDS fast (which I'm sporadic about observing). Also a whiner about sleep disruptions. I'm impressed that Fahim and so many others honor it so faithfully (I also liked your post above with further explanation).

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yeah, I'm impressed with the faithfullness, too, believe me. [Smile]

The neighborhood gossip mill (which, yes, is very fast) hasn't mentioned anything about any damage here, so again, it sounds like there's nothing. Which is, of course, good news. [Smile]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know how many days in a row it's okay to fast? When I do the LDS fast of 24 hours, I always feel great and not at all hungry at the end of the 24 hours (though I get headachey and weak earlier on.) I feel like I should just keep on fasting for longer. I think my metabolism is actually one that's well-adapted to fasting, so I think it might be a healthy thing for me to fast more often or for longer periods of time, but I can't find any information about whether it might be bad for you, and in what ways. The last thing I need is more health problems.

I found out that fasting every other day doesn't work well. I just get very hungry on the eating days, and I sort of get into a boom-and-bust cycle where I eat too much every second day.

But I'm thinking that a longer cycle might work well, if I fasted for two days and ate for two days, for instance, or fasted for 3 and ate for four, or something like that. But I want to know what the risks would be. Does anyone know?

(I drink clear calorie-free liquids when I'm fasting. I would get very ill if I didn't, I think. I've never tried it. Since I'm so diabetic I drink a lot of water, caffeine free diet coke, sugar free fruit punch, etc.)

I admire someone who could go all day without drinking anything. I certainly couldn't.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

USA today article about fasting.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't recommend fasting for more than a day or so. If you do, you basically reprogram your body to think you're starving. It's kind of a famine response, when you do eat, your body will convert more calories into fat than you actually need, figuring that it will be a while until your next meal. It can really screw up your body's ability to convert food into energy.

Ironically, the same thing happens if you eat too much.

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Other than that, everything I can find about it is from sources that seem suspect. I want peer reviewed studies! [Smile]
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
'Course, I can't seem to find anything to back up my point [Dont Know] So I don't know whether or not my advice is sound or if I'm just spouting out a metabolic-myth I overheard once.

I do know that an excellent resource for this question would be your doctor. [Smile]

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Yeah, Epictetus, people will say fasting is bad, and others say it's a cure-all, some day only 1 day at a a time, others say a week or two or even more is fine. I just wonder if anyone really knows, and if it's dangerous to even try it. I could ask my endocrinologist, I guess. He knows the most about how the body uses food of anyone I've ever met or heard of.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.