FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Pro-Life 3rd Party vs Pro-Choice Rudy/Fred/or Mitt? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: A Pro-Life 3rd Party vs Pro-Choice Rudy/Fred/or Mitt?
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...

I'd rather the folks I vote for hold MORAL convictions rather than political convictions. [Smile]

But I'm not convinced of Romney's sincerity. And I'm definitely not convinced that he's good for the US.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd rather the folks I vote for hold MORAL convictions rather than political convictions.
And what do you think distinguishes the two?

I could point to plenty of people who have moral convictions about how they treat their families, say their prayers and so forth but whose political convictions I find highly immoral.

I would far rather have a athiest womanizer who supports care for the poor, universal medical care, diplomacy, environmental responsibility and social justice for President than a Christian family man warhawk who is determined to loosen environmental regulations, cut medicaid, medicare and social security, favor the rich and destroy the social safety. In my experience, the kind of moral values a person demonstrate in their private life have very little correlation with the kind of ethics and morality they value in politics. A president has far more impact on the moral questions involving things like human rights, how we care for the poor, the sick and the elderly, war and peace, than a president has on question like whether people choose a gay lifestyle or an abortion.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
Well, Mucus, I'm sorry for everything I said prior to what you just posted. And since what you just posted was provoked by me, I'll have to take part of that on my head. And I'll take your slams against Mormonism as an odd sort of compliment, since I think there are groups you wouldn't tease.

Oh, thats ok. There is no need to apologise. I figured there was an honest miscommunication and it did not seem like you were trying to take offence or anything. Thats why I wanted to clear it up.

As for the second part ... maybe. Although I wouldn't go that far myself.

As a quick analysis, the only groups that I can think of that I would not tease are groups that would be inclined to take hurtful offence for what I consider a justified reason.

e.g. making fun of Jews for the holocaust, Chinese people for the Nanjing Massacre would be supremely jerky. For something more close to the topic, I would be personally disgusted by someone that made fun of mothers that had abortions. For something more grey on this forum, I am a little uncomfortable with making fun of Lynn Johnson for her failed marriage

That said in those cases, it is not so much that they are different in a fundamental way from groups that I would tease, but that any reasonable person in their positions would be hurt.

I dunno, how did you originally read that as a backhanded compliment? Simply because I figured Mormons would be tough enough to take the abuse? [Wink]

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit:

Don't confuse a strong sense of morality with religious expressions of that morality.

:shrug:

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The reasons to be sceptical of Romney's conversion story are not evident in the story itself but rather in the context. Romney's
"conversion" to opposing legal abortion happened at a point when he transitioned from being a politician in a liberal pro-choice state to courting the conservative religious right for the republican presidential nomination. It is that context and not the details of his conversion that make the story suspect.

I agree - and pretty much stated so above when I mentioned convenient timing. If the story itself wasn't believable to me, I wouldn't bother trying to resolve my suspicion one way or the other. Since it is, I need to move to the next step of the analysis.

To be honest, I doubt I'll actually have to resolve this particular issue. Because of the screwed up primary schedule, the nomination is almost certain to be locked by the time I get to vote.

If Romney is the candidate, I'll have 8 months or so to figure this out.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you like Romney better than McCain, out of curiosity?

quote:
I dunno, how did you originally read that as a backhanded compliment? Simply because I figured Mormons would be tough enough to take the abuse?
That seems a decent assessment of how I meant it. I think the relevant term would be "fair game".
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Why do you like Romney better than McCain, out of curiosity?
I don't, yet.

With McCain, I think he has too cavalier an attitude about free speech.

Moreover, his grandstanding during the baseball steroids scandal annoyed me. Not enough for me not to vote for him (I haven't decided that yet) but enough, coupled with several other instances, to think that he might be as much of a political opportunist as Romney is accused of being.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

So, you mean he is too quick to stem free speech?

The word that folks kept using for him during the 2000 run was "temperment". He didn't have the "temperment". But he's no Kerry or Dole, either.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
So, you mean he is too quick to stem free speech?
Yep. I've posted at length about it aspects of McCain-Feingold before.
pooka
Member # 5003

I'll check around.
Okay, that does sound familiar. How ironic that it was probably not their intended effect.

I'm a little alarmed at the claiming of a constitutional right to free speech by a group, as opposed to a citizen. What do you think, should I bump that thread to discuss it?

I believe your case at UVA had to do with equality of access by groups, and certainly what's fair is fair. It just suddenly jumped out at me as written in the Post article that my link rests on.

P.S. My thinking on language, intent, and groups is all influenced by my field (linguistics) so I'm prone to radical statements.

[ November 09, 2007, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.