FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What languages do you speak? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What languages do you speak?
Kelly
Member # 9576

- posted      Profile for Kelly   Email Kelly         Edit/Delete Post 
Since many people here seem to be bilingual, or at least have some knowledge of another language, I was just wondering what languages those were.

I have a major in Spanish (not quite fluent yet) and Have taken a semester of ASL.

You?

Posts: 104 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly:
...taken a semester of ASL.

You?

27/m/usa

...sorry, couldn't resist. [Razz]

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
English.

A bit of French and German, but definitely not fluent by any stretch.

Fahim, the hubby, otoh, has a longer list. In order, they are... Sinhalese. Tamil. Arabic (bits and pieces). English (bigger vocabulary than many native speakers and with better written English, too). Hindi.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I can speak multiple dialects of English, from British/Irish/Scottish to Australian, Indian, and European accents. I'm also good at New York, Boston, mid-west, Canadian, then hillbilly southern, southern gentlemen, country southern, and after watching The Wire long enough, ebonics.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
English and Spanish to speak and read. I took 17 hours of German at the University, once upon a time. The only good I got out of it is that I can read Beowulf on a good evening.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
English (bigger vocabulary than many native speakers and with better written English, too).

Me too.

Oh, and Spanish.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loren
Member # 9539

- posted      Profile for Loren   Email Loren         Edit/Delete Post 
In order from most fluent to least:

English
Italian
French
Latin
Spanish
Ancient Greek
Japanese
Provençal

And bits and pieces of: Akkadian, Veneto, Furlan, Bolognese, Fiorentino, German.

Posts: 100 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I am fluent in over six million forms of communication
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Akkadian? Sheesh.

I know English, and I'm semi-fluent in French.

I know a few words of Russian and bits and pieces of Assyrian from coworkers.

I wish I knew ancient Latin and/or Greek (Doric, not Ionian, I'm a fan of Laconian history).

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Fully fluent in English, French and Arabic. Bits and pieces of Spanish and Italian, the counting system and some other choice phrases in Japanese.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I know enough French to get by, but that is it.

This summer I am starting a new tradition, where I will devote most of my time to learning a new language (starting with Latin), or at least enough that I can communicate, or read, depending on which language it is. If it is Arabic then I will be satisfied with knowing how to read it, etc.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loren
Member # 9539

- posted      Profile for Loren   Email Loren         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I forgot! I now know about 50 words in Turkish. I've been learning a few in preparation for a Mediterranean trip this month.

I thought about learning a little Maltese, too, but since nearly everyone there speaks English or Italian, I've spent my time doing other things. Like clearing my schedule so I can take a Mediterranean trip. [Cool]

Posts: 100 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
English (natively).
Latin.
Some French, to read, and less to speak.
Old English, with a dictionary and grammar cheat (it's been a while).

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by brojack17:
I am fluent in over six million forms of communication

*snort*

I speak French, although it's getting pretty rusty.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
English as my native language.
Took several years of Spanish, and I got quite good at it...not perfectly fluent though.

Am now taking Japanese and after only six weeks I'm coming along surprisingly well [Smile] I picked up my nearest manga last night and I can't believe I was able to read several lines of dialogue. Screw Kanji though >_> <_<

Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Besides English, Somali--I've actually lost the ability speak Somali (I can't formulate sentenses--the words simply don't come fast enough) but I can still understand it fairly well, an ability which seems to be going away too. I often find myself asking my mother to repeat instructions in English. Not a fan of the 'use it or lose it' aspect of language...

And I'm also in the middle of a foreign language sequence at my community college mainly to meet the requirements of certain colleges I'm trying to transfer to. I chose Arabic because I thought I'd find it less grueling than, say, German, given how the Somali language appropriated a fair amount of arabic words...like door, gold, etc. But I was wrong. I had no such advantage and now I have to struggle as much as the other students. BUT my pronunciation is often not as atrocious as theirs, so at least I have THAT.

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
In order of fluency:

English
Spanish
German
French
Basque

and bits of Dutch/Flemish, Greek, Hebrew and Welsh. I started doing Japanese but it's all gone now.

I met a guy while travelling who could say "I am a windowsill" in 14 different languages. A remarkable skill, but one I fear that will do little to help him in later life... [Wink]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
English
Mandarin Chinsese
Bites and pieces of other chinese dialects
Latin
Hebrew

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
* Dutch
* English
* German (can understand it, but haven't had much occasion to use it actively of late)
* Frisian (can't speak - or more specifically I refuse to - but I can understand it)
* un petit pue de Français

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm only truly fluent in Finnish and English...

But I can understand Swedish and French. Well, I can speak them too, although it takes me time.

Currently studying Japanese and Chinese, though will probably drop one of them off at some point.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
English, Dutch and a little German.

I've set out to learn Welsh several times, but never got very far with it.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
English - native language

Portuguese - can hold my own in a conversation but struggle a bit with say, reading a newspaper

Studied French in high school and college and have forgotten nearly all of it, sad to say

Spanish - a little bit of it in high school mixed with my Portuguese means I could probably fake may way through in an emergency if I had to

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Polish
English
German
French

bits of Portuguese
about 5 words of Luxembourgish

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I have made myself a Languages priority list. I am planning to learn

French (better than I speak it already, which isn't terribly well, just about conversational)
Arabic (I know a few words of this)
Portuguese
Mandarin Chinese (I have a few words)
Italian

That's The Plan. Pimsleur is my friend.

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
English and Latin
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
strictly when it comes to spoken:

English
Cantonese (casual conversation)
Mandarin (bits and pieces from a couple courses)
French (remnants of forgotten mandatory grade school classes)

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Mi tocadisco esta discompuesto!

And I know most of the important swear words in Catalan.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
I've taken university and university level courses immersed in both Spanish and (now) Portuguese. I speak them passingly, and understand them both to be almost completely functional. Football announcers still talk a little bit too fast for me to keep up.

Otherwise, I speak English reasonably well.

Oh, and from all reports, Pimsleur is quite good so long as you commit to it.

Edit to add: If you are capable of translating any foreign language to English, Kiva.org might be able to use your help. The list of languages for which they are currently soliciting help includes Spanish, French, Khmer, Ukrainian, and Russian. They also note that Amharic, Armenian, Bengali, Dari, Haitian Creole, Mongolian, Pashto, and Sinhala may be needed in the near future.

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mi tocadisco esta discompuesto!

Como se llama la chica nueve?
Lets stick with the practical stuff.

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
English and enough French to get by. I can read IPA (so long as it's an English dialect) if that counts.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I am working on Japanese.

But listening to Japanese music most of the day doesn't count.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liaison
Member # 6873

- posted      Profile for Liaison   Email Liaison         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm only fluent in English.

-Took two years of French in high school and have forgotten most of it.
-A half-semester of Scottish Gaelic in college.
-Currently taking a semester of ASL in college (which I'm loving) and learning Japanese on my own at a very casual pace.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

If Kat's going to list Latin, then I get to add these:

• BASIC
  • Pascal
  • Ada
  • C
  • FORTRAN
  • C++
  • Visual Basic
  • Java

EDIT: Redundancy.

EDIT: Redundancy.

[ October 03, 2007, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

I hope this doesn't seem rude, but.... how old are you?
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Me? um . . . ::does math:: . . . 35. I think.
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:

• BASIC
  • Pascal
  • Ada
  • C
  • FORTRAN
  • C++
  • Visual Basic
  • Java

Was waiting for that... [Smile]
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, what's wrong with listing Latin? It's a human language, still used, even. No, we don't speak it much, but most students learn to both read and compose it. The Vatican still publishes in it, and there's a Finnish radio station that broadcasts in it. Dr. Suess and Harry Potter have been translated (among other works).
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Those only count if you can compile Latin. [Razz]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Well, you don't compile BASIC, so at least give me that one. [Razz]
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I speak Blayne and all of its dialects.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
English and some Spanish. My Spanish gets a lot better after a few weeks in a Spanish-speaking place.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:

I'm only eight months older and I'm at least three languages up on you. You need to catch up!
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
oh oh oh i know some BASIC!
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
i used to be near-fluent in German, and even taught it during the summers at Concordia Langauge Villages in Minnesota. i havent spoken much of it for over 2 years because i had to change my major from International Business to Marketing and Finance. The school i transferred to didnt have IB in its business school.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
quote:

I'm only eight months older and I'm at least three languages up on you. You need to catch up!
You have yet to list the languages.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
quote:

You have yet to list the languages.
In addition to those that he listed:

C#
VB.Net
80x86 Assembly Language
Prolog

Slim
Member # 2334

- posted      Profile for Slim   Email Slim         Edit/Delete Post 
code:
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

void main()
{
cout <<"J'ai étudié français pour trois ans dans le lycée, "
<<"et Je prends français maitenant à la université.\n";

cout <<"\nAs I'm a CS major (software engeneering emphasis),"
<<" I know several programming languages. But I am most familiar with C++.\n";

}

Posts: 172 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vyrus
Member # 10525

- posted      Profile for Vyrus   Email Vyrus         Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently in IB Spanish. I am far from fluent but I am damn near conversational. [Big Grin]

I'm enrolled in 1st year German, for which there is not an advanced course, and am progressing very well. Due to schedule confusion I cannot take Japanese until my senior year.

So I suppose that I do not speak languages, but am rather speaking.

Allow me to make a language priorities list as several of you have

Spanish [am becoming conversational, very well so far.]
German [Paternal side native language, progressing well]
Japanese [by end of college]
French, by 35
Arabic, as soon as possible for full study of the Qu'ran. [I am not Muslim but am interested.]
Greek, as I am going there for a year.

edit:And of course, Elven. Ancient, not modern.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
English more or less
Smattering of Spanish but I do surprisingly well when I visit Spanish speaking countries.
A few words in Arabic, German, French, and Mandarin.
Various dead programming languages.

If I could chose a language I'd really love to know, it would be Spanish. It's a beautiful language. I'm in love with it. [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
English, natively
Cantonese, natively conversational. about half literate

basic Mandarin and Russian. I graduated with a degree in Russian but it still needs a lot of work. My Mandarin is somewhere at grade school level. I'm at approximately the same level for those.

A long time ago I took classes in
German
Japanese
Spanish
Latin

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.