FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Chris' adventures in NC

Author Topic: Chris' adventures in NC
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like I will be attending a seminar at UNC-Chapel Hill this Friday and Saturday, which leaves me with a Friday night so far unfilled with excitement and adventure. Can anybody in that area of North Carolina suggest something interesting or tasty I shouldn't miss?

[ September 20, 2007, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Me! Well, I'm in Durham, and I'll be around Friday night... and I don't think I'm particularly tasty...
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Cat's Cradle! It's a Kickass venue right outside of Chapel Hill (Carrboro) It's THE venue for shows coming to the Chapel Hill area. I've seen probably close to 50 or 60 shows at that place. It's great! Outside of that, I spent most of my time in Cary or Raleigh.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like I will also be limited to whatever's within a cheap taxi ride from my motel. Sigh.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Where are you staying?
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
If you like beer, I modestly suggest Carolina Brewery on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill. If you like fine foods, I suggest "A Southern Season" at the mall in Chapel Hill. There are some great restaurants on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill, You can hardly miss, they're all good. What I used to like to do was walk up and down Franklin street, looking in stores, eat when I feel like it, etc.

Note--by "Franklin Street", I mean, "the part of Franklin Street that's next to campus".

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Holiday Inn, on N. Fordham Blvd.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Not a beer drinker, but random roving of shops is good.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

My trip will be me arriving in Chapel Hill late Thursday, watching "Mad Men," and going to sleep. Getting up early enough to find breakfast and a cab to get to the seminar at the college at 9, staying there till 5, then either doing something with the other seminar-goers or, if we repel each other or they all have pre-existing stripper-related plans, me finding dinner somewhere and either doing something else or heading back to my room to read and/or write (new Discworld book already loaded in my Palm). Saturday morning more breakfast and cab-hunting, second half of the seminar only I won't make it to 5 cuz I'll have to leave early to make my plane home. Not a lot of meandering time, unfortunately.

Or I could stay up all night Friday partying and getting my freak on, but I suspect my work would suffer the next day. Also my freak takes very little time to put on and is almost indistinguishable from my normal self.

steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
See, my freak is totally DIFFERENT from my normal self.

OK.......not really.

Franklin street, next to campus, will easily provide entertainment of several evenings worth, for almost anyone, from broke students to wealthy Boomers, and everything in between. That's all Chapel Hill really is, mostly.

I'd meet you to say hi, but I'll be headed to Greenville, SC after work Friday to meet mah sweetie. I could come by Thursday night, but it sounds like you'll be getting in a little late.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

In NC now, at the Holiday Innacross from the Eastgate Mall. Too dark to see most of my surroundings, but within range there's a Boston Market, a bagel shop, and a comic store. My lifestyle is assured.
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure you check the restaurant rating before eating somewhere. I believe you can usually find it in the store window.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Agreed. They're usually quite prominent, unless the place is like the Wendy's outside of Oxford. Then it's kind of hidden... [Wink]
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

At UNC-Chapel Hill now, during a break from the Flash class. Cool stuff. I'm in the intermediate class, meaning I'm faking enough basic knowledge so I can learn scripting. Mostly I'm smiling a lot and saying things like "Yeah, I can do that. Um, you do one first, to see if you do it differently..."

Looks like the group may be going to Top of the Hill tonight, whatever that is. We shall see.

Meanwhile, remembering why I like NC. Cool breezes, more in the horizon besides just sky and palm trees, sweet tea everywhere.

Also remembering why I like college campuses. Beautiful grounds and buildings, full of people who, for the most part, are inquisitive and fun to talk to. I love the zillions of clothing and hair styles. I love the sheer potential brimming in most everyone you see. And where else will see that many people wearing shirts with Oscar Wilde quotes?

I need to learn something well enough to teach it in a university. I just want to hang out here, which if you're not a student or teacher is just creepy.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.