FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Foreign Movies

Author Topic: Foreign Movies
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife grew up speaking Italian as a second language, and I took German in high school and college. But we haven't heard the language in so long that we've just about forgotten them.

Does anyone here happen to know of any good movies we could add to our Netflix queue that were filmed in either German or Italian and subtitled in English? We've already got Lola Rennt and La Vita e Bella, but aside from that the field is pretty well open.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Goodbye Lenin! is a pretty good German flick. Humorous & engaging. Here's a review.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
You might consider Gegen die Wand or Das Leben der Anderen. Haven't a clue as to what Italian films might be good.
Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Der Untergang is the only German movie I've ever seen, and it left me stunned, amazed and a little disturbed.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Run Lola Run was in German, wasn't it? And Cinema Paradiso is definitely Italian.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Run Lola Run == Lola Rennt [Smile]
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Das Boot - awesome film, and better for being in German than dubbed into inglis.

Stalingrad is an other cheery* hartwarming* romp* through the Nazi retreat at Stalingrad.

Goodbye Lenin! is worth learning German for. Really. It's a great film.

Il Postino is another good film, in Italian this time. Worth snuggling up to your better half on the sofa for this one. [Wink]

*may contain traces of irony.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I was also going to recommend Il Postino. Another favorite Italian movie is Una Pura Formalita, although I can't vouch for Gerard Depardieu's accent (not being a native Italian speaker, or an Italian speaker at all for that matter). If you like classics, you might also check out Ladri di Biciclette.

As for German, I really like the two films Der Himmel uber Berlin and In weiter Ferne, so Nah!, but they should be watched in conjunction. Also, they are a little esoteric, so don't rent them expecting a Lola Rennt type experience.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Das Boot?

(my favorite foreign film is The City of Lost Children, but that's French.)

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
If it hasn't already been mentioned, what about that German flick that won best foreign film at the Oscars, robbing the Pan's Labyrinth,
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loren
Member # 9539

- posted      Profile for Loren   Email Loren         Edit/Delete Post 
"Il postino" is not only my favorite foreign film, it may be my favorite movie of all time. "Mediterraneo" and "Il mostro" (with Roberto Benigni) are pretty amusing comedies.
Posts: 100 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
The Lives of Others is a fantastic German movie. It won the Oscar over Pan's Labyrinth last year. I don't know if that was just, but it's such a good movie that it's concievable.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
JonHecht may be thinking of "Into Great Silence," a documentary of sorts on a Carthusian monastery. If it isn't, I still recommend it. It is fabulous.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Werner Herzog. Try Fitzcarraldo, and as companions pieces the documentaries Burden of Dreams and/or Mein liebster Feind - Klaus Kinski (My Best Fiend). Fiend is not a typo for friend--Kinski and Herzog have a bizarre love/hate relationship.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking of "The Lives of Others". Thanks, Javert for making up for me being too lazy to google it.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Ach du lieber Vonk....

You and your crazy Amerikan funnies jah!

Here is a list of the most "important" German films from the German wikipedia - you should find something to tickle your fancy. I might be nipping off to amazon.de myself...

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

*ahem* Broken Lizard is a Canadian comedy troup, therefor I consider Beerfest to be a foreign film. [Smile]
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Wow, lots of great additions to my Netflix queue today. Thanks a lot everyone. I showed my wife The Bicycle Thief once, and she cried for hours. But I'll let you know what I think of the rest of them when they come.

Does anyone else watch foreign-language films to brush up their mad skillz? How does it work? Any non-German/Italian favorites?

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
How about comedy, like Johnny Stecchino with Roberto Benigni? It's the only Italian movie I remember watching, and I found it mildly entertaining. Grented, that was a long time ago and I was an easily amused youth, but still.

*EDIT*
As for other films, the only others I remember watching are Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (which I loved) and Mujeres Al Borde De Un Ataque de Nervios (which wasn't my style, but a decent movie nonetheless. Nominated for an Oscar and, for you ladies, has Antonia Banderas speaking Spanish).

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually found watching Pan's Labyrinth to be helpful in brushing up on my Spanish. It was fun to pick out the differences between the way things were actually worded and the way the subtitles were written.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Gah! Forgot some more...

La Femme Nikita in French.

I'd recommend some Asian movies, but don't know how you feel about "over the top" John Woo violence and gunplay with movies like The Killer, Hard Boiled and others.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
There are so many good German movies! I second Goodbye Lenin, and you should also try The Edukators , The Harmonists, and Sophie Scholl: The Final Days.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Best Japanese movie I've ever seen: Battle Royale. Oh so much wonderful teen violence. Glorious.

And, even though I already mentioned it: The City of Lost Children (French)

Also, Oldboy is a pretty cool (South Korean)movie. But also very violent. And a little odd.

Edit: and to add some British flare, Time Bandits is a great kids film. Very bizarre.

David Manning
Member # 2076

- posted      Profile for David Manning   Email David Manning         Edit/Delete Post 
Titanic
Posts: 49 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Speed:
Any non-German/Italian favorites?

Most of my favorite foreign movies are French. Particular favorites are Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources, Ponette, Les Parapluies de Cherbourg. I've got it on good authority that I will love Au Revoir, Les Enfants as soon as it gets to the top of my recommendation stack.

I'm also a big fan of Babette's Feast (Danish), Eat, Drink, Man, Woman (Chinese/Mandarin), Raise the Red Lantern (Chinese/Mandarin).

I'm sure I'll think of some more soon.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
Mujeres Al Borde De Un Ataque de Nervios (which wasn't my style, but a decent movie nonetheless. Nominated for an Oscar and, for you ladies, has Antonia Banderas speaking Spanish).

My 10th grade Spanish teacher showed it to us in class. We were a little wierded out. My teacher said she wouldn't have shown it to us if she had watched it first. It was a rather strange movie to watch in school.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed the Italian L'ultimo baccio. It was remade by Zack Braff into "The Last Kiss," but the original is smart and funny.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eduardo St. Elmo:
You might consider Gegen die Wand or Das Leben der Anderen. Haven't a clue as to what Italian films might be good.

Seconded here, though he may be more likely to find it if he knew it by its English title..."The Lives of Others."

I saw the film two nights ago and totally adored it. It deserved that Oscar!

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
Der Untergang (German)
Les Quatre Cents Coups (French)

Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loren
Member # 9539

- posted      Profile for Loren   Email Loren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Eat, Drink, Man, Woman (Chinese/Mandarin), Raise the Red Lantern (Chinese/Mandarin).
Seconded.
Posts: 100 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GForce
Member # 9584

- posted      Profile for GForce   Email GForce         Edit/Delete Post 
I second (or third) "The Lives of Others" and "Der Untergang" (The Downfall.)

Morbo: "Fitzcarraldo" was actually filmed in English. Herzog said he preffered the dubbed German version though.

Posts: 127 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

For Spanish viewers, try "El milagro de P. Tinto". It's one of my favourite films, and well worth and airing.

"Sin noticias de Dios" is another good one, to see Ms. P. Cruz acting in her native tongue.

I agree with Ph about Pan's Labyrinth. It's a good film, but I needed the subtitles.

Frecnh cinema has a wide and varied selection, but for my money you can't beat the "Three Colours" trilogy or "Amelie". Bon chance!

anti_maven
Member # 9789

Oh, and if you want the "English as a Foriegn Language" experience, you could always try "Sir Henry at Rawlinson's End" a classic, and mostly forgotten. You might find it on *cough*eMule*cough* or somethng similar as it's no longer available in the shops.

Here's the trailer on youtube.

Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miro:
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
Mujeres Al Borde De Un Ataque de Nervios (which wasn't my style, but a decent movie nonetheless. Nominated for an Oscar and, for you ladies, has Antonia Banderas speaking Spanish).

My 10th grade Spanish teacher showed it to us in class. We were a little wierded out. My teacher said she wouldn't have shown it to us if she had watched it first. It was a rather strange movie to watch in school.
Well, we watched Eyes Wide Shut in school... It was in junior high and we had this teacher who had real problems in keeping discipline and saying no to students.

Anyway, non-American films:

Au revoir les enfants is the best film ever made, and highly recommended. Other good French films about childhood (because let's be honest, the French make the best films about childhood in the world) include at least The 400 Blows and La classe de neige.

Les parapluies de Cherbourg - my favourite musical of all time even if other people than me usually find it unbearably cheesy.

Children of Paradise - considered to be the French "Gone with the Wind", an epic love story between a mime and the woman he loves in 1828 Paris. The movie was filmed during the Nazi occupation under downright impossible conditions, it's a wonder it got finished at all. Many of the film's extras were Resistance members who used the film as a cover in getting in touch with each other.

And if you want to see a newer French film, the 2004 film version of Arsène Lupin was quite fun even if the plot makes no sense. It did offer quite a beautiful steampunk world and a great performance by Kristin Scott Thomas as the main villain.

When it comes to Italian cinema, Battle of Algiers is definitely worth viewing since it's the best war movie ever made. Other good Italian films include The Gospel According to St. Matthew, The Trilogy of Life (actually that's three different films: Decamerone, Canterbury Tales and Arabian Nights) and the Don Camillo series. (Plus of course the italowesterns with Clint Eastwood...)

Spanish cinema: I'd recommend The Devil's Backbone by Guillermo del Toro which I enjoyed much more than his later, overrated Pan's Labyrinth.

A great German film not yet mentioned (I think) is Requiem about a girl who thinks she is possessed by demons. Based on a true story that also inspired the absolutely idiotic American film Excorcism of Emily Rose.

Farewell My Concubine - this film tells the story of China's history in the 20th Century through three people involved in the Beijing Opera. Very epic, and clearly establishes Gong Li as the best actress in the world. The film was banned in China due to its portrayal of the Cultural Revolution and of homosexuality.

Happy Together - the story of the rather destructive relationship of two gay guys from Hong Kong who are stranded in Buenos Aires.

If you want animation the Russian versions of Snow Queen and Jungle Book are a must see, as is Shakespeare: The Animated Tales, a collection of 12 short films made by the Russian masters for BBC.

Hmm... ok, that's just scratching the surface, I guess, but I don't have time for more right now. Hope this helps.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GForce
Member # 9584

- posted      Profile for GForce   Email GForce         Edit/Delete Post 
Gong Li as the best actress in the world? Sounds far-fetched. I'll freely admit that the only thing I've seen her in is "Memoirs of a Geisha". Perhaps not the best example.
Posts: 127 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I haven't seen Memoirs of a Geisha but usually actors/actresses perform best in their original language anyway.

And anyway, at least in Farewell My Concubine Gong Li's performance is astounding, and it made the Premiere Magazine's list of 100 best movie performances of all time. Though of course she is far too low on that list, obviously she should have been first.

Oh, another non-American film everybody should see: 3-Iron, a very bizarre Korean love story.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluenessuno
Member # 5535

- posted      Profile for bluenessuno   Email bluenessuno         Edit/Delete Post 
Bella Martha (German)- Mostly Martha, which was remade as No Reservations with Zeta-Jones.
Posts: 61 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

I just finished watching The Lives of Others, and I had to come on here and say thank you to everyone who recommended it. I got it from Netflix, and as soon as the movie ended I ordered it from Amazon. I've never done that before, but that was one of the best movies I've ever seen in my life.

Usually when movies last more than 2 hours, even when they're good, I'm checking the clock by the end. But this movie was so well paced, the script was so tightly written, and it was so convincingly acted and directed, that I didn't even notice. Every plot point was necessary, logical, and totally gripping. One of the rare movies of its length that didn't have a single extraneous moment.

I could write an essay explaining everything I loved about that movie. But I'll just sum it up by saying that my wife and I both cried, and I'm sure I'll be pondering what I just saw for days. Thanks again, Hatrack gurus, for the stellar recommendation.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Farewell My Concubine - this film tells the story of China's history in the 20th Century through three people involved in the Beijing Opera. Very epic, and clearly establishes Gong Li as the best actress in the world. The film was banned in China due to its portrayal of the Cultural Revolution and of homosexuality.

Happy Together - the story of the rather destructive relationship of two gay guys from Hong Kong who are stranded in Buenos Aires.

Awesome movies. Two of the best ever.
I can't even watch them again because it's so sad about Leslie Cheung.

I love Akira Kurasawa. He rules. And the Japanese version of Shall We Dance, it has this guy in it with pretty eyes, and a movie called Shower, I forgot the name of this Norwegian movie about 2 developemental disabled guys outside of an institution trying to live on their owns.
Then there's 1900, that movie was cool.
There's a lot more movies I like, but I can't think of them right now.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.