FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Percy Jackson and the Olympians

Author Topic: Percy Jackson and the Olympians
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Link. My cousin (he's 49 and I'm 44) just recommended this book to me. It looks wicked cool, but I wanted to see if anyone here has read the books in this series, and whether they liked them or not.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the first one in the series, The Lightning Thief. It's definitely a fun read, full of action, and my students (especially the boys) really love it. It's definitely clever, but I didn't love it enough to read the sequel, although I certainly bought copies of it for my students to read the sequel.

Hm. My final word: It's good, but there's lots better out there in terms of adolescent speculative fiction.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Liz. I'll probably give it a try.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
My eldest read it last year and loudly proclaimed it the best book ever. [Smile] My youngest begged to be allowed to read it and promptly lost it. I plan to read it when I find it...
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
It's good enough to keep one reading. It improves with each book in the series, though I sometimes wish the author would focus more on showing than telling. Case in point: We're told a lot about who Percy's best friends are, but rarely do we get to see why they're such great friends. In contrast, we get to see quite well why Percy has an adversarial relationship with certain other characters.

Plus, for every creative usage of Greek myth (Percy can talk to horses because his father created horses! Neat, eh?) there's something so obviously based on the Potterverse Paradigm that I wince. [Wink]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
My younger sister got The Lightning Thief from the library and refuses to return it until I read it.

She says it's awesome. It's so funny seeing a thread about it right now... But I'm right in the middle of reading my first Tarr book (The Holy Grail)

But I love Greek Mythology... A Quick Question... Has anybody ever played Zeus: Master of Olympus?

It was by Sierra and Impressions games, the only city-building game I really liked (Pharaoh was okay, but nothing like Zeus.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.