FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone ever work at Barnes and Noble?

Author Topic: Anyone ever work at Barnes and Noble?
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a job interview tomorrow at our local B&N and I'm looking for some advice.

I had applied when they were hiring cashiers but didn't hear back for a few weeks so I called them. The manager I talked asked about my cash-handling experience (seeing on my resume that I was currently working a bank) and said she might have something for me. But she called back yesterday and mentioned something about a part-time position "working the floor" so I'm guessing customer service?

I'm pretty miserable at my bank job (constantly being asked to do responsibilities that aren't mine, being scheduled for more hours that I was hired for) so I'd really like this job.

I'm good with your basic interview questions but what might B&N ask that would be specifically related to their business and company? Do they want people who are book-knowledgeable or sales eager?

I'm guessing they're going to ask why I want to leave my job at a the bank. I want to be honest without saying anything inappropriate or that sets me in a bad light. What things should I be conscious NOT to say?

What is the pay like? How is it relative to your local level of mininum wage? (For instance, the kids at McDonalds get "minimum wage" but that's around $7 here.) I make $9 at the bank with a 50 cent raise in a month and won't leave if B&N only wants to offer me $5.75 or something. What tips are there for knowing when and how to negotiate for better pay? I don't want to be taken advantage of but I also don't want to lose a potential job because I was too pushy with my wages.

[ September 24, 2007, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Shanna ]

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Niki (Valentine014) has spent a few years working there (though not in the last couple of years). I'll be sure and direct her to your thread.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluenessuno
Member # 5535

- posted      Profile for bluenessuno   Email bluenessuno         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you can get into a lead or management position (35 hours/week) your pay will may not be comparable... unless the manager believes your exceptional experience with people and money warrants above minimum starting wage. BN is now hiring for The Season and LA. store may need an additional Head Cashier (supervising position).
If you wish less hours and more pay try Fed Ex (labor intensive).
Can you not reiterate your fall schedule availability at the bank?

Posts: 61 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on being offered a position, they are very desirable, but not because of the pay. Expect a seasonal worker to earn around $6/hour. If I remember correctly, the pay for seasonal workers is not negotiable. If you don't want the position, there are about 100 other people who will take the job at that rate. With the exception of leads (mini-managers of each section), assistant manager and the store manager, all positions are part-time. This means that no matter how many hours you work, good benefits will never be available to you. Floor work means being a "bookseller." Your responsibilities will include putting books away, organizing shelves, inventory, alphabetizing, answering phones, putting in orders, and of course, helping customers find books.

The discounts are awesome. 30% off most books, 20% off music/dvds, and 50% off of cafe items. Twice a year they have an employee appreciation week and your discount becomes 40/30/50.

During the holidays, the evening shift can sometimes stay as late as one hour past close in order to clean up after messy shoppers who don't kn ow how to put away their books. You will always have to work either a Saturday or a Sunday each week. Overall, the will work with a personal schedule. That is very appealing.

Interview questions: Be prepared to tell them what your favorite book is. Also, think about customer service issues you have dealt with in the past and how you have handled them.

Good luck!

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Valentine014:
With the exception of leads (mini-managers of each section), assistant manager and the store manager, all positions are part-time.

I wonder if that might differ by store? I only worked at B&N for a few months after college, but I was hired full-time and I wasn't a lead (though if I'd stayed I would have been).

I really, really loved working at B&N. The other employees were great and most of the customers were pretty good. Even if they do routinely come in and ask for the red book that was on the table in front of the door two weeks ago. [Wink] Plus, it's books. That's always a good thing - even if too much of my paycheck routinely went right back to B&N.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluenessuno
Member # 5535

- posted      Profile for bluenessuno   Email bluenessuno         Edit/Delete Post 
p.s. “I'm hoping to find a job that is more accommodating to my school schedule.”
Do you need to say more than that? You are interviewing BN too, “can you compete with my current wage? These are the days I need for school. What are the days you require more coverage?”
Customer awareness and book-knowledge, not necessarily avid reader. Outside interests will correlate; your courses will make you a resource, correct? And there is music and games and journals and plush toys!
Valentine014, you forgot the hardcover two-week book loan and the free in-store-play cds.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

I've heard bad things about the pay and it always made me wonder if any of their employees are able to make a living or if their job is just like a hobby. I was kind of hoping for a head cashier position or maybe a back office job dealing with the money. Bookseller is preferable to a general teller position (would be more stimulating for me) but all the booksellers at our location are atleast 5 or 10 years older than me so I'm worried that my age (22) could play against me. But I know its something I would be good at. Thank for the tip and I'll try to remember to talk about my education which included a "Great Books" program meaning I've read the classics (and a few obscurities) in a variety of disciplines and subjects.

I know about the upcoming season because Books-A-Million wanted to give me a call in a few weeks for a position. It might be worth it since there's a possibility that I'll be moving in January. There are stores in the city so if I like it, maybe after the season is over I could apply for a position there.

And what qualifies as part-time? Are we talking something as small as 15 or 20 hours? I'm working 30 now and would probably be happy at 25 but I couldn't afford working any fewer hours than that.

Good to hear about the scheduling because I'd much rather work Saturday as opposed to Sunday (when my bf does his weekly lesson planning). The bank said it was "flexible" but so far, what they really meant is that they're seriously understaffed and I'M the one expected to be flexible and work 38 hours a week, 2 hours short of the full-timers but with half lunch break and half the benefits.

And its funny you mention Fed Ex because someone else suggested that or the Post Office but considering I haven't gone 3 months at a time without health problems, manual labor would probably not be good for me.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard great things about Fed Ex. I actually know people who keep working there a few hours a week, just to keep the benefits- health care, cheap flights, cheap shipping.
When my husband worked at BN, on the floor meant not working in the cafe.

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
$6/hour? Wow. That information alone would keep me at the bank. Let those other 100 fight over less pay than I was getting working fast food. But then, banks around here hire in tellers at $8-$10 and have pretty decent benefits.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I worked part-time at a local B&N, on the floor first, then in the music section almost exclusively. I started, as part-time, at 7, and after three months or so moved up to 7.25. I retained that until I quit about a year later.

I don't know how much they're pushing that Membership Card of theirs, these days (although I know they have changed some of the benefits) but I got a lot of flack from one of my managers for not selling enough of them to customers. Truthfully though, if you're not a book lover, but merely an average shopper, it was a waste of money. I never said so to customers, obviously, but I wasn't exactly the most enthusiastic when suggesting it. [Smile] So, yeah. At least in my store, at that time, selling membership cards was a huge deal.

But i liked the job, would probably do it again if I could afford to [Smile]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

It can't be any worse than being asked to push new credit cards on customers who already have three and are late make minimum payments on maxed-out balances.

Personally, I like to think my soul is worth more than 9 bucks an hour.

bluenessuno
Member # 5535

It will be worth $9.50!
Jobs do not equal your soul; your future careers and life goals do, yeah?
Find a job on campus.

Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wonder if that might differ by store? I only worked at B&N for a few months after college, but I was hired full-time and I wasn't a lead (though if I'd stayed I would have been).
This may be the case, that is just how my store worked.

quote:
Valentine014, you forgot the hardcover two-week book loan and the free in-store-play cds.
I totally forgot about that! I worked in the music department for a time and pretty much played whatever I felt like playing.

quote:
I've heard bad things about the pay and it always made me wonder if any of their employees are able to make a living or if their job is just like a hobby.
Hobby or sugardaddy at home. I would've worked there forever if I no longer needed to pay rent.

quote:
And what qualifies as part-time?
I think that was 15-20 plus, but overtime is encouraged during the holidays.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluenessuno
Member # 5535

p.s. think poise not age and the worry could vanish.
Shanna
Member # 7900

As to the campus/school suggestions, I am currently writing my thesis from home so I'm four hours away from my college.
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It can't be any worse than being asked to push new credit cards on customers who already have three and are late make minimum payments on maxed-out balances.
You couldn't pay me enough to do that.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I would love working at a bookstore as long as I didn't have to do any selling.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And what qualifies as part-time?
At my store, over the holidays, they worked all part time people 32 hours a week. And the way it worked at my store, and it sounds like at your store, is that booksellers double as cashiers. So in a given day you'll probably do both. I really liked this setup because it adds variety to the job and makes you a lot more knowledgeable about everything in the store.

Good luck!

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

Well, the first interview went alright. Crazy questions though. "Remember a time when you exceed your own expectations" or "Remember a good experience you had as a customer." A few of those would fine but it was several pages worth. Gah!

But I got through and had my interviewer laughing a few times so hopefully she liked me.

She called today and we set up another interview on Monday with the managers.

But I don't think I'll take the job unless I can successfully negotiate some changes.

She said starting pay is $8/hour which is a dollar less than I get now, which isn't too bad. Might be worth my sanity. However, she said they were only looking for 15 or 20 hours and though more will be available during the holiday season, I'm worried they won't commit to any real hours and be wishy-washy. I had a job like that once where one week I got 40 hours and the next I got 10 hours. And I can't survive on that kind of pay/hours if I want to be building my savings account.

I'm going to go to the second interview and see if I can get lucky and get some hours. I mean, why hire a bunch of seasonal people when I'm here asking for 30 hours?!

I wish I could demand some sort of non-grunt job considering I've been in cash-handling and customer service jobs for the past 5 years. She did ask if I've ever been a supervisor but I've never worked in a position where that advancement was available. I've always answered directly to the highest manager and no one else.

We'll see, I guess.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.