FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What languages do you speak? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What languages do you speak?
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
English: natively
German: gets rustier every day.
portugese and spanish: enough to make my way around a bar is all. By no means is it smooth when I speak either of these two, but the native people don't seem to mind because I'm at least trying to speak something not english.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
English (native language)
Hebrew (semi-fluent, though these days when I try to say something in Hebrew it tends to come out as Japanese)
Japanese (conversational, though slightly rusty)
Spanish (vaguely remembered from high school)

I also know some miscellaneous scraps of Quenya.

And since we're apparently counting programming languages, I'll add Python to the list.

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
I speak English and Irish fluently and have conversational French.
Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
English: native
German: used to be near-fluent, but now at the "academic research" level (I can follow the TV news and can read a book with a dictionary on hand.)
Bengali/Hindi: a few words and phrases, although I'm planning on auditing a year-long intensive Hindi course next year

I know that Abhi can speak/understand at least Hindi, Bengali, Urdu, Gujarati, Kashmiri, Punjabi, Marathi, Maithili, and Assamese (and English, of course). Comes from being an Army brat in India, as well as studying Sanskrit in school for 8 years. Now, if only I can convince him to become a US citizen and join the CIA for the language signing bonus...

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
German: also at academic research level (but fading)
Romanian: conversationally fluent, decent reading level (also fading)

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
German: used to be near-fluent, but now at the "academic research" level (I can follow the TV news and can read a book with a dictionary on hand.)
Bengali/Hindi: a few words and phrases, although I'm planning on auditing a year-long intensive Hindi course next year

I know that Abhi can speak/understand at least Hindi, Bengali, Urdu, Gujarati, Kashmiri, Punjabi, Marathi, Maithili, and Assamese (and English, of course). Comes from being an Army brat in India, as well as studying Sanskrit in school for 8 years. Now, if only I can convince him to become a US citizen and join the CIA for the language signing bonus...

Are those languages in high demand at the CIA?

I had a friend who was Chaldean, he spoke or could at least understand a half dozen different Arabic languages, I can't remember them all. Assyrian, Arabic, Chaldean, Farsi, and a couple others. He went to the CIA and turned in an application to be a translator for them, but they turned him down because he couldn't read and write those languages. And that's in languages that are in VERY high demand.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Native English speaker, took Japanese, Hawaiian and Latin in high school.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:

Are those languages in high demand at the CIA?

I know I've read somewhere (probably on a recruiting flyer at my college's job fair) that Hindi, Urdu, Bengali, Punjabi, and Gujarati all had signing bonuses. Abhi reads and writes Hindi & Bengali, and could probably pick up all the others quickly, since they share similar scripts (except Urdu, which is a modified version of the Arabic script).
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet he'd get Urdu quickly, too. The alphabet is phonetic. Plus, it is increasingly written with roman characters, so he could just start writing it like that until he picked up the alphabet.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
?
Member # 2319

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
Elvish
Dwarven
Entish
Klingon
Vulcan
Romulan
Mandalorian

?

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Norwegian, English, German.

C++, Java, enough shell-script to get around, random bits of Lisp, Ruby and Tcl. And I used to be fluent in Turbo Pascal, but I don't know if I still am.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Tzadik was complaining earlier this evening that I didn't post about him in this thread. Apparently he can't do it himself because that would be...something bad.

So! My husband speaks

Slovak
Hungarian
Czech
English
French

and has forgotten Russian.

I'm leaving out languages he doesn't actually speak fluently, as the list of passively understood or partially spoken languages would be pretty long.

...I'll never catch up with that. [Frown]

[ October 10, 2007, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Lissande ]

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slim
Member # 2334

- posted      Profile for Slim   Email Slim         Edit/Delete Post 
SELECT Language, SkillLevel AS 'Skill Level'
FROM LanguagesIKnow
WHERE SkillLevel > 0
ORDER BY SkillLevel DESC

Posts: 172 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Saephon:
English as my native language.
Took several years of Spanish, and I got quite good at it...not perfectly fluent though.

Am now taking Japanese and after only six weeks I'm coming along surprisingly well [Smile] I picked up my nearest manga last night and I can't believe I was able to read several lines of dialogue. Screw Kanji though >_> <_<

This is strange, I was about to write nearly this exact same post.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
English, and Maori (to an extent).

I used to be very fluent in Maori and went to a school where we weren't allowed to speak English. However, in the ten plus years since I stopped studying Maori, I've lost most of the fluency in speaking although I can still generally understand most of what I read or people say.

I also took Japanese and French at school but sadly about all I can remember is greetings and how to count!

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
In order of fluency:
English(native)
Spanish(not fluent, but I can convey my meaning, at least haltingly, and understand what's said, at least if it's said slowly enough.)
French(self-teaching in all my non-existent free time that I feel like studying French)
Italian(I can understand some... a little... and only get the vague meaning of what's being said usually, if that)

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.